LARD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've just noticed that the Lard we've been buying to use in pastry (Morrell Snow Cap Lard) is actually labelled lard 'with hydrogenated lard'. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any experience of finding a lard (pig fat) that does not contain hydrogenated product.

The only place where I've ever encountered lard was European wine cellars. There they give you a piece of bread with a little goose lard on it to help you clear your palate between sampling various kinds of wine.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't touch it for obvious reasons. It's good for making soap, though!

Quote:

The only place where I've ever encountered lard was European wine cellars. There they give you a piece of bread with a little goose lard on it to help you clear your palate between sampling various kinds of wine.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't touch it for obvious reasons. It's good for making soap, though!

I never use soap made with sodium tallowate anymore.

You win.
tongue.gif

Manteca from a good shop is usually a high quality non-hydrogenated lard. However, you might not want to use it for applications like pastry, pie dough, or fried chicken, due to the slight toasty pork flavor it gets from the rendering process. The fresh Mexican version would of course be perfect for tamales or refried beans.

If you can't find what you want, buy some good leaf lard and render it yourself. If you can't find it locally, you should be able to get it shipped to you from here:
http://www.iowa-natural-meats.com/

If you try the manteca and find porky overtones to your pastry, try a mixture of half butter and half manteca, which you can also adjust to taste.

Well , one of the reasons that we are searching is that in certain types of pastry lard makes a big difference to the outcome. We could probably live with that but if someone knew a brand that was the real thing that would be better

Yeah, pie crust made from lard is the absolute best. Buy some of that leaf lard and render it yourself. It's simple to do, and you won't find anything better in a store. Last time I checked it was only a buck twenty five per pound. You can't complain about that.

Only ever used lard to make chicken and andouille (well chorizo) sausage.

Making with any other fat alters the taste badly. I've made it three times in 10 years, so I don't think the lard is gonna kill me.

If we cook a duckling, we keep the duck fat - makes great roast potatoes.

Pies all floury stuff gets unsalted, cultured butter.

From what I understand the hydrogenation helps keep the lard firm and shelf stable. I would imagine most national brands would have this ingredient.

Regular non-hydrogenated lard would have to be homemade or procured from the local butcher.

90%+ real organic. Everthing meat, poultry, vegs, milk shampoo, fruit well you name it. I know as I buy all the familys food. I don't cook so it's my job. Enjoy it too but I do cover some mileage getting it. I buy the best bugger the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back