Good Free Anti-Virus Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'm about ready to try something different than the Bitdefender Free I'm currently using. It's caused some issues and I've had to solve those issues by adding "Exceptions". It would cause a Blue Screen of Death when I tried to log-in to my bank's secure website, and it started not allowing Excel, Word and PowerPoint from opening in Office 2013.

Don't know if I want to keep it, or try some other real time free anti-virus program. I see Win7 has Microsoft "Windows Defender" built-in, but I've never tried it out - it's currently disabled by having Bitdefender Free running. In the Win7 "Action Center", it describes Windows Defender as an "anti-spyware" program, not an "anti-virus/virus protection" program.

I'm also running real time Malwarebytes Premium which is the full blown paid version and it seems to be super stable and doesn't cause any issues on my Win7 computer.

Zee06
You would be better off using Windows Defender alone. I've tried many of the free add ons and they didn't do anything except slow the PC down.

Just run Windows Defender and then run a free scan using MalwareBytes every month or so to keep the malware/adware in check and it also virus scans too just incase Microsoft missed something.

I have made myself content with free Avast. Though I don't much care for the user interface or the ads, it hasn't caused me any problems and the protection seems to be adequate. They also have a *very* active forum so help is available if needed.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Just run Windows Defender and then run a free scan using MalwareBytes every month or so to keep the malware/adware in check and it also virus scans too just incase Microsoft missed something.

I've got the full blown Malwarebytes Premium, which runs real time and works well and I want to keep that running real time.

I'm looking for an anti-virus program not another anti-malware program. Windows Defender is defined as an "anti-spyware" program ... whatever that means exactly.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Danno
I use the Panda Dome free version. Works well, have used it for quite a few years now.

My most recent change to Panda Dome 18.06 won't slow-down your computer and I've installed - then uninstalled all the free versions in the past year. But uncheck their add-ons they try to push on you at the beginning of the installation and don't install their Games Mode, if not needed.

I've been happy with Avast! free version for many years, but there are numerous options from other developers and software vendors. I used AVG for many years (probably close to 20) and it also worked just fine. On my Server, OSX Server comes with ClamAV, an older open-source AV solution that is very unintrusive and is used by a number of servers that actually "run" the web or business systems.

They all work about as well as the alternatives if finding malware is your goal, as they all publish and share the same threat databases. One or the other might discover a threat themselves and update their software first, but it's only a matter of time (days, at most) before they all are checking for the threat, so there is no real difference between them in that regard.

Where they differ is in the user interface and how intrusive they are trying to get you to update to a paid version. I suppose some are more resource-intensive than others but on OSX I don't notice any slowdown with or without an AV program installed. By carefully choosing your WindowsOS AV program you can minimize or eliminate any lags as well, although there are some that eat your cycles too much (especially anything from Symantec or McAffee).

But the paid versions don't offer any increase in virus / trojan / malware protection.

If you worry about backdoors that are rumoured to exist via the US NSA, choose one like Kaspersky AV

Last edited:
I see Kaspersky has a free AV version ... might give that a try. Here's a review:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/kaspersky-free-antivirus,review-5711.html

I've used every one mentioned here. Avast is the best, Komodo good also. I had viruses with AVG and it didn't find them when run, Avast did, never since using Avast.

Virus protection to me is a waste of money, time and resources, literally. I bet anti virus programs scr+w up more computers then the viruses do.

Use free Windows Defender, completely automatic and dont download files that you shouldnt. Like someone above "common sense"

I dont know what people look for more then Windows Defender, supplied free of charge from the largest software company in the world.
Go figure ... everything else to me is just 'snake oil" marketing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I see Kaspersky has a free AV version ... might give that a try. Here's a review:

There are two versions. Kaspersky antivirus(KAV) free and Kaspersky free cloud. Cloud has more options.

https://www.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus

Avast owns AVG now.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

There are two versions. Kaspersky antivirus(KAV) free and Kaspersky free cloud. Cloud has more options.

https://www.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus

Avast owns AVG now.

Don't forget the "Turn your PC into tool for Mother Russia" version.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Common sense and Windows Defender are working fine here.

Windows Defender free. Common sense priceless!
smile.gif

I use ESET antivirus (not internet security)
costs about 20$ for 3 years online.

Kraperski has links to russian govt. Some sort of scandal where it was sending home lists of the files on your computer.

bitdefender gave me odd but really serious issues occasionally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back