You Tube pauses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still the same:
29779967.png

Rand:

Your results are consistent with mine and QP's. The number of streams seems to really have an impact on the bufferbloat.

Had nothing but problems with the Z800. Three of three needed MB replacements.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Had nothing but problems with the Z800. Three of three needed MB replacements.

Are you refering to the z800 workstation? They are known for their reliability. Used in engineering & film editing. Not a cheap consumer box.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Still the same:
29779967.png

What's your gear?

Arris SB8200 modem
Netgear R6900P router
DLink DGS-108 switch

Tests done on PC via Chrome browser with a Realtek GbE onboard NIC.

Quattro Pete also noted that enabling QoS decreased bufferbloat where I have that option disabled because it's not needed in higher speed connections.

Last edited:
If you completely saturate/max out your available download/upload bandwidth, your bufferbloat will go up. So what I did was reduced max dl/upload speed a bit on the router to leave some breathing room for control traffic and such. For example, if your max is 24 Mbps upload now, set it to about 22 Mbps and see what happens.

Now, if you have a big fat connection to begin with, chances of you saturating it with regular traffic are probably very small, so it may be nothing to worry about. The dslreport test just show what happens when you completely max it out.

www.dslreports.com/faq/17930

Quote:
Bufferbloat Grades

To identify good vs bad bufferbloat the speed test applies grades as follows. ms means milliseconds, and refers to an increase in a measure of round trip delay when your connection is fully utilised.

Less than 5ms (average of down bloat and up bloat) - A+
Less than 30ms - A
Less than 60ms - B
Less than 200ms - C
Less than 400ms - D
400ms+ - F

(there is no "E" grade).

To recap: to get an "A+", ( average(uplift during upload) + average(uplift during download) ) / 2 must be less than 5ms.

Currently the majority of people grade "C" or worse. This is because most equipment and software currently in use has bufferbloat issues.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Still the same:
29779967.png

What's your gear?

Arris SB8200 modem
Netgear R6900P router
DLink DGS-108 switch

Tests done on PC via Chrome browser with a Realtek GbE onboard NIC.

Quattro Pete also noted that enabling QoS decreased bufferbloat where I have that option disabled because it's not needed in higher speed connections.

That's a bit of an over simplification, and one he has since expounded upon in the post above. Bufferbloat becomes less apparent on higher speed links because the ability to achieve saturation is more difficult.

Your link, being not only asymmetrical but significantly so, means that saturating your upstream side is quite easy to do. Though I assume you don't pass a lot of upstream traffic in typical use unless you serve up torrents without a bandwidth restriction setting.

Did you note my mention of different results with different browsers? I thought it interesting the difference between IE and Chrome.

FYI, in my case, I am not seeing much (if any) difference between Chrome and IE, possibly because my speeds aren't high enough. This is from IE. The previously posted one was from Chrome.

29800403.png

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
FYI, in my case, I am not seeing much (if any) difference between Chrome and IE, possibly because my speeds aren't high enough. This is from IE. The previously posted one was from Chrome.

29800403.png

Likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back