Your Favorite City

To visit?

Any of the great cities -- London, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Venice, Tokyo, New York, Hong Kong -- in general, the more history and good food, the better, and preferably, some body of water, or an accessible one. But each place has its own charms. While I love cars, some of those places made me realize that designing cities around them was not the best idea.

On the list to see is Barcelona, Budapest, Bruges (I'd probably be more Ken than Ray) Singapore, Sydney, Auckland, New Orleans, and Chicago, to name a few. Still a lot of places I want to see.

Aussie 'car guys' love to come here in our summers and hit car shows. They often come to buy our old cars and arrange a container to ship home. They are very friendly and open people generally. It's the only overseas destination I'd like to do. The 14 hours in the air would be tough.

Aussie 'car guys' love to come here in our summers and hit car shows. They often come to buy our old cars and arrange a container to ship home. They are very friendly and open people generally. It's the only overseas destination I'd like to do. The 14 hours in the air would be tough.
The flight is brutal.
No getting around it;(

If you consider Irvine California a "city". I like it a lot. Honestly it really depends on which part of a city, I'm sure every city has a nice and a not so nice part.

San Francisco, at the suburb in Sunset, can be very nice, especially a few blocks from the Ocean Beach.

Singapore is almost a perfect planned architectural masterpiece, too bad for the heat and the lack of freedom (therefore lack of imperfection).

Not sure what qualifies as a “city”. While I like the aforementioned Portland Maine, having lived near there, and having visited NYC, I know there’s a slight size difference. :) Not only in size but footprint: to escape NYC you go a long ways to escape the ‘burbs. Portland, you drive 15 minutes away from the city limits and you start to feel like the middle of nowhere.

Only been to London, NYC, DC and Boston. Each was nice. DC might have been nicest, for all the free stuff one can do. NYC, nice in its own way, at least the nicer bits of it. Boston is easy to get in and out of I guess, and I often get free tickets to visit the museum of science. :)

I work in the “big” city of Manchester NH and I have to say, the favorite view of it that I have is when I see it in the rearview mirror as I head home. I like small town life. It has its own issues but I’ve always felt at home with the pace of life. Nice to visit the big cities, nice to escape them too. Once you get over 5,000 people or so, it starts feeling a bit crowded, IMO.

Stevensville, Mt. Has great amenities.

Elk, Whitetail and Mule deer, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, and even Moose. Rainbow and Brook trout, too, if you're into that.

Lots of nice motorbike and snowmobile trails, too.

Tell me about
sorry for answering late, my nephew owns 65 acres of maple trees forest. red maples and sugar maples and i help him harvesting maple sap every year during march and april. we are a small producer, but it is a lot of work .

now, senigallia italy. i went there twice. one time in 93 and one time in 95. why i went there? because when i was deployed during the bosnian wars, we had 7 days R&R paid by the united nations. mine took place in august 93 and also august 95. and we stayed at hotel sirena in senigallia. the whole hotel was reserved to military personel of the canadian forces deployed in bosnia. it took about 11 hours by boat from split croatia to ancona italy. and 9 hours by hydrofoil boat. that thing was scary fast. it is a small touristic city on the adriatic coast. the food was very good. i have a soft spot for italy. in 95 the city of senigallia even made a party in a big park along the beach in honor of canadian military personal. they even imported canadian beer. i had a huge pitcher of labatt blue in italy. they even had huge banners with canadian flags. i will never forget the people of italy. i was 20 years old in 93 on my first tour of duty in bosnia. i also fell in love with an italian girl that i met in a shoes store near my hotel. she was same age as me and was working in the store. her mom was the owner. unfortunately the distance ended this relation real quick. i wrote letters for a couple years and that was it. so that is why the small city of senigallia is in my favorite cities. it has great sentimental value to me.

Nice is very nice. Maybe Monaco or Florence. Where is my Baedekers? I can fake French and Italian. Prague is great but too far east for my taste and I don't speak Czech I mean, I can pronounce guláš,Tatra, and Škoda but that's it.

Last edited:
There are many so, in no order and for wildly differing reasons;

London UK, history, so much to see and do
Tokyo Japan, as above plus it has an 'energy' that you have to experience
Portsmouth NH, quaint, historical, good food scene, Boston without the attitude
Kinsale, Ireland, pretty old fishing village, beautiful scenery, some of the best simple seafood I have ever had
Buffalo NY, friendly place for a weekend of dive bar and comfort food hopping, lot's of hidden historical pubs in neat little neighborhoods, great maritime museum...keep your head on a swivel though

Not a favorite but the strangest city I've ever visited.

Took this 'express' train to Marrakech Morocco.

Morrocan-train-e1568645983533.jpg

Here

marrakech.jpg

This threads reminds me that I need to travel more to appreciate the world.
However, I will chip in with my list in no particular order: NYC, San Diego, Florence and Tuscany region, Cinqe Terre, Punta Cana, Seoul, and Cannon Beach (OR). We are heading out to Spain next month so this list will be expanding afterwards.

I tend to idealize most every place I visit that's not here. I haven't travelled a lot, but these are a few places that have really impressed me:

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lots of sun, fairly high, close to the Rockies, and moderate weather compared to here

Walker, Minnesota
Beautiful lake and forest setting, and close to outstanding cycling trails. Archetypal small-town America.

Portland, Maine (and the coastal towns to the N - Bath, Bar Harbor, etc.)
Quaint Maritime beauty, wild blueberries, hilly cycling

Friedrichshafen, Germany
Stunningly beautiful and charming, set on the Bodensee, sunny, with excellent cycling destinations nearby

Dunedin, NZ
It's very Scottish in character, and very hilly. Lots of interesting architecture.

Back