Redline C+ ATF in Manual Tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbor

Site Donor 2024
Anyone have any experience with the subject fluid in a 5 or 6 speed manual tranny?

I've got an '09 Jeep Patriot 5 sp that has a notchy shift, particularly when cold. OEM spec fluid is Mopar ATF+4 which, apparently is also a synthetic.

Appreciate your input.

I used it in my Dodge Cummins w/G56. It was close to Amsoil ATF in performance, but I think Amsoil ATF was just a little bit better....for me anyways. Plus, I trust their lubricants more than Redline. JMO.

D-Roc - I'm with you on the Amsoil vs Redline preference, but I'm concerned that Amsoil's universal ATF is not specific to Chysler's +4 spec.

Redline C+ or RoyalPurple Synchromax are worth trying. But, there is no fluid fix for a poorly engineered transmission. We could only hope that the fluid helps a little.

Another thing to look at is at the shifter. Could be a bad bushing or simply needing a little lube somewhere in the linkage.

I am using the C+ATF right now in my Chrysler manual 5 speed. It is still notchy when cold, but shifts smoother than when I had the Mopar fluid in there. This is the first time I have used the C+ATF, and so far I am happy with it.

Previously, I had been using Amsoils ATF for the last 40k miles. It gives a smoother shift than the redline when the fluid is cold, but doesnt really seem to get better as the fluid warms up.

for my tranny....
Amsoil = better shifting compared to redline when the fluid is cold.
Redline = better shifting compared to Amsoil when the fluid is warm.

Next time I change the fluid, I am going to mix 50/50 Redline MTL and Redline C+ATF. Recommended by a well respected bitoger

"I'd go with a dedicated manual trans lube. It does not have to be heavy. ATF in a manual trans is a strong compromise."

If it specs ATF for the trans, going with anything thicker is a mistake for the northern half of North America. I'd use something the same viscosity.

The only synchro fluid that is ATF-thin is Royal Purple Synchromax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back