WS that is best for HPDE or track days

Hi all, I am wondering if any particular WS acceptable product is more applicable and will offer a larger safety margin for a hot, heavy HPDE track day as the weather warms up.

Open to suggestions.

Since you posted this in the ATF/trans/brakes/PS section, I'm assuming you're talking about Toyota WS type ATF :unsure:

In that case, any full synthetic LV ATF will work great for it. Aisin/Toyota transmissions usually aren't picky.

Any LV synthetic that's changed frequently will be good. Pick whatever is on sale and change it annually. Toyota makes it easy with a drain plug :)

If you're willing to spend the money, there's Redline D6, but you don't have to spend that much to get a quality ATF.

Hi all, I am wondering if any particular WS acceptable product is more applicable and will offer a larger safety margin for a hot, heavy HPDE track day as the weather warms up.

Open to suggestions.
You posted that you are an Amsoil dealer. Use ATL, get the price and the points. Great fluid. Kind of a no brainer, really.

OP=Gone....

Quite a few new posters lately, who never come back. I tried to make sense of the first post, but despite being a life-long race car guy, and general motorhead, I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

OP=Gone....

Quite a few new posters lately, who never come back. I tried to make sense of the first post, but despite being a life-long race car guy, and general motorhead, I have no idea what the OP is talking about.
Sorry to disappoint you but, I came back. :LOL:

Since you posted this in the ATF/trans/brakes/PS section, I'm assuming you're talking about Toyota WS type ATF :unsure:

In that case, any full synthetic LV ATF will work great for it. Aisin/Toyota transmissions usually aren't picky.

Any LV synthetic that's changed frequently will be good. Pick whatever is on sale and change it annually. Toyota makes it easy with a drain plug :)

If you're willing to spend the money, there's Redline D6, but you don't have to spend that much to get a quality ATF.
That's just the thing, I see on these very pages that ones that are alleged to be full synthetic (Idemitsu) do not themselves say they are synthetic. Others that you would think have a good shot at being synthetic (Toyota branded WS) are known not to be.

Amsoil is great, but costly. Looking for quality synthetic alternatives as I've seen them simply let a machine keep chugging along happily where inferior/subpar products caused mayhem. Mayhem = breakdown and $$. Trying to find the right point of quality and value (I don't have Penske Racing's budget)

That's just the thing, I see on these very pages that ones that are alleged to be full synthetic (Idemitsu) do not themselves say they are synthetic. Others that you would think have a good shot at being synthetic (Toyota branded WS) are known not to be.

Amsoil is great, but costly. Looking for quality synthetic alternatives as I've seen them simply let a machine keep chugging along happily where inferior/subpar products caused mayhem. Mayhem = breakdown and $$. Trying to find the right point of quality and value (I don't have Penske Racing's budget)
As Pablo said if you really are an Amsoil dealer you can get the ATL which is a quality ATF you can purchase with your dealer discount. .

Other quality ATF's in the LV classification are Redline D6 and HPL GreenCC.

If I were tracking I would use the best synthetic ATF's I could find in order to avoid Mayhem.

Last edited:
More importantly, is your transmission fluid cooler up to the task? What track? How long sessions?
Cooler is just fine and the car survived 7 20 minute sessions in near 100° heat. That was at Buttonwillow in Central Valley CA.

Cooler is just fine and the car survived 7 20 minute sessions in near 100° heat. That was at Buttonwillow in Central Valley CA.
As long as you stay at that altitude, and cooling is fine, any suggested fluid is OK. Amsoil, Redline, HPL, Motul, Ravenol…
Since you track, I guess I do more frequent fluid changes. Try several and see which one feels best to you.

It sounds like there’s not a whole lot of experience taking WS fluid to the extreme on track with which to draw from. I suppose most of the cars with Aisin transmissions are not track focused, ever.

I saw 265° tranny temp on my dash at one point. At Buttonwillow which makes me wonder whether the flash point level of Idemitsu should be a concern as it’s certainly lower than Aisin’s own or Amsoil fluid.

The OEM GM AW-1 fluid seems to have held up just fine. Wonder who actually makes their stuff and the specs on it. Then at least I could rely on data to go for equivalent or better fluid.

Looking for data on these but there sure doesn’t seem to be much, in difference to Dexron/Mercon stuff.

It sounds like there’s not a whole lot of experience taking WS fluid to the extreme on track with which to draw from. I suppose most of the cars with Aisin transmissions are not track focused, ever.

I saw 265° tranny temp on my dash at one point. At Buttonwillow which makes me wonder whether the flash point level of Idemitsu should be a concern as it’s certainly lower than Aisin’s own or Amsoil fluid.

The OEM GM AW-1 fluid seems to have held up just fine. Wonder who actually makes their stuff and the specs on it. Then at least I could rely on data to go for equivalent or better fluid.

Looking for data on these but there sure doesn’t seem to be much, in difference to Dexron/Mercon stuff.
I had my DSG up above 270 before.

What data are you looking for? There have been a number of Dexron flavors through the years.

Most data is to be found in a detailed PDS under "Oil Properties."

And yes, there are differences.

Note: This fluid (GM AW-1, 19256039) fluid is not approved for use where DEXRON-VI automatic transmission fluid is recommended.

I think the HPL GreenCC would be a better choice of ATF:

Last edited:
What I was really looking for was the data indicating which WS fluids are fully synthetic and from there, which would be the most suitable for severe HPDE duty, then to go down that list until I find one that lands at a price point I am comfortable with.

i do not see/have not seen a list of which are synthetic. I as answer AW-1 is not Dexron approved. My comment was made to demonstrate the lack of info and experiences with WS fluids compared to Dexron.

I suppose the one item that concerned me most in data points was the Flash Point. Idemitsu fluid (TSL LV) is allegedly synthetic according to many but no literature from the manufacture indicates this. Does anyone know where that info can be found? They do list their flash point far lower than Alison’s own fluid…. Should this be a concern?

What I was really looking for was the data indicating which WS fluids are fully synthetic and from there, which would be the most suitable for severe HPDE duty, then to go down that list until I find one that lands at a price point I am comfortable with.

i do not see/have not seen a list of which are synthetic. I as answer AW-1 is not Dexron approved. My comment was made to demonstrate the lack of info and experiences with WS fluids compared to Dexron.

I suppose the one item that concerned me most in data points was the Flash Point. Idemitsu fluid (TSL LV) is allegedly synthetic according to many but no literature from the manufacture indicates this. Does anyone know where that info can be found? They do list their flash point far lower than Alison’s own fluid…. Should this be a concern?
Full synthetic? Probably best bet are: Redline Amsoil, HPL, Ravenol. I would bet on these brands being full synthetic before Idemitsu.

Back