0W20 in my VW 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
your turbo seals will leak badly.

Max ..help me out here. Just what makes you feel that this is an assured outcome? Why should a few ticks in visc make a seal good or un-good
54.gif

Well, if his turbo uses a labyrith type seal, then viscosity will be a major factor in causing it to weep, esp during heat soak conditions. These seals directly rely on an oil's resistance to flow (viscosity), and heat soaking in a turbo bearing section would make quick work of a 0w20 causing it to travel further and further out into the exhaust turbine. You are right though, I can't absolutely say with certainty that that will happen, but it has happened.

Thanks for that ..really. It appears that there's a baffled (as labyrinth implies) obstacle course for the oil to travel.

So, I guess it would be reasonable to say that it will be easier for oil to navigate the obstacle.

I have to run my GC/Syntec 10w30 combo for 5-7k miles, then I will dump it and put in either 5w20 synthetic or M1 0w20, whichever is cheaper (probably 5w20 syn.). I may just run the oil for 5k miles (high wear metals be darned) and see how things look in a UOA then.

WA-VIN WAY-ANE WA-VIN WAY-ANE (while doing either the Lawrence Welk or Mitch Miller arm animations - "everybody!"
grin2.gif
)

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I've changed my mind a little. I think I'm going to run Redline 5w20 for my 20wt experiment.

LOL.gif
Well, not a bad choice. Has the shear stability of a 30wt. Amsoil Dominator would be a good choice too although regular good ol Mobil 1 0w20 might have worked. Too many oils, too little time.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I've changed my mind a little. I think I'm going to run Redline 5w20 for my 20wt experiment.

I feel better now for your engine.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back