Yukons: 4WD vs AWD in snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
tap/plug the galleys in the valley.

This is NOT necessary, I've heard all the crazy reasoning behind this mod. I tested the theory on a broken LS3 block.....The O-rings hold 175 PSI with zero leakage, I wanted to see how much pressure they will hold but I didn't want to push my 45 year old compressor higher than 175 PSI.

Yes, I tested some used O-ring as well, They were in decent shape but had over 100,000 miles on them.....No leakage.

Use NEW GM Valley cover Gasket & AFM Tower O-rings, Aftermarket stuff varies to much! To thick a Valley Cover gasket can compromise the AFM Tower O-ring compression.

Pictures so people know what we're talking about.....
kKF9NL5.jpg

ujSsbRq.jpg

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I have a 2011 Escalade with the 6.2 and full-time AWD. I assume this is the same drivetrain in the Yukon Denali? Mine is great in the snow. I have 78k miles on mine and I haven't had any problems with the engine or AFM. What kind of problems do people have with them? What are the symptoms?

The 6.2 was introduced in 2014, you have the 6.0 and have no worries about AFM.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Thinking about getting a Yukon, in the 2010-2014 range. I'd love to get a Denali to get the 6.2 V8. But it just has plain AWD. Does anyone have experience with that in the snow? It's replacing a Land Rover. I'm willing to step down to an SLT with the 5.3 to get normal 4WD, but if the AWD seems to work well for people I'd really love to get the 6.2. Thanks!

Nothing will help you without good tires.
Put snow tires and forget is it 4WD or AWD.
Do not forget, GMC etc. will never be in snow as good as Audi or Subaru, and they are AWD cars. Just because vehicle has good off road capabilities does not equal good snow capabilities.

Buy the one you like and can afford and make sure you buy decent in snow tires for it(research).

Great AWD can compensate for cruddy tires however a paltry FWD/Rwd with great winter tires is a better ride.

Good question though because some Awd is pretty bad like a Ford Flex I rented and dropped front wheels into deep snow on front and rear wheels still on pavement barely spun.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I have a 2011 Escalade with the 6.2 and full-time AWD. I assume this is the same drivetrain in the Yukon Denali? Mine is great in the snow. I have 78k miles on mine and I haven't had any problems with the engine or AFM. What kind of problems do people have with them? What are the symptoms?

No I lost definitely have a 6.2, and it definitely has AFM. The driver information display on the dash tells me when it's in 4 cylinder mode or 8 cylinder mode. The 6.2 was first available in 2006 Escalades. Escalades had different engine options than Suburbans.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Buy the one you like and can afford and make sure you buy decent in snow tires for it(research).

Great AWD can compensate for cruddy tires however a paltry FWD/Rwd with great winter tires is a better ride.

Good question though because some Awd is pretty bad like a Ford Flex I rented and dropped front wheels into deep snow on front and rear wheels still on pavement barely spun.

FWD vs RWD?
4WD GM very likely to have a locker in the rear and open differential in front … transfer case … not PTU
I have owned both Yukon and Tahoe AWD and 4WD systems and no trouble up to when traded in around 150k …

No I lost definitely have a 6.2, and it definitely has AFM. The driver information display on the dash tells me when it's in 4 cylinder mode or 8 cylinder mode. The 6.2 was first available in 2006 Escalades. Escalades had different engine options than Suburbans.

6.2L came in Escalade and Denali starting in 2007. Before that it was 6.0L

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

6.2L came in Escalade and Denali starting in 2007. Before that it was 6.0L

My mistake. Regardless, I have the 6.2 in mine.

If it is a family hauler just designed to run back and forth with minimal fuss I would choose AWD. If on the other hand the 4WD is needed very rarely and for limited occasions then I would choose that.
I am not familiar with the newer GMs but in general a 4wd system cannot be used on mixed snow/clear roads, it cannot be used over say 45,it needs to be turned off when entering say a gas station, you must always manually engage it, etc. An AWD system is always just there and will be when you need it. Generally speaking on the newer systems there is not much difference in moving components between the two since GM likes to use center disconnects in the front diff, maybe two u-joints total.
The difference however may be the newer transfer case as some allow 4wd and AWD which would give you the benefits of an AWD system but could still be run as 2wd if needed.

