your utilitarian Daily Driver!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pilot. Use it for everything. Great hauler.

17 Subaru Outback...it carries 3 kids and me! and a whole lot of sports gear.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

3 kids in the rear row in car seats or...? I have put on about 5k miles on a 2016 outback and wife and I were considering one for our family but I hardly feel like 3 kids could fit in the back...

At the moment, our daily drivers are a '12 Accord and a '17 Forester.
We have the old E350 for hauling.
We use the Accord for weekend shopping and errands, since I figure we might as well use the car that already has door dings.
We have both passed sixty and are no longer interested in driving something cheap and uncomfortable on our fifty mile daily commutes, although we did in years past.
Filled both of these cars over the last couple of days and we drove a bit over a thousand miles between them on 33.3 gallons of fuel, so not too bad.
In the old days, we would have done the same with a pair of Civic Wagons on less than 30 gallons, although neither car had the tank capacity to do the 542 miles I did with the Accord or the 470 miles my wife did with the Subie.

Originally Posted By: wemay
d00df00d for the WIN! Lol

Great care has gone into that rotary, i can tell.

cheers3.gif

I try.

It gets great throttle usage and tach sweeps, too. :-]

Seriously, this is our only car. We don't have a "more practical" one. The RX-8 does everything pictured, and more. Everyone around me seems to think they need an aircraft carrier to haul their kids around, and I'm over here like...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: wemay
d00df00d for the WIN! Lol

Great care has gone into that rotary, i can tell.

cheers3.gif

I try.

It gets great throttle usage and tach sweeps, too. :-]

Seriously, this is our only car. We don't have a "more practical" one. The RX-8 does everything pictured, and more. Everyone around me seems to think they need an aircraft carrier to haul their kids around, and I'm over here like...
21.gif

Now, d00df00d,
riddle me this: Who has the bigger smile, when (ahem) you drive in a (ahem) responsible (ahem) way? You or the baby ?

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Originally Posted By: BISCUT

3 kids in the rear row in car seats or...? I have put on about 5k miles on a 2016 outback and wife and I were considering one for our family but I hardly feel like 3 kids could fit in the back...

You need to get in touch with our resident King of cheapness, Hybrid driver and resurrect-er, El Jefino....
He had a couple threads about skinny carseats and how to get kids in one piece after a long travel ordeal....

my turn:
current: Mazda5... kids, kidz gear, vacation-mobile, full to the top and sides with building/painting/cleaning supplies (it took wife and I 2 hours to empty it), doors, etc etc

record holder: the '97 chrysler concorde: one massive outdoor garden chair on the back seat... just open back door and shove it....

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Thread should be titled, Name Your Favorite Hoopty

smile.gif

Gave up on Hoopty. The beater is now a 2008 Mercedes E-350. Has folding rear seats so I've bought a few things for the properties with it, but if it's really big like a water heater, I'm either getting the handyman or plumber to get it. Anything really big is either the home depot truck rental or you just get the order delivered.

My daily driver is a Piaggio Zip 50 2T - to work, home for lunch, back to work and home again. Not often used for anything else, zero maintenance, maybe I'll change the final drive oil sometime, or perhaps I'll never change it.

My car, which normally puts in less kms than the scooter a week is a '96 Volvo 850 T5 station wagon, good load space and a towbar. Seats fold flat, even the front passenger seat, so you can load to the dash. Also handy when my wife broke her ankle a couple of months ago - needing to keep the ankle elevated, I'd fold the seat down and she would sit in the back and put her leg up on the back of the seat. It's our car for going places, off to a city or beach etc. It does 5,000km a year, my wifes car does over 20,000km.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Now, d00df00d,
riddle me this: Who has the bigger smile, when (ahem) you drive in a (ahem) responsible (ahem) way? You or the baby ?

One thing I can say is that Kiddo seems to have great taste in cars so far. :]

RX-8: Chills out or falls asleep
Mazda5: Fine with company
G35x: Mildly restless unless entertained
C-Class: Little patience unless I drove briskly
Tahoe: Cried inconsolably
Expedition: Ditto

2014 Subaru outback. Base model, 4 cylinder. Only non-utilitarian option was an automatic (CVT) tranny. Shifting a 6 speed MT in a heavy vehicle with a small engine can be quite a bit of work in stop and go traffic. No navigation, no heated seats, no backup camera, etccccc. Back seats are almost always down for hauling something or other.

Moved a ton of stuff crammed into the cargo along with a couple of large heavy suitcases on the roof rack (heavier than recommended by the manufacturer for carry on the roof) from Florida to NY once. Maybe ten bags of mulch one time on a short trip, a kayak carrier on the roof both local and to some far away desitnations. Hauled several loads of furniture to the local recycling center (few will even take free used furniture these days).

That, and my daily driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fenixguy
The most practical car we own is the CR-V. Decent gas mileage, AWD, comfy, roomy, and easy to access. The truck can pull the occasional utility trailer and is even more comfortable than the CR-V. The '01 Civic was bought specifically for travelling long distances for music. Now it and the '00 Civic switch between my go-to-work-and-back dailies. When one dies, I'm not replacing it; we have too many cars the way it is.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Cruze is utilitarian enough for a small car - folding rear seats and a big trunk will fit a bass fiddle.
laugh.gif

I see you're from Kentucky, do you perhaps play bluegrass? Fun fact: I can get a bass fiddle, amp, amp stand, banjo, guitar, mandolin, and fiddle in my short little truck bed with a tonneau cover. Can fit the whole band in the cab but they're not happy for very long. I didn't think it was possible, but we did it. That's pretty utilitarian if you ask me.

Yep, I'm actually "from" Missouri - moved to the Bluegrass state 3 years ago but I've played bluegrass for about 15 years. Mainly guitar, but I fill in on bass when somebody else already has guitar covered.

My M235i; it's comfortable, returns @25 mpg, and has my mandatory DD features: heated seats, decent audio, adequate acceleration, and entertaining handling.
That said, I take the i3 when my wife isn't using it- it keeps the miles off my car and I save a few dollars on gas.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
The Corolla is in most parts of the world, the definition of utilitarian daily driver.

The 05 Matrix would qualify then since it has many of the same parts. At least it's the XR model which adds fog lamps, leather steering wheel and shifter, outside temp display, automatic headlights etc. Which are all things the previous 99 Accord didn't have.

Easy able to carry four new tires in the back with the seats down. Done this twice since tires ordered online.

2003 Subaru Outback wagon 2.5 with 167,000 miles. Was my wife's 90 year old grandmothers. Had 66,000 miles when she very graciously gave it to us. We hauled mulch 20 bags at a time in this thing, 460lbs of yard waste, helped us move etc... fuel Econ for the last 60k is 23.1 which really isn't great but she's heavy (car not wife) and I drive kinda on the faster side. Gets steady diet of pennzoil platinum 5w30. Not my dream car but I can repair it in my garage and I hate car payments. Has the dreaded external headgasket leak with small drops of oil on exhaust but level hardly changed over 4K.

The Focus wagon is my DD, and it's pretty handy with lots of cargo space, roof racks, gets decent mileage, and is kind of fun to drive. It' even does OK at autocross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back