CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Api has yet to develop a test for GIII and pao blend.

Well, actually, API develops tests for fully formulated products, not for base oil combinations. They could care less about the base oil mix as long as the formulated product passes the minimal testing requirements.

I believe the ASTM has tests for various base oils, but not the API.

You can't go wrong using Schaeffer's Oil lubricants and the experience base they put into their products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Thanks Tim.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention ...

... tim

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

You can't go wrong using Schaeffer's Oil lubricants and the experience base they put into their products.

Plus you will save a L-O-T of money staying with Schaeffer. No dog in the hunt about whether Mobil is a good product, it is. Just that they have criminal prices. Even when I checked with a distributor about a barrel of Delvac 1, I about fell over. Even the prices at Wally World are insane. No brainer. Schaeffers is a darn good oil at a reasonable price. I am not going to fork over a stack of cash just so Mobil can run T.V. ads and sponsor cars all over the place.

Originally Posted By: timenright
The engine is the 2010 DD15 by Detroit. The vehicle is a class 8 truck (FL Cascadia) with a sleeper stretched to 150”. The application is long haul 48 states. We average 2800 miles per week but can easily do 5000 per week from time-to-time. The vehicle is on the assembly line at this moment.

Sweet .... are you running linehaul .... or expedite perhaps ?

Quote:
We will add an oil bypass filtration system to the engine. We are looking at the OPS1 system.

You may well be able to buy alot more filtration for much less money using off-the-shelf components - with less ongoing costs as a result of less expensive filter elements .... if you are comfortable with figuring out the plumbing and doing the install yourself. Talk to Gary Allen on here as to how.

Dunno what OPS is charging for that system these days .... but it was pretty pricey the last time I checked - I can't imagine that they are giving the elements away either .....

One thing about their "oil refiner" claims - the secondary "evaporator" unit - used to be that they published the temperature that this unit heated the oil to .... as I recall the temperature was 195 to 210 degrees F. It appears that this data has been removed from their website and all literature (wonder why they are now choosing to de-emphasize that aspect ?
54.gif
)

Dunno about your DD15 but I know that the oil in the MBE 600 (2.7L inline 5 cyl) in my little Sprinter regularly reaches 190F if it is at all warm out (50F or more ambient) ... and it will reach 160F easily even if it's cold. And my UOA's have never shown any water or A/F whatsoever. Moisture in a crankcase does not need to be heated to 212F in order to evaporate
grin2.gif
..... especially if the vehicle is running long and not doing short hops where the engine doesn't fully heat up .....

Having said that, I know some folks running an OPS1 on their CAT C15 that went 100K miles on their first OC after installing the OPS1 ..... on dino oil ..... significant amounts of make up oil likely contribute to that.

You might also talk to Doug Hillary on here about his experience with centrifuge filtration - he's had alot of experience with them on Class 8 rigs down under.

Quote:
We will take an oil sample and change the bypass filter every 15k miles. We will stay with the factory OCI until we feel it can be extended (based on UOA).

Given filter elements of the same size, the finer the degree of filtration, the more often the elements will have to be changed (no free lunch) But the use of a large element (or even multiple large elements run in parallel) can allow filtration to an extremely fine degree - and still provide a reasonable maintenance interval.

Last edited:
We are running line haul …

All good ideas and in my earlier years I might have spent more time with my own solution. These days I just want a known solution that I can install and use .

I am not sure how effective the evaporator will be but both systems (OPS and PuraDyne) that I was considering had them. I think the purpose has more to do with a method of escape rather than temperature. Although raising the temperature at the appropriate time could certainly help.

The other thing is … I already bought the OPS system. Thanks for the information rlent …

… tim

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
50K OCI? Wow, that's pretty good.

Our new Prevost X3-45's we just got have a spec'd 10K OCI IIRC...

The small print states that oil samples must be taken at regular intervals. But 50k OCI from the mfg is very good ...

... tim

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Plus you will save a L-O-T of money staying with Schaeffer. No dog in the hunt about whether Mobil is a good product, it is. Just that they have criminal prices. Even when I checked with a distributor about a barrel of Delvac 1, I about fell over. Even the prices at Wally World are insane. No brainer. Schaeffers is a darn good oil at a reasonable price. I am not going to fork over a stack of cash just so Mobil can run T.V. ads and sponsor cars all over the place.

Just waiting for SalesRep to address my warranty issues ...

... tim

742 meets the sae 50 for extended warranty. 740 and 741 meet the gear oil ex. warranty concerns.
Not sure what else you are looking for?

Thank you, I am a little confused with these products #740-742. Are these oils made from 100% Schaeffer products? And who does the blending? I also noticed that it doesn’t have the other additives that Schaeffer normally adds like those found in #293. If I used the #741 & 742 would I really be Schaefferized? And should I still expect the 3-7% increase in fuel economy?

