Wow. I thought these rusted away.

From memory most of the Vegas I was familiar with were in horrible shape.
Look at my dad's blue one, rust is starting around the windshield molding and it's only five years old.

OPs pic shows an awful misalignment between the hood and fiberglass front clip.

Fun Fact that you may not know. John Delorean was given the Vega project to see through to fruition. It was one of the last projects he worked on before leaving GM.

My dad had a 74 green Vega GT with a small block stuffed in it. That thing had cherry bombs and sat about 1 inch off the ground. I remember he had a hard time keeping it cool and called it 'dangerous fast'. He sold it after it blew a head gasket. He had to avoid a town here near Chattanooga...Red Bank...they kept pulling him over for being 'too loud.'

Here is a snapshot...

View attachment 168663
A few years ago I saw a mint Chevy Beretta! Looked like it was shrink wrapped then put in a climate controlled garage. I thought all of those had been scrapped.

I had a few Vegas. First one was a 71, same blue as the one in the pic (that's a 72). Next was a 76, in firethorn red, same color as the one pictured. After those, a Kammback wagon that I dropped a 231 V6 into, and last a 74 that got a hot small block.
I once went to check out, and maybe buy, an unfinished project Vega from some guy. He had dropped in a 454 and got it running with the stock rear just to move the car around. I met the guy at a shopping center, looked the car over and decided not to buy it. Anyway the guy starts the car to leave, puts it in gear, and blows the rear end. I thought the idle sounded a bit high. :LOL:

As a kid, I always though Vegas looked like mini Camaros...
Me too and then you just reminded me of one of my thoughts....
Look at the 68-69 Ford Mustangs and then look at the some of the hottest NASCAR or Drag cars back then, from FoMoCo...
The Ford Torinos or Mercury Cyclones from those same years.
To me if you put them side by side the Torinos and the Cyclones actually look like large version Mustangs. The bodies are almost identical only sized different.

IMHO the kind of rare Cosworth Vegas were some of the finest versions of the Vega GM ever attempted. There are still quite a few around. When GM announced them there was originally a lot of excitement about them being a partnership between GM and the British manufactureres except that when they rolled off the assembly line they came with choked down , low horsepower power plants that were nothing to live up to the original hype. They are still to me the neatest examples of factory Vegas with the black/gold paint scheme and the (even weak-2.0) fuel injection engines. A nice , unusual car for a collector who is not looking to race but to simply own and enjoy. As seen below , apparently there are a lot of them that survive still to this day.

R (3).jpg

Back