Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

reformulating the cheapest possible base concoction they can get away with semantically...

The same can now be said of Exxonmobil and Mobil 1. They're way down in the weeds now with their wording. They used to state exclusively that Mobil 1 was PAO. Not anymore!

Well, someone stated that they did say M1 is primarily PAO on the phone. And more than a few here "in the know" believe that M1 is still PAO, for better or worse.

And it's pretty clear that they want us to pay $8 a quart for something that is clearly very different from its Euro counterpart...

I'll believe Tom and Bruce any day over "people in the know" here (gee, I wonder who that could be
smirk2.gif
), and especially over some goon who awnsers the phone for Exxon.

Know what? Firstly, what's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Whether Mobil1 is Group III or IV, that would have nothing to do with the Sequence IV. In fact, isn't the very issue of Mobil supply disruptions of their PAO refinery the central problem here?

And if the "prostitution of pour points" is the the issue here, Mobil1 still had a reliability, solid low temperature pour point across the board. That includes in their heavier weights and they're very much in line with Amsoils in roughly equivalent grades with the edge going mostly, but not exclusively to Amsoil.

It's nice of Castrol to provide us some basics of how they arrived at their claims of "8X better," but then, they never seem to provide much on the specs sheet of their $8 bottle of mostly Group III oil, especially pour points. I don't doubt the overall validity of the claims to the extent that I believe Mobil has problems, and I don't think it is any coincidence that these claims are coming out around the same time. But the people you are referencing haven't been around for a bit to my knowledge and much of this was based on analysis of a single weight of oil.

Last edited:
I just saw the tv commercial myself as well. I gotta admit, it was pretty funny. They're really pushing the 8x better wear than Mobil 1 thing though.

The Castrol MSDS states that it contains Zinc, Cadmium, Arsenic, and Lead in it's formula, which it had to disclose under State of California rules related to cancer producing ingredients.

My opinion only is that with those ingredients already in the product, I don't think that I could use any Castrol product and poison the "catalytic converter." Doesn't lead destroy the ingredients in the catalytic converter? That would mean that it, the cat, would have to be replaced, an expensive item in today's cars. I am not sure about the effects of Zinc, Cadmium, or Arsenic on the cat either. I am not a chemist.

Know what? Firstly, what's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Whether Mobil1 is Group III or IV

When it was discovered Mobil 1 EP in several grades was mostly of mineral oil content, Mobil was still advertising it as all PAO. THAT'S the problem I and many others had. And when you call them, they still claim it's all PAO.

I praise both Pennzoil and Valvoline for being honest about the base oil composition of their oils. Pennzoil will tell you flat out that Platinum is group III+. They don't play the smoke and mirrors game that both Mobil and Castrol play.

Whether Mobil1 is Group III or IV, that would have nothing to do with the Sequence IV. In fact, isn't the very issue of Mobil supply disruptions of their PAO refinery the central problem here?

Well now maybe it is a problem! 2 oil companies have now come forth with allegations that Mobil 1 is sub standard. Perhaps Exxon didn't get the additive package right when they made the switch from mostly PAO, since for decades Mobil 1 has been PAO.

I didn't see the commercial but I did go look for it and nothing in Chinamart, Auto Zone or Advanced. I did find some QS Torque Power for $4 a quart and Havoline for $2.99.

Perhaps Exxon didn't get the additive package right when they made the switch from mostly PAO, since for decades Mobil 1 has been PAO.

Interesting proposition.

Insofar as the suspicious formulas what year was Mobil 1 last known to be PAO based?

Why was there a M1 shortage after IKE? There PAO plant in Beaumont was flooded and M1 became hard to find. If M1 is not PAO based then why the shortage? Now that their PAO supplies are back on line, we have an abundance of M1.

Anyone see the 8X better commercial during the bowl game? I only cought about 3 seconds of it when the large "8X better wear protection than Mobil 1" appeared on the big screen

Originally Posted By: JAG
Beerlube, I did discuss that earlier. Additionally, the TBN of the U.S. Edge oils is not on the PDS.

Don't give me sheit. I'm liable to throw it right back at ya but I'll let it slide this time. You may be a good guy who woke up on the wrong side of the bed...it happens.

Yeah, usually I'm a pretty good guy, thanks for the reprieve. Still don't see any comments re: TBN preceding mine, however. I did not realize the posted spec was non-US variants though, my bad. It's not the MDS', rather spec sheets I was referring to. Address below the spec on linked page is from Ireland, and the 0W-40 shows 6.6 TBN (post #1358244).

I tell ya, a lot of people were skeptical when M1 went from Tri-Synthetic to SuperSyn. I think Mobil's problems started after Katrina. I even feel their flagship oil, 0w-40 is bested by GC. Same HT/HS with a thinner formula means a better (base) oil, imo.

I saw the superbowl commercial and sure enough saw the "Castrol Edge 8x better than Mobil 1" I'm sure the 100 million people watching were impressed. Exxonmobil just took an uppercut to the face!

Last edited:
I wonder what is going on at Exxonmobil headquarters right now. Everyone has seen the Castrol commercial. So I wonder if they are have an urgent marketing meeting as we speak to discuss on how to limit the P.R damage..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back