API Scrutinizes GM GEOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you could take it at face value, that they want to create one formulation with a distinct consumer friendly mark for identification that is approved for all of their engines. On the face of it, that does not seem like a bad idea.

Or you could be a cynic, and say it's all about the licensing fees.

I suspect it is a bit of both, they probably do want their own standard, and if they can make some money to offset some of their losses through licensing, so much the better.

Well, if they (GM) pull this off you can expect the price of oil to go up. Pretty soon all of the oil companies will be making Multi-Purpose motor oil like they have with ATF.

Lets see, new API SN GF-5 for all of your North American and Asian automobile, except the new GM spec oil, and the new All-American Multi-Purpose oil for everything under the sun.

This is an inventive source of new revenue.

Rather than coming up with new forms of making profits, in my own opinion they'd be better off concentrating on first principles like building good reliable/cost effective vehicles, the kind people in 2009 want to drive, at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
What they will do is make boutique oils the more economic option for consumers.

That's true, if it wasn't for ford and honda, 5w-20 might be pretty hard to come by at reasonable prices.

I'm glad to see them raising the standards for their motor oils. GEOS A and GEOS B both show improvements in acceptable volatility (13% VS 15%) and they seem to be using the standards of the ACEA C3-07 for much of their criteria.

As for underhood royalty rates, I could only imagine they're referring to things such as putting a oil brand on a cap or using placards that specify a particular brand or product. The rates are considerably higher than the current API rates and if this does go into affect in the first half of 2010 (factory fill)as expected I'm sure it will add to the price of lubricants. Service fill isn't expected to hit until 2011.

GM is finally following the European standard and requiring a HT/HS of 3.5 minimum for their gasoline engines in Europe (GEOS B standard).

I'm stocking up on Amsoil and other SM rated oils before the price goes up and the ZDDP and other additives that are toxic to the Cats go down.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Rather than coming up with new forms of making profits, in my own opinion they'd be better off concentrating on first principles like building good reliable/cost effective vehicles, the kind people in 2009 want to drive, at a reasonable price.

Yeah, but this is easier.

Well, I guess I see this as continuous improvement. Maybe some of you guys would prefer us to still use solid tyres, but we've moved on from there, haven't we? And hopefully we will continue to move on.

We're held back, Whitewolf. Auto manufacturing is strangled by conflicting complications. It's what makes the original S10 almost as much of a gas hog as a full size ..or rather a full size challenging it for economy. Some Europeans call the US auto industry retarded. Not in the nasty sense, but in how we have to massage every evolution so much that by the time it makes it to market, it's obsolete. You can see it in direct comparisons from identical cars across the ocean. By the time they import it ..it's not worth it.

Soon we'll have the safest cars that no one can afford that are compensated for to the nth degree in technological hoop jumping.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm stocking up on Amsoil and other SM rated oils before the price goes up and the ZDDP and other additives that are toxic to the Cats go down.
27.gif

ZDDP is not going down in GF-5/SN. What they will be doing is measuring the amount of P loss in an oil. This should actually make the oil better, by having standards to keep the P in the oil..where it belongs.

The article linked in the top post was published February 11 2009. Not much has changed since then, except General Motors went through bankruptcy and is shutting down or selling off a lot of its capacity.

If GM wants to have a single oil as the original fill in every one of its engines, then it can cut a deal with one of the oil companies. But the idea that it can establish a standard, then collect an enormous royalty on each quart of oil sold that meets its standard, will almost certainly meet a great deal of opposition. Consumers are cheapskates, they will not pay extra for a GM certification after they figure out the engines will last just as long with an API SM or CJ oil.

I predict that in 20 years GM willhave everyone running on EVOO and you might be able to get it with a galic infussion unless they find that garlic kills GM cat's!!!LOL

I hate the all the current alphabet soup of different gear lubes and oils and fluids and coolants etc......It is absolutely stupid and has been for some time! Just another money maker for them. Hopefully someone will say sorry and not play their game and instead they will just tell everyone that they exceed or meet those requirements but are not paying to get the rights to the name and symbol!!! If a big companies ever stood up and took a stand on htis then it would change the game. The problem is that for a company like ExxonMobile it is chump change to pay for the testing and rights to use the name and symbol on their bottles!So until a large company tells these OEM's to take a hike it will just keep going on and the cost will keep being added to the product.

I am already never going to buy a GM or Chrysler product ever again so this just adds more fuel to the fire!

Originally Posted By: buster
I believe GEOS is modeled after Mobil 1.

They probably developed it for them ..or produce it for them.

What's the difference
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
This is an inventive source of new revenue.

Well said Jim.

Since GM is now Gov Motors I'm not surprised they are looking for "an inventive source of new revenue."

I'm letting my GM points expire rather than buy a new GM vehicle.

I'm now a Ford guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back