Would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean they'll get my order right?🤔

When I was 19 I became an asst. mgr of a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken back then). I actually made pretty good money at the time for an 18yr old but the hours were horrendous. I had to "close" every other night, which meant not leaving until past 11pm to do all the paperwork and taking a bag full of cash to the bank night drop - not fun. I often got called in to work for the 16yr olds that "no showed" - often that meant doing a double and because I was "mgmt" there's no OT pay.. you're basically married to your job, no thanks. I lasted 1yr then decided I was going to go to college, but it was good work experience though. (learned some basic acctg and mgmt skills)

Taco Bell Article
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Get it right ? Doubt it. Sometimes I drive through pickup at Pizza Hut … but my daughter placed the order from her iPhone … much better luck that way …

Would you do it?
At my current age and point in life, no, but at 19, sure.

I worked my butt off going to college full time and working full time for $6/hour.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Get it right ? Doubt it. Sometimes I drive through pickup at Pizza Hut … but my daughter placed the order from her iPhone … much better luck that way …

I don't mind paying more if the quality and service is worth it and let's be clear, paying more is what you'll be doing in order for TB's parent company to pay higher salaries. If ya want $15/he, get my order right.. it's not rocket science!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Would you do it?
At my current age and point in life, no, but at 19, sure.

I worked my butt off going to college full time and working full time for $6/hour.

Ditto..I worked and went to school (both college and HS) at the same time. In fact I started working in HS to help out around the house, we were pretty poor growing up. Back then you had to get a "working permit" from the school... don't know if it's still that way today.

Last edited:
Pay sounds about right, Im surprised the story says SOME managers and not all.
After all, an entry level high school student can make a min of $31,200 at McDonalds or Amazon

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Pay sounds about right, Im surprised the story says SOME managers and not all.
After all, an entry level high school student can make a min of $31,200 at McDonalds or Amazon

I doubt the average McDonalds franchise is paying the girl at the drive thru window or the pimple faced boy on the grill $15 an hour. 15X40X52 is $31200.00

Off topic a bit, but related. Costco seems to be attempting to take care of their employees if anyone is looking for a decent job with limited education or other circumstance. My son burned out on a brutal executive chef career and went to work at Costco three years ago. Hourly employees can move up to about $27/hour. First tier management does not pay much more and yes, you probably will be putting in more hours salaried. They have an good health benefit package and I believe a 401K plan.

No way. If I could work there all by myself without having to work with the co-workers, maybe.....
We have a local Taco Bell that is the absolute worst. There's completely new help every time I go there, which isn't too often. My son lives an hour away and when he's home and goes there he comments how bad it is.
The last time I was there, about three months ago, this is how it went:
I go in a couple of minutes before noon and give them my order, an order that I tell them will be a to-stay order. There were three employees working there, plus the manager. The drive-through was busy, but I was the only one inside the store. (Hey, small town, plus this TC has a very bad reputation locally) I get my drink, sit down and wait for my food while I'm reading the news on my phone. After about 10 minutes, the store manager walks out the door and says to the employees that she will be back later. The three employees keep handling the drive-through orders. After about another ten minutes the drive-through orders are done and all three employees go outside to smoke a cigarette. I am in the store by myself and I still haven't gotten my food. I walk up to the counter and wait. A few seconds later one of the employees sees me at the counter and comes back inside. He asks if he can help me. I told him that I had never received my taco. He then stretches his neck and looks at where I was sitting, expecting to see some food wrappers or a food tray. His exact words out of his mouth was "No I answered him with "Yea, no
By this time the two other employees came into place wondering what was going on and the first guy told them that I hadn't received my food. The two other guys did the customary rubbernecking at where I was sitting, also expecting to see empty food wrappers. One guys mutters something about they were going to get right on it.
A few minutes later I had my food handed to me in a bag and the guys said "We assume you now want your food to go....."
I walked out of there about 30 minutes after I entered with the bag in my hand, not even getting as much as an "Sorry for the wait."
Seriously, I could not manage the local Taco Bell employees for $100,000 a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
First tier management does not pay much more and yes, you probably will be putting in more hours salaried. They have an good health benefit package and I believe a 401K plan.
My friend is a manager at LensCrafters. He regularly works extra hours but gets benefits, that's how you get benes without being a skilled employee. It sucks if you are single, but not horrible if you have a family that uses the benefits. That's the reality of what it takes to get a private sector 9-5 with benefits in 2020.

The 100k managers will only exist in the Bay Area, NY, PNW etc. Anywhere where the cost of living is too high to be offset by housing subsidies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kruse
... A few minutes later I had my food handed to me in a bag and the guys said "We assume you now want your food to go....."
I walked out of there about 30 minutes after I entered with the bag in my hand, not even getting as much as an "Sorry for the wait."

Sounds just like the one closest to me. The drive through is always backed up, and the store is never busy, but if you order inside be prepared to watch one or two workers doing all the work while the rest stand in a corner playing with their phones.

Please convey your thoughts without profanity.

Everyone here possess the vocabulary to make their point without profanity.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I used to love Tacl Bell. Pretty bad now. I haven't been to one in almost 2 years.

Yeah, honestly I get better tacos at Dairy Queen if wanting something quick that's not a burger

Originally Posted by M56959
Please convey your thoughts without profanity.

Everyone here possess the vocabulary to make their point without profanity.

I must hear that word (that shall go unnamed) at least a dozen times being used by the pastor at church on Sundays in his sermons. It's literally used hundreds of times in the Bible. And fwiw, it has multiple meanings that have nothing to do with profanity.

But your broader point is taken.. your site, your rules....

Last edited:
I don't often get fast food, but that wasn't always the case. When I was single and working the back-shift, the local Taco Bell was one of two open fast-food places that late, and I could/can not stand McDonald's. I got the same thing every single time: Steak Grilled Stuffed Burrito, no beans; side of nachos and cheese. The Taco Bell I went to was relatively consistent, but still not great. Sometimes the stuff inside the burrito would be evenly distributed, sometimes I'd end up with a mouth full of sour cream or rice only on my first or last few bites. Overall, not bad.

Now, both of the local Taco Bells are terrible. They have a fancy tablet in-store to place your order, but most of the food is crap. I know that every fast food place pays an arm and a leg to make their items look unrealistically fantastic on the menu screens, but what you get is so far off as to be offensive.

For instance, I ordered this, sub'ing in steak and pico de gallo to make it a little tastier:
[Linked Image]

What I got was a thin wrap filled mostly with lettuce and some tomato (they must have forgotten the pico de gallo) and maybe four pieces of steak. Whereas my previous Grilled Stuffed Burritos was ALWAYS full of stuff, even if not consistently spread out, this thing was mostly tortilla. AWFUL!

The rest of the stuff we got wasn't much better.

Originally Posted by PimTac
My guess is that manager position will be responsible for multiple stores.

And sales goals of their store(s)...

No thanks--pay not good enough for the work involved (going by what I assume, and what is related here about it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back