Would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 02SE
I did a lot rougher, for a lot less money. Too many people are just soft, and feel entitled.

I don't know if it's that, really, so much as the desire to be mentally and physically healthy. I can't wait to quite my job once I can afford to, for example. Can I do it? Yes. Am I good at it? Yes. Could I do it until I got old enough to retire? Probably. But do I really want the continued assault on my health and wellbeing? I'll pass, thanks.

Also, consider what is "rough". How do you define it? Is it physical labor? Is it mental stress? Is it anxiety/PTSD/Depression/Suicide? What makes a profession/job "rough" and how do you quantify that?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Pay sounds about right, Im surprised the story says SOME managers and not all.
After all, an entry level high school student can make a min of $31,200 at McDonalds or Amazon

I doubt the average McDonalds franchise is paying the girl at the drive thru window or the pimple faced boy on the grill $15 an hour. 15X40X52 is $31200.00

Unfortunately it will take $62,400 to rent an apartment.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I did a lot rougher, for a lot less money. Too many people are just soft, and feel entitled.

I don't know if it's that, really, so much as the desire to be mentally and physically healthy. I can't wait to quite my job once I can afford to, for example. Can I do it? Yes. Am I good at it? Yes. Could I do it until I got old enough to retire? Probably. But do I really want the continued assault on my health and wellbeing? I'll pass, thanks.

Also, consider what is "rough". How do you define it? Is it physical labor? Is it mental stress? Is it anxiety/PTSD/Depression/Suicide? What makes a profession/job "rough" and how do you quantify that?

Well for example when I started my own business by putting my lifesavings on the line with only an idea and the willingness to give it everything I had to hopefully succeed. It was more physically demanding, mentally demanding, anxiety inducing, far more time consuming, and it paid less. Until eventually the hard work, time, and stress paid off. Though in the beginning and for several years, there was no guarantee it would ever pay off. The business I built and made successful, became desirable enough that eventually an offer too good to pass up came along, and I sold the business and retired in my early 30s.

Since then I just pursue my hobbies.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Well for example when I started my o8wn business by putting my lifesavings on the line with only an idea and the willingness to give it everything I had to hopefully succeed. It was more physically demanding, mentally demanding, anxiety inducing, far more time consuming, and it paid less. Until eventually the hard work, time, and stress paid off. Though in the beginning and for several years, there was no guarantee it would ever pay off. The business I built and made successful, became desirable enough that eventually an offer too good to pass up came along, and I sold the business and retired in my early 30s.

Big difference investing all that blood, sweat and tears into yourself/your own business versus into someone else's endeavor, where you more than likely have no prospects of anything beyond next week's pay. Look, I'm not saying a $100g's is chump change - it's not. As the OP of this thread, I'm just saying running a fast food joint is haaaard work and anyone who thinks they're not gonna have to "earn" that $100k just because it's a "fast food" joint is fooling themselves. But like i said, for the right person it could be an incredible opportunity to make some really good money. (depending i guess where ya live..a $100k in Seattle or Portland, my area, isn't exactly living high on the hog)

And fwiw, i admire you for having started and grown a successful business, that's no small feat. (I know because i did it once and it didn't work out for me)

Originally Posted by Ws6

Well for example when I started my own business by putting my lifesavings on the line with only an idea and the willingness to give it everything I had to hopefully succeed. It was more physically demanding, mentally demanding, anxiety inducing, far more time consuming, and it paid less. Until eventually the hard work, time, and stress paid off. Though in the beginning and for several years, there was no guarantee it would ever pay off. The business I built and made successful, became desirable enough that eventually an offer too good to pass up came along, and I sold the business and retired in my early 30s.

Excellent! Kudos to you. What I mean though, is that "rough" is hard to define, and to each person differs, I'd wager.

Many of us work jobs where its alcohol, the gym, overeating, or whatever just to cope with the mess we deal with,
and then dealing with the PTSD that is just inevitable.

I know many people who are incapable of doing what I do, and I know people who do things I am incapable of. "Rough" just has so many different definitions. You define it as "investing significant life work into a project without guarantee of return." For example. I define "rough job" more clinically: PTSD rate, suicide rate, turnover rate, likelihood of being assaulted, etc.

