Firestone FR380 / 2000 Dodge Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from the tire shop to get a bid. They stock Bridgstone/Firestone primarily but can order anything I need.
I was quoted 421.00 out the door, which includes allignment on this 50k tire (Firestone FR380) All the reviews I read on it are not good.

Are the reviews I'm seeing typically from those with expections that exceed the sort of tire they have which means it is actually a good tire for what I need? It's going on a minivan which is designed to simply go down the highway in a straight line. I mean, this thing wasn't designed to corner on a dime anway. Or should I be looking for a different tire which has good ratings i.e. BF Goodrich Traction T.A. which will cost me 80-100 more?

What's the tire size?

What do you want a tire to do for you? Are there things about your current tire you love/hate?

Size is P215/65R15

My current tire on now is the Bridgestone Insignia, and have no opinion...I get the life out of them I expected, so I have no issues. It's just that I'm broke and these Firestones will save me money for now. And right now...I have to "live in the now" if you know what I mean?

Originally Posted By: strombony
Size is P215/65R15

My current tire on now is the Bridgestone Insignia, and have no opinion...I get the life out of them I expected, so I have no issues. It's just that I'm broke and these Firestones will save me money for now. And right now...I have to "live in the now" if you know what I mean?

Ohhhh yeah, I hear that one loud and clear. I'm in the same boat as you.

If it were me, I'd be shopping around seeing who could cut me a killer deal on tires. At this price point most tires are about the same. Will spending another $100 get you a better tire? Maybe, a little. But maybe there's a tire joint that has a bunch of tires in your size that need to be blown out.

Gotta say $421 otd seems a little steep for these tires. I found a set of General Altimax RT tires on Tire Rack that come with a $50 Visa gift card. Net price after shipping and install minus the Visa card was about $310. Just sayin there's a better deal out there for ya.

Cheap tires are exactly that.... cheap. You'll probably be lucky to get 40,000 miles from the FR380. They'll feel like you're riding on half-flat tires all of the time, and they'll squeal like mad when you do any sort of a move that is anything above mild.

And a cheap Firestone is really scary to me. They've made good tires that have literally fallen apart, and no one but Firestone has gone through the process of recalling millions and millions of tires in their history. That's why I call them "Failure-prone" instead of "Firestone".

The FR380 would be the last tire I'd ever use on anything. I'd only use it if I had to put tires on something that I knew that I'd be selling in a short amount of time.

First of all, is this a chain tire dealer such as TiresPlus? What else can they get for you in the same price range (or for a few bucks more?) Anything from Cooper?

Do you have any warehouse stores nearby like Sam's or Costco? They'll usually carry an OE grade tire for a good price. Sam's has a nice BFGoodrich Touring T/A with a 70,000 warranty for $70 each. That should get you out the door for $350.

Also, a cheaper substitute would be a P205/70R15. There will be very little difference in the size of the tire itself. Of course, some places will not install anything except the OE size of tire. Some vehicles, such as my Silverado, have more than one tire size that is acceptable for use. On the 2wd model, two different sizes are acceptable.

Also, do you *know* that you need an alignment, or are you being told that you need one?

Well, They can get me a BF Goodrich Traction TA out the door which includes allignment and liftime rotation for 504.00. That would only be $80.00 more. I know that sounds like a lot, but I rotate my tires religously every 5-6k so that saves me money vs purchasing them from tire rack and not getting the lifetime rotation...
So, you guys think I would be happier with the better quality BF Goodrich TA's over those 380/Firestones? And family would be safer?

Do you *KNOW* that you need an alignment????

Have you shopped more than one tire store?

Yes, I'd seriously consider the BFG over the FR380, for the extra $. BFG is owned by Michelin.

Face it, you're going to have to live with what you put on it for 3-5 years (unless you're driving 20k+ a year). I want to be happy with something that lasts that long.

I agree, my mind is made up...going to spend the extra 80.00 and get the BF Goodrich TA's...

BF Goodrich TA's are on the way... I found no bad reviews on them. I think it's time for me to stay away from Firestone tires based on what I read and the reviews.

Thanks guys for your help and opinions. :)

One other question about the BF Goodrich...they are not multi-directional I think.. Which means that have to be rolling the same direction whenever you have them rotated correct? Is that an issue when you have some kid rotating your wheels who doesn't realize that the tire is directional? What if he put it on to where it was rolling the opposit direcion?

BF Goodrich TA and General Altimax RT are similar in many ways. Both have 70,000 miles treadlife warranty, TR speed rating but UTQG of Altimax RT is A A vs A B for Goodrich TA.
Treaddepot dot com has Altimax RT for $62/each and no tax nor shipping, with $50 rebate for 4, the net cost is $198. Walmart can install with life time balance and rotation for about $13/each, the total cost of installed 4 Altimax RT tires is $250, much less than $504 for Goodrich TA. If you really need alignment add about $50 to $250 for a total of $300.

Max load 1565 lbs for Altimax RT and 1510 lbs for Goodrich TA, max pressure is 44 psi for both tires. Altimax RT weights 1 lb less than Goodrich TA at 22 lbs vs 23 lbs. Better tires for less money, what else can you ask for ?

BF Goodrich TA's are on the way...

If you ordered it online and it weren't shipped yet, cancel the order if possible then order Altimax RT from treadepot dot com ASAP to get the $50 Visa gift card, because "it must be purchased from in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m. EDT June 10, 2008 and 11:59 p.m. EDT August 4, 2008"

... It's just that I'm broke and these Firestones will save me money for now. And right now...I have to "live in the now" if you know what I mean?

I'm trying to save you some money and at the same time get better tires too. But the final decision is your to make, if you think saving $200 with a little extra un-convenience (take delivery of the tires and take the tires to Walmart for installation) is worthed it, then ...

Ok...I may check in to it.. The guy at the tire shop isn't going to order my tires until Mon morning, so I could cancel it.

See if your local tire guy will match the deal. Print out the price from Tread Depot and take it into your tire joint and ask the manager. I mean, we're talking 1/2 price for a very comparable tire. He'll understand what the deal is and if he wants to keep your business, he should work with you a bit.

I'll do that... Also, do any of you know if there are any pro's or con's to installing a directional only tire? The other tire I'm considering is the BF Goodrich TA which can only be rotated fronts to back because it is in fact directional. For some reason, I always thought that non-directional tires get worn better because they eventually end up at each corner of the veheicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back