Yellowstone Park vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to go off season. It is pretty crazy with all of the tourists, especially in August. May and September are the best months. The drive is pretty long - 1+ hr until you get to the park from Jackson hole, and 1:45 to the HQ. Bison can be very aggressive , especially with calves, and you want to keep your distance. Bear spray is a good idea if you hike/camp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch

Brag-alert here: I drove from Ohio out west in August 2018, and managed to hit the Badlands NP/Glacier/Tetons/Yellowstone/Jackson Hole all on the same trip.
Glacier is the MOST beautiful place I've ever seen.

In the ~30 US National Parks I've been too, I will agree that Glacier NP is by far my favorite. Banff/Jasper/Kootenay follow very closely in rankings but I've only been up there twice so I haven't been able to do much hiking up there. If you like Glacier, you'll love North Cascades National Park too.

If you want to stay in the park, you will find most of the places are already filled. But if you check every day, you will find openings. The lodges give full refunds for cancellations so people book multiple reservations early, then cancel as they get closer to their travel date. So rooms open randomly. Stay at Old Faithful Inn if you can get a room. It's worth it! And I agree completely with everything people say about Glacier. It's fabulous. However, the road to Many Glacier is getting worked over this summer, so it may be hard to get in and out of there.

Originally Posted by dwgwater
However, the road to Many Glacier is getting worked over this summer, so it may be hard to get in and out of there.

OMFG! That road was the worst road I've ever driven on; words can't even describe how bad it was. It's the only road that I felt like my struts were going to blow. The first ~3 miles from Starr School Road to Hwy 89 that leads to St. Mary's was also under construction this year too (no tarmac right now, completely dirt/gravel with big potholes and make-your-own-lanes type deal.) I don't know how long that's going to go for.

I wouldn't recommend anybody go to Yellowstone in the summer months if it can be avoided.

Late September (if the weather cooperates) is the time to go.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by ls1mike
I have been. We stayed in the park with our trailer at Grant Village Campground.
Beautiful park, but I really liked the Grand Tetons better.

Do they allow tent camping there? Any good spots in/around the park for tent camping??

People tent camp. I think they have boxes were you can lock your food up or you can bring them in.

I know I saw them when I was there. It was over 10 years ago now.

I have been. We stayed in the park with our trailer at Grant Village Campground.

Do they allow tent camping there? Any good spots in/around the park for tent camping??

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Originally Posted by Pew

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Ty Sir..ðŸ‘

It's so packed . Crazy packed. It could take 4 hours to go 20 miles. It's like a parking lot, 5 or 10 mph. Single track roads, no way to pass the people. Gas was limited if I remember right. Always stop and fill your car up every gas station you see. Try not to let the gas tank get under half a tank. You can burn half a tank or 3/4 just in a days drive to the other side of the park , without seeing a gas station.

The scenery driving into the park was incredible. It made me want to get a summer home in that part of the world when I retire.

I went there in mid 9/18 on a 10 day road trip. Follow the great advice above, but I'd say September is still pretty busy. One of the popular spots had cars lined up outside the parking area on the side of the road waiting for spaces to become free. Nope...kept on driving. Slowly. Seemed like people were slowing down for trees...which, of course, are everywhere. Be prepared for inclimate weather. I got pelted with mini snow balls at Old Faithful.
Glacier NP. If not this trip, make it so on another. Well worth it. I'd like to do that whole trip over again!

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
I went there in mid 9/18 on a 10 day road trip. Follow the great advice above, but I'd say September is still pretty busy. One of the popular spots had cars lined up outside the parking area on the side of the road waiting for spaces to become free. Nope...kept on driving. Slowly. Seemed like people were slowing down for trees...which, of course, are everywhere. Be prepared for inclimate weather. I got pelted with mini snow balls at Old Faithful.
Glacier NP. If not this trip, make it so on another. Well worth it. I'd like to do that whole trip over again!

September IS BUSY.....but not as busy as the previous 3 0r 4 months.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Just wondered if anyone took their dogs on a trip like this I've got two 50 lb collies

You can, but it's extremely restrictive and would be best to leave them with a trusted sitter:

Originally Posted by National Park System

Bringing a pet to Yellowstone may limit your activities in the park. Protect your pet and park wildlife by observing these regulations:

Pets may only accompany people in developed areas and must remain within 100 feet (30.5 meters) of roads, parking areas, and campgrounds.
Pets must be physically controlled at all times: they must be in a car, in a crate, or on a leash no more than six feet long.
Pets are not allowed on boardwalks, hiking trails, in the backcountry, or in thermal areas.
Pets may not be left unattended or tied to an object.
Pets may not be left in a situation where food, water, shade, ventilation, and other basic needs are inadequate. Pets may remain in vehicles for short periods of time, but we recommend that someone stay behind to personally ensure their well being.
Owners must bag and dispose of pet waste.
There are NO EXCEPTIONS to the regulations for carried pets (in arms, carriers, strollers, backpacks, and so forth) in restricted parts of the park.

Last edited:
Start making reservations now, whether you plan to camp or stay in the lodges. If you can afford it, the trip will be a lot more fun if you can stay inside the park. Otherwise, a good portion of the day will be spent traveling to and from the park. Speed limits on the main park roads are 45 or slower. Staying in West Yellowstone or Gardiner might not be too bad for accessing the west and north sides. I've stayed at Canyon Village, West Thumb, and Mammoth. Canyon is a fairly central location if you want to stay in one place the whole time.

Yellowstone is busy in the summer--but it's still a great place to visit. There's a good chance of getting snowed on, and briefly snowed in, during June and September. In four trips, the only thing I haven't been able to see is Grand Prismatic Spring. Parking lots were always full, and I wasn't going to park beside the highway and walk along the road. I just learned about the hike to an overlook that somebody mentioned earlier, so I'll do that next time.

You can get a completely different experience away from the highways and the developed areas. I have taken several hikes without seeing more than two or three other people, and sometimes none.

I would also recommend spending some time in Grand Teton while you're there, especially if you like to hike. I always leave wishing I had planned at least another day in the Tetons. Signal Mountain Lodge is a nice spot to stay there, and I think a bit less expensive than Jackson Lake.

Did the whole Yellowstone - Glacier trip in years ago. Living in Wyoming, we did trips like that often....pretty much every time relatives came to visit. Beautiful, breathtaking views, for sure.

Last trip was in a motor home, up through Glacier, Banff, over to Vancouver, Victoria, and down the pacific coast. I wouldn't advise it in a motor home. Ours struggled on a lot of the grades in Glacier. But I guess if you're on vacation, you have no schedule, but be prepared for 20mph ascents with a screaming engine and hot brakes, even with downshifting, making no real time. I'd much prefer to do it in a Suburban, or something with a more favorable power to weight ratio.

You see that my map ends in Gold Beach, OR where the rear axle on the motor home gave up. ;-) After 4 days behind an Exxon station, we took a direct route home. By then, I'd had all the vacation I could stand.

Vaca.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back