Zerex Asian Coolant Users ?

2017 Hyundai Sonata came from the factory "blue" color coolant ... OAT , HOAT , etc. I'm not sure about that but the Zerex Asian for Hyundai is blue in color and should work ... Not taking a chance with Prestone all makes & all models stuff - your thoughts on the Zerex Asian for Hyundai coolant ?

The blue Honda coolant is only a few bucks more a gallon and worth it in my opinion.
Not sure of Zerex but the Honda coolant is 50/50. If you do a proper flush with distilled water, you will have some water left in the engine when you add the new coolant and it may freeze at 0° or -10°F unless you add a few bottles of the expensive Extreme Cold Weather additive.

I recently changed the coolant in the Pathfinder, didn't flush because admittedly I'm lazy but I refilled with the Zerex blue asian coolant no issues so far.

A drain and fill is how the OEM intends for it to be done. The first change for a '17 Sonota is scheduled at 90k miles and every 30k after that.
Exactly, and that's the point. A spill and fill is a half arse way of doing it. If you get ALL the old coolant out and flush with distilled water such that only distilled water remains in the block, you could go ANOTHER 90K miles just as if it was from new. With the spill and fill you can only go 30K miles since the old coolant contaminates the new stuff reducing it's protection level. The OEM indends it, as few people will bother to do a proper flush.

I think the O.E.M Hyundia has to be blended . Not premix like HONDA O.E.M.. Topped off '18 Accent reservoir with the HONDA .

Last edited:
A drain and fill is how the OEM intends for it to be done. The first change for a '17 Sonota is scheduled at 90k miles and every 30k after that.
Along with the 90K miles is a time limit ... I hit 45K miles / 5 years and figured it was time to change out the original factory coolant . I do 30K / 3 years coolant change after that and never have a problem with past vehicle coolant systems .

Exactly, and that's the point. A spill and fill is a half arse way of doing it. If you get ALL the old coolant out and flush with distilled water such that only distilled water remains in the block, you could go ANOTHER 90K miles just as if it was from new. With the spill and fill you can only go 30K miles since the old coolant contaminates the new stuff reducing it's protection level. The OEM indends it, as few people will bother to do a proper flush.
Biggest issue is the difficulty of finding full strength Asian coolant-because it's pretty hard to get all the distilled out of the block, heater core, etc. Amazingly, the Asian PHOAT coolant seems to last just about forever-I've never heard of it damaging anything it's been in, even though a radiator drain & fill occasionally seems like a good idea.

Biggest issue is the difficulty of finding full strength Asian coolant

Any parts store or Amazon.

812HUKn4luL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Zerex Asian is the correct application. As well as the others mentioned.

Really no bother trying to get the OEM version from the dealer.

Zerex Asian Blue is great stuff.

Peak OET Blue is also good, and so is Pentofrost A3.

Another option is the Supertech Asian Blue from WMT, @$12.

ST is ok to use if it's the Recochem version. It will say Made in Canada on the back.

Walmart has been using both Prestone and Recochem for their recent ST coolant. :cautious:

Comparison of ZEREX Asian GREEN , BLUE and RED coolants . Scroll down .

how interesting.
why are so many ppl not springing for the super tech long life 50/50? is something not good about it? the one that says every 5 years or 150K miles.

i put that in my old camry since it was half the price of that Zerex and the only negative was ...its difficult to see the level through the tank Vs Zerex Asian Pink

i been topping off the Nissan Versa with
Super Tech Long Life Universal 50/50
but it seems to have stopped consuming.

Super tech long life is not compatible with Asian vehicles.
It contains 2-EHA, which Asian vehicle manufacturers feel is incompatible with gasket materials in the engine/cooling system.

Zerex Asian advertises the same 5 year/150k miles. So does Peak.

So, why risk using the wrong coolant to save a few bucks?

Back