Good Free Anti-Virus Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rand
I use ESET antivirus (not internet security)
costs about 20$ for 3 years online.

This. You can find it on Amazon. I've had excellent luck with ESET.

Originally Posted by ndfergy
Windows 10 built in plus a periodic on-demand scanner (ADW Cleaner, Trend Micro).

With windows defender I'm not too comfortable with it...
I've reinstalled windows on way too many pc's that had defender sailing along happy as a clam.. and totally infested with bad stuff.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by StevieC
Just run Windows Defender and then run a free scan using MalwareBytes every month or so to keep the malware/adware in check and it also virus scans too just incase Microsoft missed something.

I've got the full blown Malwarebytes Premium, which runs real time and works well and I want to keep that running real time.

I'm looking for an anti-virus program not another anti-malware program. Windows Defender is defined as an "anti-spyware" program ... whatever that means exactly.
21.gif

Malwarebytes is an Anti-Virus they even advertise that fact. I have the full-blown version running on my PC as well. I have one of the lifetime licenses you can't get any longer.

I accept the fact that Defender may not be the best at detection for that small percentage of malware that others may block; I'm more concerned with compatibility issues. My computer habits are relatively safe so I'm not too worried. Having said that, I certainly would use something more secure in a business environment.

I just use Windows Defender. As others said, that and common sense have kept our computers safe for many years. In the past I would use various programs but they usually slowed the computer down and sometimes caused other problems. My wife clicked on something that made her nervous once so I ran Norton over the web scan tool and it did clean something out.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Virus protection to me is a waste of money, time and resources, literally. I bet anti virus programs scr+w up more computers then the viruses do.

Use free Windows Defender, completely automatic and dont download files that you shouldnt. Like someone above "common sense"

I dont know what people look for more then Windows Defender, supplied free of charge from the largest software company in the world.
Go figure ... everything else to me is just 'snake oil" marketing.

Agree 100%.

Malwarebytes is an Anti-Virus they even advertise that fact. I have the full-blown version running on my PC as well. I have one of the lifetime licenses you can't get any longer.

I see that now on their website. I was under the impression that Malwarebytes wasn't a full blown "anti-virus" program and I needed more protection. I also have the life time license for Malwarebytes Premium, so maybe I'll uninstall Bitdefender and just run Malwarebytes. Or uninstall Bitdefender and try Windows Defender with Malwarebytes.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I see that now on their website. I was under the impression that Malwarebytes wasn't a full blown "anti-virus" program and I needed more protection. I also have the life time license for Malwarebytes Premium, so maybe I'll uninstall Bitdefender and just run Malwarebytes. Or uninstall Bitdefender and try Windows Defender with Malwarebytes.

I have Bitdefender license with unlimited devices mainly for my families phones and their pc's. I was running it with Malware-bytes and found that MB would catch more stuff than Bitdefender would and also that Bitdefender was slowing down my surfing so I took it off. I visit some questionable sites (not adult sites) where there would be issues without some sort of AV or Anti-Malware and MB catches it all.

It would cost a small fortunate to get the same type of coverage for all my families devices with MB so they can run Bitdefender and I'll stick to MB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back