Land Rover STJLR.03.5003 (Euro oil) vs. API SP (U.S.)?

Have a Range Rover (U.S.) with 2.0L turbo 4 cyl., 2016. The factory required oil from 7 years ago is Land Rover spec STJLR.03.5003. Rather than go to the hassle of ordering Euro oil here in the U.S., any reason I can't substitute a readily-available U.S. synthetic oil rated SP/ILSAC GF-6A/GM dexos1 Gen 3? I'm tentatively guessing the SP/GF-6A/dexos1 G3 will meet or exceed the old LR spec.

Not a greenie oil but is a 3-3.2 HTHS and 9.4-10cst so not a eurothick higherHTHS oil

Stuff is 900-950 and 1100-1150 of P and Z for reason with 1.1-1.2% SA and tbn ~10

Question one has to ask is what are they trying to protect with their z/p/s dosage?

Have a Range Rover (U.S.) with 2.0L turbo 4 cyl., 2016. The factory required oil from 7 years ago is Land Rover spec STJLR.03.5003. Rather than go to the hassle of ordering Euro oil here in the U.S., any reason I can't substitute a readily-available U.S. synthetic oil rated SP/ILSAC GF-6A/GM dexos1 Gen 3? I'm tentatively guessing the SP/GF-6A/dexos1 G3 will meet or exceed the old LR spec.
I would probably just use a readily available off-the-shelf modern Euro oil if you don't mind the increased viscosity. Something like M1 ESP 5W-30 or PP Euro L, Edge K, etc. or the M1 FS 0W-40.

As your vehicle is a 2016 there is a chance that’s an Ingenium Engine, I personally wouldn’t mess around with oil specs on the Ingenium engines, the petrols are pretty rare in the UK when compared to the diesels. But the diesels have camchain problems.

If it’s the pre Ingenium Ford engine then fill your boots and use whatever oil is used in US market vehicles with the same engine.

As your vehicle is a 2016 there is a chance that’s an Ingenium Engine, I personally wouldn’t mess around with oil specs on the Ingenium engines, the petrols are pretty rare in the UK when compared to the diesels. But the diesels have camchain problems.

If it’s the pre Ingenium Ford engine then fill your boots and use whatever oil is used in US market vehicles with the same engine

You could check OpieOils, a UK site, for recommendations but oils meeting the spec you list also seem to meet A5/B5 and Ford WSS M2C 913 D

there is a chance that’s an Ingenium Engine, I personally wouldn’t mess around with oil specs on the Ingenium engines,
Stuff is 900-950 and 1100-1150 of P and Z for reason with 1.1-1.2% SA and tbn ~10

I just looked this up: LR themselves messed around with the specs. Just two years later with same Ingenium gasoline engine they changed the spec to STJLR.51.5122 which dropped the viscosity from 5W-30 to 0W-20. That new spec had the effect of lowering the ZDDP too. This tells me the motor can tolerate a variation in oil formulations.

I think I just talked myself into thinking any U.S. quality synthetic meeting SP/GF-6A/dexos1 G3 will be acceptable, especially since these specs are designed to address LSPI and chain wear in high output turbo motors.

Motul 5w30 eco-energy carriers that spec and is available on amazon. I just bought two jugs for my LR4, going to give it a try over the 0w and 5w-20s recommended for that gen (4.4) of AJV8. I'd rather have the additives.

I just looked this up: LR themselves messed around with the specs. Just two years later with same Ingenium gasoline engine they changed the spec to STJLR.51.5122 which dropped the viscosity from 5W-30 to 0W-20. That new spec had the effect of lowering the ZDDP too. This tells me the motor can tolerate a variation in oil formulations.

I think I just talked myself into thinking any U.S. quality synthetic meeting SP/GF-6A/dexos1 G3 will be acceptable, especially since these specs are designed to address LSPI and chain wear in high output turbo motors.

I tells me that they might have made modifications to the engine with the later model years.

The Ingenium engines are brand new and hit the market in 2015/6

If they changed the oil specs on updated versions of the engine I wouldn’t be making the assumption that it’s back compatible to be fair.

With the potential for camchain problems I wouldn’t be going for anything other than 5w30

There are several Euro oils that are available at Walmart and also are API SP.

M1 0W-40 SP is super cheap, available, and probably better than the other options you are considering.

It’s safe to assume Tata inherited Ford staff when they took over JLR. I’d run M1 ESP or Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30/0W-30.

