Stashing Oil a Thing of the Past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
To the OP, if you have some GC green, you are one lucky fellow. I bet you hate to use it, because it's your last.

I really don't care for the GC in any of my current cars. I only still have GC Green for use in my lawn mower.

I am sure that will make some folks laugh.

I have a stash, but don't add to it much these days. Onlyon rare occasions when I find super deals or try a new one.
Besides the danger of obsolescence, I see several benefits:

- when changing oil I have every type I could possibly need at home, so don't have to go to the store
- inflation

There are several problems when you don't have the oil you need. I need to go to a store and often pay a high price because I cannot wait for a sale. Before BITOG I paid $10/qt for a synth blend for motorcycle oil. Not to mention M1 regular prices here for jugs are around $40-$50. Compared to PP at Walmart special I got for about $20.

Therefore, by stashing I ensure availability of appropriate type when needed AND a much better price. To deal with changing technology, I simply change my target. These days I look for xW20 more than xW30 as that is the future.

All that being said, my current stash at over 100qt is too big, so I am on a diet now
wink.gif

Forgot to mention the other point - inflation.

It is now pickuping up speed, so much that my stash also acts as a cost protection. In 5+ years when prices double I'll just keep going to my stash. That way I kill 2 birds with one stone: lower cost and smaller stash :)

Though I have a big stash, I'll keep buying when regular oil is offered at 59¢ a quart and synthetic is offered under $3 a quart. I can only imagine that the price of motor oil here will go up to match the prices with the rest of the world.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
To the OP, if you have some GC green, you are one lucky fellow. I bet you hate to use it, because it's your last.

I really don't care for the GC in any of my current cars. I only still have GC Green for use in my lawn mower.

I am sure that will make some folks laugh.

I don't see anything special about the current GC, just that it's almost a 40 weight and very shear stable. But, the GC when it was green was the best :) Your lawnmower is blessed.

I don't really have room for much of a stash, oil or filters. And I plan only two changes a year. If I see PP on sale with or without a filter, I'll grab enough for a year, but not beyond that.

I still stash all the time. I have over 150 quarts in the basement and don't consider it a waste, because I maintain 5 cars. I buy all of it on sale, I never buy it at full price. Got Exxon Superflo for $1/quart, Pennzoil for $1/quart, Quaker State for $1/quart, Formula Shell for .50c/quart, Pennzoil Platinum for $3/quart, Havoline Synthetic for $3/quart, Havoline for .69c/quart, etc. etc.

Last edited:
I have a decent sized stash (approx 175 quarts) only because my cars don't need the latest 'hi tech' oil. So when I see closeout oil thats priced 49 to 79 cents, of course I will buy as much as possible.

Five years from now I wouldn't worry about using my SL rated oil in a brand new car.

If oil gets rationed--the problem will not be motor oil,you won't be able to buy gas! The only reason to stash now is price. It's only going to go up. The only real thing to stash is gas, but there's the problem--it doesn't store well. Maybe a year with stabilizers.

I only use Mobil 1 and I only like to buy it in the 5 quart bottles. So far only Wal Mart sells it for less on a regular basis in my area. It's odd that the Costco per quart price is more than Wal Mart. And besides, the 5 quart bottles make my oil changes take less time and they are perfect for disposing of the the old oil.

Originally Posted By: BGK
I only use Mobil 1 and I only like to buy it in the 5 quart bottles. So far only Wal Mart sells it for less on a regular basis in my area. It's odd that the Costco per quart price is more than Wal Mart. And besides, the 5 quart bottles make my oil changes take less time and they are perfect for disposing of the the old oil.

Nope on Costco selling stuff for cheaper. In fact, I find that their prices are actually higher on a lot of products than other stores. That's why we don't go there much any more. We price checked and found that by not going to Costco, we actually have more moola in our pocket....more than enough moola to be able to afford boutique oils such as Amsoil SSO 0w30.
LOL.gif

Costco does really well on things like milk/dairy, meat, and special purchase items. On commodity hard goods they are not going to be much cheaper than anybody else and sometimes more expensive. But I have returned things to Costco a year after buying them, without packaging and without a receipt, when they broke. That is why I prefer to buy there compared with anywhere else. Wal-Mart is my second choice for the same reason. Can't stand Target, their customer service sucks.

For oil, Costco in my area is only a good deal on Delo, and only barely better than Wal-Mart, by about a buck a gallon.

I agree with you on the return policy at Costco glenn. I have never had problems taking things back, including a laptop and several other electronic items.

Stashing oil isn't like stashing designer jeans. Who cares if a "new and improved formula" comes out if the old formula still suits your needs? If I can find oil at bargain closeout prices or on a FAR, I'm buying it. It will still work in my car just fine three years down the road.

I have a good bit of oil that I have accumulated through BOGO at AAP and other oil sales. I can't pass up a good price on oil. My stash includes:

10W-30 Valvoline SynPower: 58 quarts.
10W-30 Valvoline dino: 12 quarts
Valvoline HD 30 dino: 40 quarts
Castrol HD 40 dino: 12 quarts
Havoline HD 30 dino SL 14 quarts

Oil Filters: Wix 51348 8 filters
Purolator L10241 2 filters
Purolator L14670 2 filters
Synthetic is for my 94 T-100 V6 and my son's 2007 Tacoma V6.
I run the mono grades in my lawnmower and riding lawn mower.
This amount of oil will last several years, however I will continue to buy more if I find a deal.

I've returned about 5g of Rotella 30 to WalMart that I got for a buck. wth, I'm buying more oil there anyway (M1 0w-20).

If I can find name brand oil(respected here at BITOG) that has been discontinued, sale/bebate or on closeout for a really cheap price, I'll buy a boat load or what ever the store will allow. This is what I did when I discovered BITOG back in 04 and read through the "Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions" section. I did this to some degree prior to 04 but, only about 2-3 cases of oil at a time. Now, I look for any stragler qts as well as cases. I've paid as little as .19c for dino and .59c for syn per qt. Usually a bit more though such as .59c for dino and $1-$2.00 for syn per qt. Between our 3-5 vehicles(ususlly 3 vehicles but sometimes I buy an oldie on impulse) and family members/friends that I may owe a favor, I like to stash oil... An oil/filter change to a friend/family is good payback.

I've always been a person who stashed oil, and various auto parts. Then I came to this site and discovered I wasn't the only person suffering from this obsession! I look for deals, on oil and filters. Its a lot easier to do an OC eliminating the trip to the store.

For some, buying and stashing oil is a pastime hobby? I don't want to spend the time or gas dollars trying to find oil. I do check AZ, AA and always end up at WM for my M1 or PP. I use ~ 12 quarts of oil a year and at WM that is $40. If I could possibility find PP at $2 / quart I would save $16/year. Now $16 is money but to fill my gas tank it cost me ~ $50 per week and that adds up quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back