What WIX Oil filter for GM 5.0 V8's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lars11
Which ones can I use? Is there an oversize filter?

A little more information would make it easier.

lars11, it's best to start with your manufacturer's part number, then plug it into the cross reference on Wix's site to get their correct number. Then work from that filter to find one that's larger ... but with the same threading, gasket size and bypass valve setting.

I'm not sure all versions of the small block Chevy from all the different manufacturers over half a century have the same filter mount.

Does VolvoPenta use the remote filter location like Merc? If not and it screws up to the bottom of your block, I beleive its a WIX 50160 (AC PF1218) that's a pretty big filter.

"I'm not sure all versions of the small block Chevy from all the different manufacturers over half a century have the same filter mount."
Not sure what year, but some where along the line, GM changed the threads on many/most of their industrial engines.
Automotive blocks too!

"Not sure what year, but some where along the line, GM changed the threads on many/most of their industrial engines. Automotive blocks too!"

That's what I figured. In thew 80s, my brother had a '70 Nova with a 327 Chevy motor - dual carbs on tunnel rams. For an oil filter, he found a truck filter (Fram) that had the threads and diameter of a PH30 (I think that was old small block Chevy Fram part number) but was about a foot long.

Wix ... or Baldwin/Hastings ... must make a similar filter for whatever mates up to your block (provided you have room for something that long).

Well VP has several pn for this engine and when I bought it, there was a small Mercruiser filter on. It is a block mounted filter.
The VP mech only had Fram filters on shelf... Not all are as concerned as bitogers...

In my discount store there are lots of wix filters and I think they are as good as any for 40-50hrs in the volvo/GM. Just would like to know which one has the right spec and max size... Maybe I should just e-mail WIX.

Lars11,

I found this document:http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/jpg/GM%20oil%20filters.jpg

These numbers cross to two different wix filters 51061 and a 51069.These filters have the same specs as the 51060 and the 51086(short).

My Merc lists many numbers as well they cross to the 51086.

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
Does VolvoPenta use the remote filter location like Merc? If not and it screws up to the bottom of your block, I beleive its a WIX 50160 (AC PF1218) that's a pretty big filter.

I have a VP 5.7l 300HP engine in my 2006 open bow boat. Go down to the local auto parts store and tell them you need a filter for a 1976 chevy 350 pickup. That will be the correct filter. It is on my boat.

Both Volvo Penta and Mercruiser use a remote oil filter setup on their sterndrives.

The 4.3l Mercruiser I had mounted the filter base down, which was real fun to change the filter. Messy! My Volvo Penta Powered boat mounts the oil filter base up. I can fill the new filter with oil when changing oil. Much Cleaner!

Quote:
The 4.3l Mercruiser I had mounted the filter base down, which was real fun to change the filter. Messy! My Volvo Penta Powered boat mounts the oil filter base up. I can fill the new filter with oil when changing oil. Much Cleaner

My 07 5.oL Merc mounts the filter facing down as well. Easy to get to but real messy! Somebody mentioned using a 1 gal. ziplock under the mount while removing the filter. I'll try that this time. I picked up a M1-111for this change.

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
Quote:
The 4.3l Mercruiser I had mounted the filter base down, which was real fun to change the filter. Messy! My Volvo Penta Powered boat mounts the oil filter base up. I can fill the new filter with oil when changing oil. Much Cleaner

My 07 5.oL Merc mounts the filter facing down as well. Easy to get to but real messy! Somebody mentioned using a 1 gal. ziplock under the mount while removing the filter. I'll try that this time. I picked up a M1-111for this change.

That bag trick works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back