When people ask you what do you do..... why do you say ‘Customer Service' ?

You mentioned PTSD 20 times in the the past.....

Good that you're making crazy $$$$ for your PTSD.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Because customer service is what I do.

100k-ish is far from "crazy money". Once I am in a financial position to do so, I'm going to gladly take a significant pay cut to segue into a desk job.

As someone who works in a field where I have seen multiple co workers attempt suicide, as well as recognizing the issues it causes me, I have put forth some study on PTSD, suicide, depression, and its prevalence within my field. The data was staggering. It also explains a lot of why I think and feel how I do. Awareness is a big part of keeping yourself from having even worse issues.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Excellent! Kudos to you. What I mean though, is that "rough" is hard to define, and to each person differs, I'd wager.

Many of us work jobs where its alcohol, the gym, overeating, or whatever just to cope with the mess we deal with,

I know many people who are incapable of doing what I do, and I know people who do things I am incapable of. "Rough" just has so many different definitions. You define it as "investing significant life work into a project without guarantee of return." For example. I define "rough job" more clinically: PTSD rate, suicide rate, turnover rate, likelihood of being assaulted, etc.

I just gave my own experience. I worked for others for years, before I'd had enough of my original career, and my unethical bosses, and decided to try going my own path. It would have been much easier to just continue working for others. Of course the gamble of going my own way eventually turned out much better.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I just gave my own experience. I worked for others for years, before I'd had enough of my original career, and my unethical bosses, and decided to try going my own path. It would have been much easier to just continue working for others. Of course the gamble of going my own way eventually turned out much better.

I agree your path sounds awesome. Realistically speaking, you are both smart, and lucky. I have zero faith in luck, and am unsure if I am smart/savvy enough to pull it off, or not, so instead I just work for a company until I can afford to cut to very minimal hours, or to segue into a desk job or something simple. Also, I note you drive a $100K vehicle, and presume the rest of your life is in line with that. I personally don't need that to be happy (would like, yes, but don't feel a "loss" of not having), so that provides less impetus on me. I feel like everyone needs to figure out what level they "need to be at" to be happy, and then make that much money. For me, it's less than X6M money, for others, it may be MORE than X6M money. I feel like that is another issue. Many people have jobs that do not allow them the financial reward that they require to feel pleased about that aspect of life. This leads to its own bitterness and jealousy issues. Also dunning-kruger ("He's stupid, I coulda done that! I deserve a such and such more than that idiot.")

A friend of mine had to get off of Facebook solely because they kept seeing things that truly upset them for not having the money to procure those things. Dissatisfaction with ones life due to wages vs. what I call "procurement desire" is a thing for many.

I found this thread interesting, as it illustrates that lots of people would turn down a good paying job, because it might not be glamorous, and they might actually have to work...

I've been doing something that I consider a hobby for years now (I haven't decided if I'll continue this year). Eventually that hobby turned into consulting, and in that capacity I've overseen employees of my client. I have a say in whether an employee will work out for my client or not.

It is amazing to me just how many people are unwilling to work.

They certainly want to be paid, but actually working to earn the money seems to increasingly be a forgotten concept. I'd say they've been brought up on participation trophies. It doesn't matter if they try to excel, because everyone gets the same outcome regardless of effort expended. Or at least that's what they were taught. They seem shocked that real life doesn't work that way.

Someone wants a 100k car, or several? It's going to take some real effort.

I found this thread interesting, as it illustrates that lots of people would turn down a good paying job, because it might not be glamorous, and they might actually have to work...

I've been doing something that I consider a hobby for years now (I haven't decided if I'll continue this year). Eventually that hobby turned into consulting, and in that capacity I've overseen employees of my client. I have a say in whether an employee will work out for my client or not.

They certainly want to be paid, but actually working to earn the money seems to increasingly be a forgotten concept. I'd say they've been brought up on participation trophies. It doesn't matter if they try to excel, because everyone gets the same outcome regardless of effort expended. Or at least that's what they were taught. They seem shocked that real life doesn't work that way.

