CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-40 vs. MOBIL SUPER S 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I decided to start this discussion because those products are almost at the same price, BUT I think they differ in their features and qualities.

I have been searching the Internet for information, but I could not get any particular conclusion.

Some oppinions about CASTROL MAGNATEC really amused me: some said that it is a MINERAL OIL while MOBIL SUPER S is a Symthetic technology oil. (I had been thinking that both are classified as SEMI-SYNTHETIC)
21.gif
21.gif

My company car is running with the MOBIL SUPER S.. this oil has the familiar smell of BUTTER COOKIES, same as synthetic oils. (Since I do not have a chemical lab, I just use basic tests... envolving my nose
LOL.gif
)

CASTROL MAGNATEC - I did not have any of this oil, so I bought one liter bottle. My curiosity was stronger than the risk of a financial loss
LOL.gif

This oil is commonly used and recommended in Europe, and it is recommended by Castrol for most of the VW/Audi engines for almost all models prior to year 1997.
But it smells like an ordinary MINERAL oil (the smell is similar to DIESEL FUEL). Almost no traces of the BUTTER COOKIE smell (if any at all)
LOL.gif

So I think that this simple test covers the oppinion I have read - Castrol Magnatec is a MINERAL oil.
It has some esters, and the formula is UNIQUE MOLECULLAR ATTRACTION (UMA), but how long does it last? Who knows?

What do you think? I know all this tests sound funny, but there is a chance that Castrol is trying to sell a product with not that good features for its price..

3dracti bulgarino

Both are good oils but i would prefer mobil. It's got a nice 3.95 HTHS and 230C flash point.

ΓΕΙΑ ΣΟΥ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ!

I think you are right, and the MOBIL is a 'SYNTHETIC-BLEND', the CASTROL is 'SEMI-SYNTHETIC'.

What is the difference between these two technologies? Still the Castrol is more expensive than the Mobil in my country...

I don't see any differnce in "SYNTHETIC-BLEND" and 'SEMI-SYNTHETIC' , practicaly it's the same.
How much do they cost there? I have lived 4 years in Plovdiv but i haven't visited Bulgaria for quite some time.

Castrol's price is 75 lv., Mobil's price is 65 lv. for 4 liter.
In Euro - 37.5 and 32.5, not too big difference but still enough to get an oil filter :)

Glad to meet you Yannis, I like Greece very much, very beautiful country :)

Originally Posted By: Leo
Originally Posted By: yannis
You 've got prettier girls and beautiful mountains.

I'd go with whatever was cheaper out of the 2.

Hmm... that's a tough one, but I think the girls might be cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Leo
Originally Posted By: yannis
You 've got prettier girls and beautiful mountains.

I'd go with whatever was cheaper out of the 2.

Hmm... that's a tough one, but I think the girls might be cheaper.

LOL.gif

This is not Mexico dude. But we have cheap gipsy girls if you would like..

Anyway, I will not use both of those oils, currently using MOBIL1 5W-50 but will switch to MOBIL1 0W-40 or CASTROL EDGE 0W-40

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back