Valvoline Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what you guys thought of Valvoline Brand Oil filters, presumably manufactured by champion laboratories. We order them by the case at work and stock about 10 different part numbers which cover nearly all vehicles with canister filters. Is this common? I usually pay 2-3$ a piece for them and was curious if anybody has any data on them that shows them performing well over long OCI's. Theres no packaging/propoganda that goes along with them for me to read because they come in cardboard cases. They are very heavy filters and have only seen one or two defects in two years.

Thanks
Jim

I've used them before, I believe they're made by Champion Labs, but I'm not positive. I've never ran one further than 3k though so I couldn't help you on how long they'd last mileage wise. However, I have ran one for over 7 months (3k miles) and it held up to the test of time in that application.

Here's a picture of a Maxlife filter that I used a while back. it was a Purolator, and I was perfectly pleased with it's performance. This one was used on a '97 Ford Expedition.

Pict0003.jpg

My wife had her oil changed on our Explorer V-6 4.0 and the required filter is the Big standard FL-1A filter. The valvoline quick oil change place made several mistakes that really PIS?ED me off. This was the one time that I didn't have time to change it myself so she brought it there. The guy installed the filter loose.... so it was dripping. The filter was half the size of a FL-1A filter. The drain plug was missing the seal, and was cranked in so tight (to prevent it from leaking) that I stripped a wrench trying to remove it. I didn't cut open the filter I was so disgusted, just replaced it and started over.

Our explorer has over 170K miles on it, and the inside of the engine looks like the day it was built from the factory in Germany. I've had it apart enough to know while doing the timing chains. But with 170,000 miles of success with the BIG filter on it and consistent oil changes we've been able to keep it extremely clean internally. I don't see why Valvoline would change the FL-1A to their version which is half the size when it's already been proven that the original filter works. Maybe the "tech" installed the wrong filter.

Last edited:
The Purolator engineered Max Life filters were for retail store sales, decent filter just over priced, I have not seen them in a while.

The Valvoline quick lube filters are champion, probably identical to the Walmart super tech and the STP filters.

Many moons ago, I had my oil changed at VIOC. The manager of the store said that the Valvoline filters were made by Champion Labs. Every time I had my oil changed, I noticed a slight leak around the filter (VO 41, I believe). When I started changing my own oil, and using a Motorcraft filter, the leaking stopped.

I picked up some regular valvoline filters for $1.20 on clearance from home depot. Their book was gone so I had to cross reference to some numbers I knew in my head. Haven't used them yet.

That explorer half-length filter might have been required for a 2wd/4wd difference or a year different or whatever, so the tech looked it up wrong. I'd still be mad though. Goes PH8-PH43-PH16 in semi-universal fram numbers, in declining length. (PH8=FL1a)

they sold oil filters. failed experiment. $3.49 original price.

The product rebate section contains many braggings over cleearance oils but they sold filters too.

The Vo40 sitting here has a hastily applied "Made in Mexico" sticker FWIW. Has a "AA" stamped in the baseplate. This crosses to the small toyota 3/4x16 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back