All this pontificating from a post about Taco Bell? ...‚

Boy, you are full of yourself aren't you?

Nope. I'm not surprised at the class-envy'ish reply though.

How dare anyone suggest that any amount of success might require some effort...

Last edited:

No, it's not class envy.. it's your pompous attitude and assumptions. You know nothing about me yet you sayi have "class envy"?.. So tell me, what is my next worth oh wise one? ...‚..in fact you know nothing about anyone else in this thread, as far as I know, yet your inference is that they're lazy for having said that they wouldn't work at a Taco Bell (for a number of reasons i might add)..but apparently you're the great and powerful Oz and in your infinite wisdom are going to define the participants of this thread based on the few written words they used. ...‚

Like I said, really full of yourself...

Last edited:

Interesting that you think it's because "you might have to work..." that you think people would turn down the GM job.

You yourself risked everything, per you, to get away from abusive employer/employee/customer relationship...did you not? So what do you have against people who simple would avoid it in the first place?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

No, it's not class envy.. it's your pompous attitude and assumptions. You know nothing about me yet you sayi have "class envy"?.. So tell me, what is my next worth oh wise one? ...‚..in fact you know nothing about anyone else in this thread, as far as I know, yet your inference is that they're lazy for having said that they wouldn't work at a Taco Bell (for a number of reasons i might add)..but apparently you're the great and powerful Oz and in your infinite wisdom are going to define the participants of this thread based on the few written words they used. ...‚

Like I said, really full of yourself...

You're the one that jumped to personal attacks. But then It's not your first time doing that, is it.

I think you are the one making assumptions. I simply related my personal experience. Notice that I didn't say everyone thinks they're too good to work, I've just been encountering an increasing number of these people. That's not assumption. That's simply a fact. My business owner friends who are constantly hiring, say the same thing.

A fact that you apparently can't handle.

Your "next worth"? I WILL make an assumption and assume you mean your 'Net Worth'. Seriously? you don't think that statement is more than a little embarrassing and reeks of someone suffering from class-envy? Are we back on the playground now comparing the size of our... baseball card collection...

Sorry, I don't suffer from class-envy, and therefore I truly couldn't care less what your "next worth" is.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Interesting that you think it's because "you might have to work..." that you think people would turn down the GM job.

You yourself risked everything, per you, to get away from abusive employer/employee/customer relationship...did you not? So what do you have against people who simple would avoid it in the first place?

I made an observation based on my personal experience. I've encountered lots of people that can't be bothered to work, but then are surprised and get mad because they can't keep a job. It is what it is.

The only thing I have against people, is when some people think the world owes them a living, but then they can't be bothered to even show up to work. Or they show up, but never take their obligation seriously. Obviously that's not everyone, I've simply noticed a disturbingly high number of people that seem to think that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

I made an observation based on my personal experience. I've encountered lots of people that can't be bothered to work, but then are surprised and get mad because they can't keep a job. It is what it is.

The only thing I have against people, is when some people think the world owes them a living, but then they can't be bothered to even show up to work. Or they show up, but never take their obligation seriously. Obviously that's not everyone, I've simply noticed a disturbingly high number of people that seem to think that way.

I have no argument to the contrary, only that I'd add that I wish I only had just that one thing against people.

Originally Posted by Ws6

100k-ish is far from "crazy money". Once I am in a financial position to do so, I'm going to gladly take a significant pay cut to segue into a desk job.

As someone who works in a field where I have seen multiple co workers attempt suicide, as well as recognizing the issues it causes me, I have put forth some study on PTSD, suicide, depression, and its prevalence within my field. The data was staggering. It also explains a lot of why I think and feel how I do. Awareness is a big part of keeping yourself from having even worse issues.

I too would be depressed if I had to clean up bloody crime scenes after the TV news reporters and Police left.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I too would be depressed if I had to clean up bloody crime scenes after the TV news reporters and Police left.

You're fishing, lol! Honestly though, I find the thought of that peaceful. Kindof a finality to it, really. Just you and what needs doing. Getting it done in your way, at your pace, peacefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back