Your thoughts on Christmas music....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bud
I enjoy Bing, Frank, Perry and Andy.

Yep....talented folks. They sort of encapsulate my idea of traditional American Christmas music. But then I listen to them all year....especially good old Sinatra! That guy was sensational.

Two months of insanity.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I should add that I hate all of the strange alterations of classic songs that are terrible. They run out of stuff to play so they play a terrible hacked up version of a classic song.

My grandma who passed away a couple years ago at 89 always had the best taste in Christmas music when we went to her house for Christmas dinner.

Yes, you can't make a new version of a traditional Nat King Cole song, for example, and it not suck...you just don't screw with the original songs...

I love the classic songs, too. It’s so jarring to hear a standard, then the station switches to some modern singer who just cheats with Autotune. I like real improvisation, stuff like Mannheim Steamroller and TSO. Then again, I play guitar and keyboards.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
I love the classic songs, too. It’s so jarring to hear a standard, then the station switches to some modern singer who just cheats with Autotune. I like real improvisation, stuff like Mannheim Steamroller and TSO. Then again, I play guitar and keyboards.

This ^^^

So many newer "artists" think they can just cut a Christmas album and it will be a success. Most just butcher traditional classics and are about as sincere about Christmas as any money making machine can be.

The only time I like Christmas music is when it's a metal version. August Burns Red is one of my favorite bands and I love their Christmas album, Sleddin Hill. These are two of my favorite metal Xmas songs:

Used to go to a coffee shop here where they always seemed to have a "Chaz and Dave Christmas Medely" on the stereo.

Americans, if they are lucky, wont know what that means. Suffice it to say that, being Scottish and not at all a Cockney, but having lived and worked in London for a few years, I really hate Chaz and Dave.

Turned out they were playing it specially for me, because they knew I was British.

I asked them to stop but it was a habit by then, so I avoid that place Nov - Feb. Sad really.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention my favorite Christmas music, anything done by the Transiberian Orchestra! We saw them in Toronto last year and it was basically a metal concert! We're seeing them again on Dec 16th in Buffalo, I can't wait!

Originally Posted By: Patman
I forgot to mention my favorite Christmas music, anything done by the Transiberian Orchestra! We saw them in Toronto last year and it was basically a metal concert! We're seeing them again on Dec 16th in Buffalo, I can't wait!

Yes, they are fantastic!

Don't like 99% of the Christmas stuff they play on the radio or in the mall. My favorite Christmas album is Andrea Bocelli. Andrea Bocelli singing the Lords Prayer with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is incredible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman

We saw them last night! INCREDIBLE show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back