ESP/EUROL aren't all that high z/p levels. HTHS is higher which is a good start but I'd want the z/p.

This OE oil is not a higher HTHS 30 grade. Its a high z/p oil with low SP-like HTHS.

I'd use both HTHS and z/p here until someone knows the common wear/failure points in the engine. Castrol 0w30 and 5w30, in Euro A3/B4, are where I'd start. RP Synerlec HPS and Redline High Performance are worth researching too. Pennzoil has a 5w30 Euro A3/b4 oil too with more than SP z/p level.

0w40 might be an option but is on the thicker side. Some like the thin oil turbo response and 1/4 mpg improvement. Mobil1 0w40 is easy enough to source. Pennzoil has a Euro 0w40 too.

Amsoil has a pretty good catalog. See what they recommend. Its worth mentioning their recommendation when you look it all up for us.

If you choose to run a sump of ANY ol' SP/GF6/Dexos synthetic 5w30, my recommendation will be to spike it with a quart of a good racing oil like M1 for the z/p levels, or RoyalPurple XPR.

Diesel oils, if you like bucket 5 gallon purchases, can be a pretty stout.

ESP/EUROL aren't all that high z/p levels. HTHS is higher which is a good start but I'd want the z/p.

I'd use both HTHS and z/p here until someone knows the common wear/failure points in the engine. Castrol 0w30 and 5w30, in Euro A3/B4, are where I'd start.
The ESP and L oils aren't high ZDDP but they include ashless additives to give equivalent performance. The Euro mid SAPS are often still at least as high as most generic ILSAC oils. I was on the fence about this too for some engines but we see no known low-ZDDP-linked issues with high performance engines that have been under both specs at different times like the Porsche 9A1 and BMW S55.
0w40 might be an option but is on the thicker side
I would also note that the Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4 is close to the same viscosity as Mobil 1 0W-40. The Castrol is 73 cSt @ 40C and 12.2 at 100C. Mobil 1 is 78 @ 40C and 13.8 @ 100C. Castrol HTHS >= 3.5, M1 3.6. So, if the M1 is too thick, so is the Castrol. I agree it is a good choice but think the M1 is even better. The Castrol is around 2x the price since it doesn't come in 5 Qt/L containers and it only has API SL license due to P levels and there is no VOA of the new formula to determine if it has an SP-like add pack. Since this is a 2.0L turbo engine it seems like the M1 0W-40 SP is a better choice unless someone just loves Castrol or single quart containers.

It’s safe to assume Tata inherited Ford staff when they took over JLR. I’d run M1 ESP or Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30/0W-30.
Yeah, no.

JLR didn’t have Ford staff giving them advise or engineering input

The only reason JLR used Ford oil specs is because they continued to buy their engines from Ford until the Ingenium engines made it to market

JLR still buy the 3.0 diesel from Ford and also the 5.0V8

The only thing Ford did was run JLR into the ground through lack of investment and overuse of bean counters

I've done quite a lot of searching, but I'm having trouble finding the answer to this question,

What was the STJLR.03.5003 spec supposed to address that other oil specs missed?

The only thing Ford did was run JLR into the ground through lack of investment and overuse of bean counters
😂😂😂😂 land rover was the biggest turnaround in PAG.

all new IBF platform and the global compact platform they still use, all new powertrains, all new everything top to bottom in less than 6 years.

Reactions: Yuk
😂😂😂😂 land rover was the biggest turnaround in PAG.

all new IBF platform and the global compact platform they still use, all new powertrains, all new everything top to bottom in less than 6 years.
100%.
The aluminum manufacturing and assembly process that is currently used in the F-150 was developed and perfected on the 2004-2009, Jaguar X-350. A huge innovation, that has been tremendously successful.

I had the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil, in 0W-20 weight that met the JLR specification STJLR.03.5006 analyzed by Blackstone labs. I realize it is not the same as the STJLR.03.5003 formula that the OP asked about.

The analysis showed much higher PPM's than average for Platinum, and much lower PPM's than average for Moly. I did not request an HTHS test. My JLR dealer used the VW/Porsche spec. VW.508 CO/509 oil last time they did an oil change as the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil is no longer available. I sent a sample of that oil to Blackstone and it came back close enough to the readings from my previous sample as to be statistically insignificant.

The bottom line is that JLR's engineers feel that the correct grade oil for their engines should have very high Platinum content and Moly isn't important. Choose your brand based upon that.

Back