Nissan type J alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my information that I know, there is NO substitute or Additive to convert Dexron III into ANY Nissan made transmission fluid regarding Types, N, J, or NS.

Would love to learn more about this possibility as it would bring more customers to our facility for transmission flushes.

I have yet to see these fluids even come in looking burnt to recommend a flush

Most of these have either sealed transmissions, or locking dipstick tubes that can't be opened to check the level except from the dealer.

Trying to learn more.

Please reply here.

The current multi-vehicle fluids can cover Matic J applications. Lubrizol has a multi-vehicle additive package on the market that will cover most applications for stepped gear automatics. Fluids such as Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle covers Matic J. However, these fluids are not OE approved so they should be used with caution on vehicles that are covered by an extended or factory warranty.

I would NOT use any "Lubegard" or similar additive to convert Dexron fluids. You are better off using a proper multi-vehicle fluid that has been tested in its recommended applications. The cost of using a multi-vehicle fluid should be the same as using Dexron and the additive.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The current multi-vehicle fluids can cover Matic J applications. Lubrizol has a multi-vehicle additive package on the market that will cover most applications for stepped gear automatics. Fluids such as Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle covers Matic J. However, these fluids are not OE approved so they should be used with caution on vehicles that are covered by an extended or factory warranty.

I would NOT use any "Lubegard" or similar additive to convert Dexron fluids. You are better off using a proper multi-vehicle fluid that has been tested in its recommended applications. The cost of using a multi-vehicle fluid should be the same as using Dexron and the additive.

That may be true, but the process of buying Dexron III in bulk vs. a multi vehicle formula is different. Dexron III is cheaper and is more readily available in bulk. Multi vehicle formula can only be found in kegs at best through our distributor.

This is why we can't service Nissan cars unless they have Dexron already.

Originally Posted By: LubeTechBob
That may be true, but the process of buying Dexron III in bulk vs. a multi vehicle formula is different. Dexron III is cheaper and is more readily available in bulk. Multi vehicle formula can only be found in kegs at best through our distributor.

This is why we can't service Nissan cars unless they have Dexron already.

Our local shops here have never difficulty in purchasing bulk Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF.

You are doing your customers a disservice by using the Dexron and an additive combination. If you research the different OEM requirements for the various transmission fluid specifications, there are different oxidation requirements, frictional requirements and cold pumpability requirements. The Dexron fluid that is now available will not satisfy the requirements for a number of fluid specifications such as ATF+4, Mercon V, T-IV, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back