Most vehicles I see in the ditch in the winter are 4 wheel/AWD vehicles on regular tires. I've had a couple 4WD trucks, and running winter tires. I found out 4WD is way over rated, since I always had to shift it back to 2WD, since everywhere just salts the road, and ruins all the fun of driving in the snow anyway. My last truck was a 2WD 08 Silverado, that did great in the snow, along with my current 2WD 13 Tahoe PPV with winter tires. I can't believe how many people waste money on 4WD that is only good once and a while, when the right tires are better for way less money. I hated having 4WD 99% of the time in good conditions, when all I needed was 2WD. If I lived in the mountains, maybe.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Most vehicles I see in the ditch in the winter are 4 wheel/AWD vehicles on regular tires. I've had a couple 4WD trucks, and running winter tires. I found out 4WD is way over rated, since I always had to shift it back to 2WD, since everywhere just salts the road, and ruins all the fun of driving in the snow anyway. My last truck was a 2WD 08 Silverado, that did great in the snow, along with my current 2WD 13 Tahoe PPV with winter tires. I can't believe how many people waste money on 4WD that is only good once and a while, when the right tires are better for way less money. I hated having 4WD 99% of the time in good conditions, when all I needed was 2WD. If I lived in the mountains, maybe.

In CO that would be in this order:
1. Subaru
2. JEEP
3. Pick up trucks (pick a brand).

Originally Posted By: fordman65
4WD for me. You have the low and high range.
AWD is fine but just puts a lot of wear and tear on the system with it constanly engaged.
I learned to drive in a 4WD 78 CJ-5 Renegade Jeep.

Are these AWD systems constantly engaged? I thought that they were just "enabled"?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
AWD is fine but just puts a lot of wear and tear on the system with it constanly engaged.

Are these AWD systems constantly engaged? I thought that they were just "enabled"?

Depends on the system. My 2006 Sierra Denali with AWD is always engaged with a 60/40 split (rear recieves 60% and front 40%) so it is always ready instantly and can send up to 100% to wherever needed. This is a very competent system and provides optimum traction all the time.

The newer AWD systems such as on the latest small SUV's and such are worthless in my opinion because the only activate AWD when slip is detected and that is often too late. So where my truck will "already be in 4WD with power to all wheels" these AWD systems are really 2WD until slippage - which can be too late when traction is needed most.

It really depends on the system. On my Mazda the computer makes 200+ decisions a second and engages the rear wheels in a proactive manner. The percentage of power to the rear is also determined by the computer. I have detected zero slip when driving in winter conditions especially when going from dry pavement to packed snow ice or on streets where one side was packed and the other was dry due to the sun/shade conditions. That really impressed me.

These new systems also know when it is raining so power can be sent to the rear when going around a corner or uphill/downhill winding roads for example of which there are plenty around me.

Edit; As for the 4wd/awd vehicle’s being seen in ditches and such, that is the fault of the driver and not the system. Many think they are invincible on snow and ice but that sense is fleeting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
GM … what’s the split when on auto with mine

I PM'd some information for you.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Depends on the system. My 2006 Sierra Denali with AWD is always engaged with a 60/40 split (rear recieves 60% and front 40%) so it is always ready instantly and can send up to 100% to wherever needed. This is a very competent system and provides optimum traction all the time.

The newer AWD systems such as on the latest small SUV's and such are worthless in my opinion because the only activate AWD when slip is detected and that is often too late. So where my truck will "already be in 4WD with power to all wheels" these AWD systems are really 2WD until slippage - which can be too late when traction is needed most.

True, some of the AWD systems on smaller, mostly transverse SUV's and CUV's are truly bad. However, there are some really good one like VW, MB (those using Haldex) etc. Of course they cannot compare with BMW xDrive and especially Audi, Subaru etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back