You know you are a BITOG'er if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
You know you are a BITOG'er if....

you look under a brand new vehicle in the showroom to determine how easy it is to change the oil...BEFORE you consider purchasing it. Even if it is a high end Mercedes, BMW or Lexus.

Oh! That's me!

you look under a brand new vehicle in the showroom to determine how easy it is to change the oil...BEFORE you consider purchasing it. Even if it is a high end Mercedes, BMW or Lexus.
This one is funny because it's true.

The Mistubishi dealer near me has a Raider up on one of those ramps that allows the vehicle to look like it's ready to be launched into the air. One Sunday (car dealers are closed by law on Sunday in IL) I stopped to look and see if I could spot the oil filter on the 3.7L engine and to compare it to the 3.9L engine on my Dakota.

Even funnier, a salesman happened to be driving by and stopped to give me his card because anyone showing that much interest in the vehicle just had to be ready to buy, right?
lol.gif

I'm also guilty of:

...you can't wait to change your oil again

and

when you go to Wallyworld, Kmart or whatever, you go directly to the oil aisle. On occasion,you may check out the filter section first. The poster left out "you also make sure to cruise the endcaps at the back of the auto section to see if you can snag any good oil or filter clearance deals"

And my addition to this thread:

You can't pass up an oil/filter rebate even though you have enough filters to cover changes for the next 5 years and enough oil to give OPEC a run for its money.

Me personally, I'm waiting for a couple right now.....

If... you buy a new air compressor, download the owner's manual off the HF website even though you have the new paper manual. You're disappointed to see the paper manual has no oil instructions other than type(non-det sae30/iso100 compressor oil)and level(fill to middle of red dot in center/glass).

BUT: then you discover the downloaded manual is a later revision, with break-in and oil change instructions enough to gladden any BITOGers heart! A specific break in cycle for 30 minutes(valve open, so it runs wide open with no/little load, I suppose), change 1st oil fill after 1 full hr of operation to remove debris! Change oil every 100 hrs/6 months thereafter! Life is Good! You are thrilled!
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

If you find new places to use synthetic oil, your are a BITOG-er.

I have a hydraulic jack filled with RP synthetic PSF. It actually makes that jack much easier to use.

You look for EVERY opportuninty to take a trip with, or drive your car, because it will get you that much closer to an oil change.

I took a trip with my car, and along this trip, stopped for gas, before bedding for the night at a hotel.. When I got stopped at the pump I pulled the hood release and proceeded to begin putting gas in the car. While it was pumping I checked the oil, and found it on the low mark. I opened my trunk, acquired a quart of oil and brought it up to full. When I shut the hood, I realized the other patrons of the gas station were looking at me like I was from the moon. (If youve seen my picture, it was concealed, so that was not it.)
It must be strange to see someone want to make sure their engine does not blow up in the middle of the Nevada Desert. So I guess it must just be us BITOG'ers. :p

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Oh! That's me!

And then you think about what filters you have in your stash that you could use!

John

...you look under a brand new vehicle in the showroom to determine how easy it is to change the oil...BEFORE you consider purchasing it...
Obtain the factory service manual and study it in detail before considering purchasing the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back