Land Rover Freelander oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a little help guys.

Land Rover Freelander, 2.?/V-6. Auto belongs to my daughter and son in law, they need an oil change, however getting info out of them is like pulling "Hens Teeth". What is the oil capacity? What is the recommended grade and wieght?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.freelanderowners.com/Service.asp
Should give a lot of info.
cheers.gif

I "think" the engine is a 2.5L Duratec Ford based engine. The 2.5L Duratec oil filter is the Motorcraft FL 820S and the total oil fill with filter is 5.5 quarts/5.2 liters. But I must say I'm not sure about the Land Rover specs and if they are different than the Ford's. In all honesty if it's like "pulling hen's teeth" from your daughter and son in law maybe it's best to let them handle it themselves, for better or worse. Assuming YOU didn't buy them the Freelander and it's not under your name and responsibility.

Whimsey

Thanks "oldman". Those are "thick" oils compared to the 5W-30 recommended for the Ford 2.5L Duratec engine. I really don't know how Land Rover changed the engine or why the need for the "thicker" oil. It would be interesting to find out.

Whimsey

I thought Rover was bought out by BMW and they had the 4.4 V8 in some of them a few years ago. Did Ford buy Rover from BMW after that?

Ford bought Rover from BMW.

The Range Rover has a BMW X5 sourced 4.4L V-8 since the design was done during BMW's tenure.

The new LR3 has a Jaguar based 4.4L V-8 since the design was finalized during Ford's tenure.

I believe the Freelander is based on the Ford Escape.

Gene

The Freelander's 2.5L KV6 is a true Rover engine and I don't believe has anything in common with the Fords. Similarly, if you look at the shock towers, etc., I don't think the Freelander is in any way an Escape.
patriot.gif

Merry Christmas!

Rover just like Jag was given a block to which they designed everything else for the Freelander. Jag did the same thing with the 3.0 and the 4.0 and 4.2 liter engine.

Use a good Synthetic 5w30 and run the Freelander until the wheels fall off.

Oldman, Thanks a bunch for the info and the website, got what I needed there.

Whimsey, Yep, I guess your right I should "turn my back on it" but my granddaughter rides in that vehicle. And I have never been one to just up and quit no matter the dicouragemant. But thanks to you to sir for the info and the time it took to post.

Gene K, This thing don't look like any Ford I ever seen. When I first started pondering the oil grade, weight and type, I figured easy, just do what the other Fords are doing, 5w-20 Motorcraft blend. But after looking at this thing I had second thoughts thus my question posted here. Thank You.

NEPA_Z, I have to agree with you. Thank You.

No; the Freelander V6 was a proprietary development by Powertrain Limited, and the Jag V8s were done by Jag. Later a version was farmed to Ford for the Lincoln LS / Tbird. Only the Jag V6 is really closely related to the Ford Duratec. The Jag V8s are not related to the Ford modulars except by marriage.

Check out http://www.powertrainltd.com for more on the Rover K fours and sixes.

Thanks for all the help guys. My SIL and I got the oil changed this morning. Them dang Brits don't make it easy. Had to remove a very large skid pan from the bottom of the engine bay. Can't figure why they go to all the trouble to put a skid pan on it and have the bottom of the skid pan made out of plastic. But we got her done. Used Landrover filter, and Mobil 1 0w-40. Of all the oils listed in the Landrover manual, the M-1 and Castrol were the only ones I could find.

The Rover now has 18k miles on it, it drives well, sounds good, and looks good. One concern I have, was the amount of varnish/sludge on the inside of the oil cap. What I would consider a bunch, with visible build up. This was also found on the inside of the engine, (I gave it the finger test) real build up on my finger.

Question is: Should we be concerned about this? Presently the car is driven about 10 to 15 miles a day, all of it, I would consider intown/stop-n-go. The plan is to change the oil sometime in late January and do a RX cleanup on the engine.

As far as I know the car has used, the 12k mile service as recommended by Landrover and has been service at a Landrover facility. The sludge/varnish found in this engine does not impress me. What I recommended to the SIL is changing the oil/filter more often, no more than 5k or 6 months, which at the rate the miles are put on this car, the oil will be changed at 6 month intervals with about 2 to 3k on it. Do you guys think this is okay?

Once again thanks for the information, advice and help.

Sounds very reasonable. 6 months is reasonable. I might suggest going for M1 5w40 instead, if they are in Louisiana as well. No real need for 0w oil at those higher temps, and it is a little more stable, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back