92 geo tracker cranks but doesn't start

I am trying to figure out this old geo. It cranks but doesn't start. It has fuel and spark. Compression is 135. Engine light doesn't work to count the flashes to get a code. Plugs and wires are new. Distributor is in time and timing belt is good. What else could it be?

Last edited:
Does it start with starting fluid? Is it manual or automatic? If it's automatic, is it in park? If it's manual, is the clutch good? Can you push start it?

Maybe you need an ignition switch

Doesn't start on starting fluid. It's an automatic. Yes its in park it'll crank till the battery is drained so it's not a starting system issue.

135 seems low. If it doesn’t pop off with some sort of starter fluid (not all brake cleaners are flammable) then I wonder if timing is way off.

Doesn't start on starting fluid. It's an automatic. Yes its in park it'll crank till the battery is drained so it's not a starting system issue.
Not sounding good. I wonder if spark is weak, too weak to ignite during compression.

135 seems low. If it doesn’t pop off with some sort of starter fluid (not all brake cleaners are flammable) then I wonder if timing is way off.
135 is enough that it should fire up and run.
Timing checked out as well. Timing belt was just done a few months ago to

Yep. It has been running fine till just last week.
Ok, i’ve been watching too many revivals of cars that have been sitting for decades.

Odd. Sudden death is usually spark. Maybe toss a coil at it, weak spark under load? Bad gas can do bad things, but starting fluid rules that out.

Did it run when parked?new plugs and wires. Anything else been replaced? When replaced.was correct firing order observed? What does inside of cap and rotor look like? I'd pull all 4 plugs and check them for gas. In your attempts to start , you may have flooded and "gassed" the plugs. BTDT many a time Any chewed wiring? These are Just guesses I hope they shake something loose. Good luck, please post a follow up :cool:

Just because you see spark doesn't mean it's good spark. Does if have a distributer? If so, I'd use my portable ignition box to rule out a bunch of stuff.

Any chance the fuel got contaminated? Can you get a sample from the rail?

Back