I have used Supreme 7000 15w40 and have been pleased with it but would like to run a lower viscosity. The 9000 can get me there but is not API certified like the 7000 was. However, the only real requirement is that it appears on the approved oil list for the POWER GUARD 93K218 Oil Specification. I have tried to verify this through Detroit Diesel but their web site is having difficulties. Can you confirm that the Supreme 9000 5w40 is approved for the POWER GUARD 93K218 Oil Specification?

Thank you for taking the time to clear this up for me …

… tim

740,741,742 are manufactured to meet the min. specs for approvals. They do not have our micron moly add pack like the 293,214s,167 and the new 751m. While 9000 "exceeds" as of Sept 08 we had not paid DD for the 9000 approval, that may have changed, I'll check.
If warranty is your concern...the oem's make it a bit difficult...of course Schaeffers has their own.

Mpg gains come from a combination of our fluids, schaeffer seal and our fuel treatments.

Are you saying that products #740-742 are 100% pure Schaeffer products and are blended by Schaeffer but stop short by just meeting the manufacturer’s minimum requirements? And that if I want the additive package that will give me the “Schaefferizing” characteristics I seek that I have to switch to a fluid that is not approved for extended use?

Warranty is very much a concern with $100k worth of drive train. I am willing to press things a bit but I am not willing to let the manufacturer off the hook. You must feel like I am picking on you but I am not. I want to use Schaeffer products but if I want to enjoy the benefits of extended OCIs, it appears that Schaeffer needs to get their products recognized.

What do I not understand here? And what do you mean Schaeffer has their own?

… tim

Originally Posted By: timenright
Are you saying that products #740-742 are 100% pure Schaeffer products and are blended by Schaeffer but stop short by just meeting the manufacturer’s minimum requirements? And that if I want the additive package that will give me the “Schaefferizing” characteristics I seek that I have to switch to a fluid that is not approved for extended use?

Warranty is very much a concern with $100k worth of drive train. I am willing to press things a bit but I am not willing to let the manufacturer off the hook. You must feel like I am picking on you but I am not. I want to use Schaeffer products but if I want to enjoy the benefits of extended OCIs, it appears that Schaeffer needs to get their products recognized.

What do I not understand here? And what do you mean Schaeffer has their own?

… tim

Yes, 740-742 are pao products produced to meet specs.
Yes.

We have our own manufacturers warranty on our lubricants.

In part
"Finally, in regards to product warranty Schaeffer Manufacturing Company will stand behind all the oils, greases and diesel fuel additives we blend and compound. Schaeffer Manufacturing is the oldest lubricant manufacturer in North America and has been in
business since 1839. Like any reputable company, Schaeffer Manufacturing carries product liability insurance and will stand behind our products 100% in order to maintainour good reputation in the marketplace."

Interesting …

Let’s run a scenario so that I understand how this works. The normal OCI for an Eaton Fuller transmission is 100k and 500k for their extended use fluids. I choose to run with the Schaeffer fluid that is recognized by Eaton for 100k but that Schaeffer states will meet the 500k specification.

I have 300k on the truck when the transmission fails. Eaton requests my service records and discovers that I am 200k over my first OCI interval for the type of oil present and denies warranty. I contact Schaeffer and they pay the repair bill, no questions asked?

Does Schaeffer warranty the Eaton Fuller transmission or does it warranty the oil was equal to the specifications needed for the 500k OCI. One way will get my transmission fixed the other way may not.

Just simple risk assessment. The benefit must equal the risk or the risk isn’t worth the taking. That’s how my luck works anyway …

… tim

You are missing it a bit … we know the #740-742 meet the specifications but they lack the special additives that make Schaeffer special …

… tim

"have 300k on the truck when the transmission fails. Eaton requests my service records and discovers that I am 200k over my first OCI interval for the type of oil present and denies warranty. I contact Schaeffer and they pay the repair bill, no questions asked?"
Of course not. The lubricant would have to be proven to have failed for us to warranty up.

As I suspected, and to be honest, the fair outcome...

I don't know what has transpired to position Schaeffer so poorly in all of this. Are they just cutting costs or is there something else going on. There are plenty of small companies that have made the grade.

I do know that it has left me in an awkward position as a Schaeffer customer and as a sales person I am sure it makes things harder for you. A guy shouldn’t have to go out on a limb to get the performance he seeks.

Anyway, thanks to all who participated … and Johnny, sorry I cut you off.

21.gif

I guess I don't get your angle. We produce 740-742 to meet oem specs due to the customer base we serve (they want to meet warranty). We produce other fluids that exceed those specs for non warranty situations and other applications where they may be suited.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
740,741,742 are manufactured to meet the min. specs for approvals. They do not have our micron moly add pack like the 293,214s,167 and the new 751m.

I guess i want to meet the warranty obligations AND have the additive packages that will "Scaefferize" my vehicel so that I get that 3-7% improvment in performance. I am just going by the information you provided me ...

... tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back