Boar Taint

Previously I mentioned that US pork has a weird smell that isn’t common in Asia. I recently found out that it is called boar taint and is actually due to the lack of castration of young male at the early age that is common in Asian pig farms.

So far the only recommendation on getting rid of it after the fact is to soak the pork in water for 10 mins, extra ginger, cut out as much fat as you can, parboil, and maybe buying pork from Yorkshire and Hampshire breed if possible.

Any other suggestion you guys have?
Growing up in Europe, we used to eat a lot of pork, probably more than any other meat.

Ever since moving to the US, I pretty much stopped eating pork because of the funky smell. I figured it was just something that the pigs here were fed that caused this. Did not know about "boar taint" until I read your post today.

Apparently not everyone can smell it, but most people do.

I always thought it was processed badly or was old meat that's why it smelled bad. Growing up in Europe we didn't have that smell and since moving to the US I have reduced pork consumption drastically because of the smell.

I guess I have not noticed anything unusual with the pork I buy from Costco. I love smoking pork loin, butts, and bacon on my Yoder smoker.

Attachments

• M9vMwJxGR6K7TPtFhsTocg.jpg
    M9vMwJxGR6K7TPtFhsTocg.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 1
  • tGbs6RQjRPW5V26ZklYeOA.jpg
    tGbs6RQjRPW5V26ZklYeOA.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 2
Never ate wild pigs. We do not have them in Iowa, thank God! Had a few get loose some years ago from a fenced in "game farm"
Iowa said to shoot them all with no restrictions. I did however hear a pig snorting while fishing back then, in a remote area. Unholstered my 9MM while in the boat, but never saw a pig come out of the brush. Closest farm was a mile away. Guess a few old country boys had the problem solved shortly. Sad to say, I was not one of them.

Yeah, being in the heart of Pork production country...not noticed any funny tasting pig...and we eat it probably around 5 times per week. The Loin is low fat, cheap, and super tasty...

Never run across a wild pig in all my years of running in the "wild" here in Iowa, but it wouldn't surprise me. I am happy to hear we are having more sightings of Mountain Lions, Bobcat, and even some bear here in central Iowa...so them wild hogs might be in for a surprise :)

I know the funk flavor. I don’t think it’s a swine gender issue more of a feed and handling problem. We find good pork or buy from our neighbors across the road.

Most of the cheap lousy pork is from China own companies. Smith etc

Back