Anti--virus and spyware advice, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
dkryan:

Click Start -> Run -> CMD

In the command prompt that opens, what does it show for your IP address? Is it a 192.168.x.x address? A 10.0.0.x address or is it a public IP? If it's a public IP, then your cable modem is just that, JUST a modem. If, on the other hand, you have a private IP (the above two examples are the most common; there are more) then your modem ALSO has a router/gateway as part of the device and you don't need anything else.

If you have a public IP, I suggest something like the ASUS WL-520GU router. Great little device. Just disable the wireless if you aren't going to use it.

SpywareBlaster is a must (free). I had SAS but started to have db update problems while trusty German sw a-squared 3.5 which was finding real things SAS wasn't kept going. Now a-squared is v4.0 and much improved. a-squared Anti Malware is a step up from Free and top rated by anybody who matters.

Norton is a system hog. I made the mistake of putting their Internet Security suite on my old desktop. It slowed the computer down big time, and some stuff still got through. $40 wasted.

I tried McAfee when I got my laptop, only because it wasn't Norton. It worked okay, until I started using wireless internet regularly. It would not allow me to connect to some networks, and for no apparent reason. Nothing I could do would make it work. I dumped it. $40 wasted.

After getting fed up with McAfee, I decided on Avast!. It works great. It doesn't hog all the resources. It doesn't mess up my wireless connection. It works great, and it is free. You can't really do much better than that IMO. I have been using it for over six months now with no problems at all.

In addition to Avast!, I use SpyBot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, and Ad-Aware. There can be issues with multiple anti-spyware programs interfering with each other (so I've heard), but I have never had a problem. My laptop is 2.5 years old and runs like new. I'm happy. Free stuff is the way to go.

download.com will have everything you need.

My laptop is 2.5 years old, running XP Pro, some kind of Centrino dual core processor, plus 2 GB RAM. Neither Kaspersky nor Norton IS phased it in terms of speed.

Microsoft Live OneCare ran seemlessly on the six year old HP desktop with XP Home, who knows what AMD processor, and a maxed out 1 GB of RAM.

I ditched OneCare because someone on this site claimed it was gone after June 2009.

I'll unintall NIS off of the desktop this weekend and re-visit the advice from above for my desktop "protection."

I should get real stupid and run out after Christmas and purchase a second laptop, i.e., replace the desktop. You can't beat the prices right now. But, I'm being a good boy and resisting................. :)

Originally Posted By: sprintman
. . . I had SAS but started to have db update problems while trusty German sw a-squared 3.5 which was finding real things SAS wasn't kept going.

I've noticed there is a significant difference between the free and paid (Pro) versions of SAS. I don't know what it is, but the free version seems a bit less effective. Pro SAS gives real-time protection and is on top of DB at all times. I use both versions, but now only recommend the Pro version to others. Pro SAS does leave a system footprint, but not too big. No, it's not freeware, but the best code rarely is. Otherwise, it's better to layer a couple free ASW programs.

NOD32 remains the bee's knees with us.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
I recently installed Norton Internet Security on my laptop and desktop. It runs fine on the laptop. The desktop, however, is running noticeably slower. I'm guessing that between the NIS, being six years old, and limited to 1G RAM, I can't push it any faster unless I uninstall the NIS.

I can simply use XP's firewall, correct?

So, do I need spyware?

And for anti-virus protection, based on another recent thread, it appears Anvira's product is the way to go. (?) Unless someone can convince me that McAfee or similar A-V software is just as good.

Thanks!

I've used the following on trial:

• Norton Anti-Virus
  • McAfee Anti-Virus
  • CA Anti-Virus

...and found all of them quite bad in one way or another. Best of the lot, however was CA A-V.

That said, I finally decided on a fee-based anti-virus/anti-spyware suite, with Windows Defender as secondary spyware application. Suite is marketed by a company whose primary focus is Anti-Virus protection.

I also use an effective hardware firewall/router and do not recommend use of software firewalls.

Originally Posted By: Iain
Originally Posted By: dkryan
I recently installed Norton Internet Security on my laptop and desktop. It runs fine on the laptop. The desktop, however, is running noticeably slower. I'm guessing that between the NIS, being six years old, and limited to 1G RAM, I can't push it any faster unless I uninstall the NIS.

I can simply use XP's firewall, correct?

So, do I need spyware?

And for anti-virus protection, based on another recent thread, it appears Anvira's product is the way to go. (?) Unless someone can convince me that McAfee or similar A-V software is just as good.

Thanks!

I've used the following on trial:

• Norton Anti-Virus
  • McAfee Anti-Virus
  • CA Anti-Virus

...and found all of them quite bad in one way or another. Best of the lot, however was CA A-V.

That said, I finally decided on a fee-based anti-virus/anti-spyware suite, with Windows Defender as secondary spyware application. Suite is marketed by a company whose primary focus is Anti-Virus protection.

I also use an effective hardware firewall/router and do not recommend use of software firewalls.

I have a vehement hatred for CA products; particularly their security suite. End User on one of my VPN's had it installed and caused all kinds of fun connectivity issues.

He's running Avast now.

I find NOD32 is about the most light-weight commercial (paid for) AV you can buy. Great product.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I find NOD32 is about the most light-weight commercial (paid for) AV you can buy. Great product.

Never considered that one. Might look into it when current licence expires.

Thanks, m8.

Originally Posted By: Iain
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Never considered that one. Might look into it when current licence expires.

Thanks, m8.

No prob!

Pardon my ignorance and thanks for your patience and your answers.

What is NOD32?

In terms of a router, I have a Motorola 5xxx cable modem and a Linksys wireless router. If I'm to have my firewall through my router (hardware), then which wireless router should I acquire that will provide solid wireless performance matched with a solid firewall?

Merry Christmas to all BITOGers!

Thanks, OVERK1LL.

I'll concentrate on A/V and A/S software per the answers above.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Nod32 is an A/V program. Procure at eset.com

And a fantastic one at that.

Thanks, ZZman.

I'll check it out when I get back home from visiting relatives in central Illinois.

I can't wait to remove the NIS suite and use either NOD32 or Avira for my anti-virus program, plus a-squared or something similar for my anti-spyware.

Boy, the useful knowledge one acquires on an oil related website! :)

Glad we could all help out.

A good site you might want to keep in mind is download.com.

It has lots of software reviews and many of the the programs you can try out for free or they are free.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
The Linksys router has a firewall if it is enabled.

No, the linksys router IS a firewall. A Gateway IS a Firewall. They are one and the same device. This was covered in CCNA.

The setting you are thinking of is just basically stealthing.

They call it "firewall" because it's easier for the end user to understand.

I covered this concept in great detail on Page 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back