Your thoughts on Christmas music....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed it as a child and teen but now I've grown tired of it. I don't dislike it I just don't want to be flooded with it 24/7 I remember hearing a Christmas song a day after Thanksgiving this year.

I love Christmas and Christmas music. For those people that don't well take a month off and stay home you're not going to shame me out of enjoying my Christmas!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano and the Boston Pops. Knew it was a winner when I first heard it about 1970.

Before I learned Spanish, I thought Jose was singing "Police, la-de-da", and couldn't figure out why people were saying it was a Christmas song!

Lately I like Pentatonix's singing style of most of the traditional Christmas songs. Very refreshing change from the same old renditions that've been around forever.

Im in the same retail boat as some of the others posted about above. Listen to Xmas music for 3 months straight and you will be quite done with it. One year, I even taped two broom sticks together, tabped a bent coat hook on the end of that, then used it to rip the wiring out of the speaker in the Tire and Lube where I worked so I could enjoy some peace and quiet. Worked great!
Im not a big fan of Christmas anyways. I dont know what to get people and so I pretty much do not buy anyone anything. Extremely stressful. Its to the point now they dont get me anything either, so I dont have to worry about it anymore without feeling guilty.

" I dont know what to get people and so I pretty much do not buy anyone anything. Extremely stressful. Its to the point now they dont get me anything either, so I dont have to worry about it anymore without feeling guilty."

Exactly how I am!

I defy anyone to find something worse!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I tolerate it while out shopping, hearing it at malls and department stores, but I don't intentionally seek it out.

This.

I like good Christmas music. I love the traditional (can I say this) religious Christmas songs. I like it phased in. A little more often as it gets closer to Christmas. I'll listen to solid Christmas music starting Christmas Eve.

But I absolutely won't listen to any Christmas music before the day after Thanksgiving Day. In fact there is a local radio station that I removed from the car radio presets because they started playing Christmas music the day after Halloween. The first year I tolerated it, and found alternate stations until it got closer to Christmas. But when they did it the second year, that was it. It is now a banned radio station in my home and cars.

I think a lot of the bad Christmas music has spoiled it for me. Artists that don't seem to really care about Christmas, but only record Christmas music for the almighty dollar. I realize that is also true of some of the older stuff, but at least they did a fantastic job.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I love the old traditional Christmas Hymns. Silent Night, Oh Holy Night, etc... if done tastefully. I don't like them being over-produced and butchered beyond recognition.

I despise however, the same 10 songs that you hear all season long: Jingle Bell Rock, Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, All I Want for Christmas is You, It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Feliz Navidad, etc... I've heard those enough to last me for the rest of my life.

I like Christmas though.

Agree. I like Christmas music after Thanksgiving... but since we can't offend anyone, holiday music ends up being the same ten songs and none of the classic songs actually about Christmas.

The worst is that one about meeting an old lover somewhere and going drinking to toast to whatever it was...

Probably the best Christmas songs made in recent times are the recent Jennifer Nettles rendition of o holy night, and th and bare naked ladies version of we three kings. I could pass on most anything else of the last 30ish years.

The Colonial Williamsburg Madrigal Singers doing classic songs is probably the best single album out there, imo.

I don't like the way it's used. The stores use it to give you a sense of urgency so that you'll shop more. In other words, Christmas music is used for monetary gain and I think that's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back