Using HPL 10w-60 in a Classic Engine?

I've been on the look out for the perfect oil for our classic 1950s Land Rover. The engine is a 2l petrol. It has a really basic "bypass style" oil filter. It only does about 2000 miles per year. Most of them fairly short trips and just pottering about.

I am thinking this would be a fantastic oil for using in it. Excellent cleaning capability, nice and thick as well.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Believe it or not, this is not even a HPL oil.

You need to look here...

You're going to struggle to get HPL oils over here. I'm hoping to make the trip over to HPL in May for the open day when the release the day and bring some back with me. :ROFLMAO:
HPL oil is made by High Performance Lubricants, but it is a different formulation compared to what High Performance Lubricants sells. Both are great oils, just for different circumstances. HPL oil is more for racing or “street/strip” applications. High Performance Lubricants oil is geared more for a daily driver.

The site you want is: https://www.advlubrication.com/

I believe they are exactly the same oils. I had the same question a while back and Dave clarified the reason for there being 2 sites.
They are produced at the same facility, but are very different formulas. The red labeled "HPL" oils are produced to spec for the guy that owns Precision Turbo, that is his line of oils and his formula. The black bottle "High Performance Lubricants" oils are the ones developed by Dr. Rudnick and formulated/tested in-house by Dave and company.

Believe it or not, this is not even a HPL oil.

You need to look here...

You're going to struggle to get HPL oils over here. I'm hoping to make the trip over to HPL in May for the open day when they release the date and bring some back with me. :ROFLMAO:
Totally incorrect, yes they are made by HPL, they operate a few different websites and has been discussed before but in the end it's all the same.

Well it's confusing at best, still made by HPL in the end.
Blended by HPL/Advanced Lubrication for a 3rd party. Saying it's the same is like saying SuperTech was Mobil 1 back when Mobil was blending it for Walmart.

Yes, it's confusing, because HPL on here refers to "High Performance Lubricants", not the product labelled "HPL", and the fact that they are both blended by the same manufacturer compounds that confusion.

However, one is the actual branded product of Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants (black bottle stuff), while the other is a custom blend for a 3rd party (HPL silver bottle, red lettering).

Blended by HPL/Advanced Lubrication for a 3rd party. Saying it's the same is like saying SuperTech was Mobil 1 back when Mobil was blending it for Walmart.

Yes, it's confusing, because HPL on here refers to "High Performance Lubricants", not the product labelled "HPL", and the fact that they are both blended by the same manufacturer compounds that confusion.

However, one is the actual branded product of Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants (black bottle stuff), while the other is a custom blend for a 3rd party (HPL silver bottle, red lettering).

That has to be one of the most pointlessly confusing product line ups I've heard of then. I'm sure it's probably still decent stuff, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to pick that over a well known brand here in the UK like Castrol in the same way I would if it was the stuff you have all been using here on this forum.

Cheers for all the info! 😀

M-1 15w-50 or M-1 0w-40 have worked very well in classic cars I have serviced. Over the past 25 years I’ve mainly used the 15w-50. But more recently, from 4 or 5 years sgo, I’ve gradually been transitioning to the M-1 0w-40 in my own classics and those belonging to customers. Hot oil pressure is the same with both products.

Z

Been using M1 15w-50 in my well used SIII for ~15 years. Did a short interval when I first got the vehicle out of caution, then annual changes. Happy so far. Pic please!

Cheers. Here is a pic.

1702204448972.jpeg

Call me the odd person out, but why? These engines were designed to run very low grade 30 or 40 weight straight oils, are not at all stressed (about 70 horsepower from their 2.0L) and in you case driven very little. As such, any modern multigrade mineral oil, 10w-40 or 20w-50, or multifleet 15w-40 will provide as much protection, but cost literally 1/5 or less than the HPL oil.

Call me the odd person out, but why? These engines were designed to run very low grade 30 or 40 weight straight oils, are not at all stressed (about 70 horsepower from their 2.0L) and in you case driven very little. As such, any modern multigrade mineral oil, 10w-40 or 20w-50, or multifleet 15w-40 will provide as much protection, but cost literally 1/5 or less than the HPL oil.
I agree, if this were me I would probably use GTX Classic from Walmart and call it a day.

I agree that i don't really see the point of running a 10w60 in it? Unless it has dramatically low oil pressure?
It would probably do just fine with a 15w40 such as Shell Rimula R4X or Mobil Delvac MX 15w40, or maybe Valvoline Vr1 20w50.

Back