Manually filtering used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

Would you folks agree that most synthetic motor oils (say mobil 1 for example) does NOT break down significantly after 7500 - 10,000 miles? Would I be correct in stating that the ADD pack in the oil would still be in good condition - with the exception of metal/combustion debris? (Or are there too many variables - engine type, running conditions, etc... involved here to make a generalized statement?)

A strictly hypothetical question - I know any decent engine oil filter will trap most of the debris, but all oil filters have limitations - flow vs filtering capabilities. So, has anyone ever manually filtered dirty, but otherwise good used oil to be reused again? Could this be done, or would this be a waste of time?

I did it once a long time ago with a commercial filter and a home made setup. Complete waste of time and effort. I was younger then
smile.gif

Aren't there something out there (literally) that uses toilet paper to filter oil in car to the point where basically you just top it off every once in a while?

I am sure someone who is very knowledgable will come along and set you on a course of action.

Frantz is the toilet paper filter set-up. Do a search on any search engine. Bypass filtration.
Also I believe Bob Woods sells a kit that uses a paper towel roll. There are too many companies too list them all.
cheers.gif

They make commerical filter carts that filter various oils to sub micron levels. It is usualy not seen outside of commerical applications.

quote:

Originally posted by TR Graham:
Gents,

Would you folks agree that most synthetic motor oils (say mobil 1 for example) does NOT break down significantly after 7500 - 10,000 miles? Would I be correct in stating that the ADD pack in the oil would still be in good condition - with the exception of metal/combustion debris? (Or are there too many variables - engine type, running conditions, etc... involved here to make a generalized statement?)

A strictly hypothetical question - I know any decent engine oil filter will trap most of the debris, but all oil filters have limitations - flow vs filtering capabilities. So, has anyone ever manually filtered dirty, but otherwise good used oil to be reused again? Could this be done, or would this be a waste of time?

I weas wondering the same thing. If you hooked up a bypass filter, and ran it thru untill it was clean, I would think the only thing missing would be additives that were used up in the engine. And maybe just mixing new oil would bring the additive level up to accetable. From what I read about bypass filters, you can run very long OCI's by just topping off. This would be the same thing.

youre essentially bypass filtering all at once.

A good oil filter will get out junk effectively enough to protect your engine just fine.

I'd say to replace the filter at the point where yu want to manually filter the oil. This will ensure that the filter doesnt restrict, and then top up with fresh oil, to slightly up the additive pack.

JMH

I rigged a dual toilet paper filter up to filter my tractor's 10 gal hydraulic sump. It uses a 1.8 gpm 120v pump going through (2) filters all housed in a tool box. Works great.

I also plan to do a similar off-line filter for my motorcycle & extend the OCI.

The TP bypass filters I use on the autos are the same idea, though continually filtering. I haven't changed the oil in a year in my van, truck, or tractor - but they get top off oil at filter change (0.5 to 0.75 qt per 3000m on a 22k per year van, 1500m on an F150, and 50hrs on the tractor.) The (2) UOA's on the diesel tractor were exceptional. This spring I plan to test the auto's - at least one with a particle anaylsis.

Bobby Unser filtered his AMSOIL gear lube through cheesecloth for the better part of a year before going through Superior WI and getting a case from Al. That was a few years back--like 25 or so.

I have a friend that rode a motorcycle, Suzuki I think, for a long time and always wondered why the oil stayed so clean. HE took it apart one time and found that there was a disk that spun the oil off into a circular channel at high speed-yup, a centrufuge built right into the engine. Ever since then I have been plotting a way to do it with more than a centrifuge tube at a time. Seems like a viable alternative to filtering and could be adapted to quite a volume setup.

I saw on Ebay a 'Frantz salesman' demo unit that took the dirty oil, filtered it through the TP, and voila! clean oil.

I think it comes down to time vs cost; it makes more sense to just change your oil unless you operate a fleet of vehicles (as mentioned earlier).

With my VW Passat 1.8T, I think I need all of the detergent additive I can get, to keep the infamous sludge and coking problem at bay. It's all new Mobil 1 "[spoiled] European car formula" 0W-40 every 3000 to 3500 [urban] miles for me. I spend just under a penny a mile for DIY oil and filter changes, but it's alot cheaper than a new Hungarian engine.

Interesting. I wonder what kinds of "home" oil filtration systems would be on the market if we had to get away from the typical American "use it up and throw it away" mentality.

BTW - ediamiam, according to the Woods web site, they state that you can use quote "1 5/8" 10 Scott Kimberly Clark" TP.

If I ever get rid of this 4Runner, and get gold of the small diesel utility that I so desire, my filtering set-up will likely be.

An ex EFI fuel pump, pumping into a common header, which has a Z30 oil filter, and EFI fuel filter in parallel (able to be isolated individually), and a TP bypass around the pair of them.

Waste vege oil and diluent filtered through the engine oil filter for a while, followed by through the fuel filter, with the bypass going on in the background.

....if I get rid of the 4Runner.

You can also use an air compressor to push the old oil through a filter. Some guys use their old engine oil filters to filter vegetable oil in this way.

Steve

Steve,
when I did my thesis, a pressure tank with a regulated air supply was how we got the fuel to the injector.

You would have to use what John is refering to and it would cost more than the oil. Not financially sound at all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back