Would you buy a new BMW F850 for nearly 16 large knowing that the engine is from China ?

I have a f900xr Beemer with the China engine that uses no oil. Gets 60 mpg. And is quicker than it needs to be. The rest of the bike made in Germany.has some issues.

If you bought new would you share the current mileage, 'sticker' price and did you know prior to purchase that the engine was not made in the Fatherland prior to purchase ?

If you bought new would you share the current mileage, 'sticker' price and did you know prior to purchase that the engine was not made in the Fatherland prior to purchase ?
8300 miles in 2.5 years. Paid $14240 for a nicely equipped F900xr. Yes I knew the engine was made in China by a reputable company. The engine is not the limiting factor in enjoying the bike. The ergonomics are all messed up.

8300 miles in 2.5 years. Paid $14240 for a nicely equipped F900xr. Yes I knew the engine was made in China by a reputable company. The engine is not the limiting factor in enjoying the bike. The ergonomics are all messed up.
thank you for the info, I am happy that you are happy

For those who don't know:

no telelever and a chain, so sad ;)

thank you for the info, I am happy that you are happy
The bike has needed little maintenance so far. The dealer changed the oil at the 600 mile break in. At 6606 miles I changed the oil myself, ($69) with Beemer oil and filter. I have a extra qt but it doesn't ever show low. I keep the chain clean and lubed (every 4th fillup) and it has required only two adjustments in 8300 miles.

I would never buy a motorcycle and I'll probably never buy anything BMW. So no, but country of origin of the engine is not why.

You got my curiosity. I thought BMW motorcycles are all "Shaft-Driven." F850 is not a real BMW moto IMHO.

Edit: I have to add one more thing. If you happen to purchase one, don't attend a BMW biker's event because they're going to make fun out of your bike.

The chain or belt drive F bikes have been around for more than 20 years. Rotax engines originally.

The whole point of paying a high price for a BMW motorcycle is that you are getting quality engineering but that's not the reason I would refuse to buy one with a major Chinese content. I can understand out sourcing. I have a new kitchen with all Bosch branded appliances but not one item was actually made in Germany. It's unrealistic to expect that a German brand motorcycle will be any different. There are many countries that could supply engines and it's sad that BMW chose China which I could never condone. It's about as dumb as Germany becoming reliant on Russian oil. After the new kitchen I refurbished two bathrooms and went out of my way to avoid anything made in China. I will continue to do so as as far as realistically possible.

The whole point of paying a high price for a BMW motorcycle is that you are getting quality engineering but that's not the reason I would refuse to buy one with a major Chinese content. I can understand out sourcing. I have a new kitchen with all Bosch branded appliances but not one item was actually made in Germany. It's unrealistic to expect that a German brand motorcycle will be any different. There are many countries that could supply engines and it's sad that BMW chose China which I could never condone. It's about as dumb as Germany becoming reliant on Russian oil. After the new kitchen I refurbished two bathrooms and went out of my way to avoid anything made in China. I will continue to do so as as far as realistically possible.
So you are absolutely sure nothing of quality in made in China. Sir, you can order any level of quality from China, the price goes up as the quality goes up.

So you are absolutely sure nothing of quality in made in China. Sir, you can order any level of quality from China, the price goes up as the quality goes up.

You misunderstand me. I know perfectly well that China can produce quality when they want to. I'll admit I wasn't being explicit, I was trying to avoid using the P word. I avoid Chinese products because I don't agree with their politics.

Yes BMW has made chain driven bikes for a long time mostly their sport bikes and the adventure style ones, really about the only shaft driven they have are the cruisers and touring bikes. Years ago I looked at a 2015 F800r that the Yamaha dealer had gotten on trade, it was a very nice bike with low miles, did have ABS & heated grips, I had a 2013 Ninja 650 so this bike was only 2 years newer than what I had and to me was more of a sidegrade in the end so I didn't pursue it but sometimes I do look back and wonder about it, the ABS would've been a nice upgrade and the bike seemed a lot more comfortable than mine, the heated grips is ok but I don't really ride when it's cold out and I have warmer gloves to wear.

Really for me the biggest gripe at BMW right now is they have stopped selling service manuals so you can't find torque settings or much of anything.... they are basically claiming that their motorcycles are now too complex for the average person to work on it and due to technical and legal issues they are only allowing trained service mechanics to work on them.

I wouldn't buy any new BMW motorcycle because they now no longer sell service manuals to the public. Service manuals are only available to dealers.

Really for me the biggest gripe at BMW right now is they have stopped selling service manuals so you can't find torque settings or much of anything.... they are basically claiming that their motorcycles are now too complex for the average person to work on it and due to technical and legal issues they are only allowing trained service mechanics to work on them.

It's a great shame that BMW have abandoned their heritage. On my 44 year old BMW the riders handbook is so comprehensive it covers all routine service items including torque settings. The tool kit needed to do the work was provided as well. There is no easier bike to work on, I reckon I could change both spark plugs in 60 secs flat. I have the factory workshop manual but it's really a repair manual and not needed until something wears out which hasn't happened yet.

I've ridden motorcycles for over 50 years and the idea that I would have to pay someone else to maintain it is so alien it would completely rule out the purchase of a new bike.

Their adventure bikes ie: GS models are very popular so I cannot imagine how those riders are feeling over this. I don't know if the decsion was across the board for all of their lineup or only on specific models, I know the R18 was affected, some owners were able to get the DVD manual as they were shutting things down but you can't even get those anymore, they were even trying to get a manual for the previous years bike too which seemed to have more sucess with that.

Back