Worst AC failure I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by 14Accent
You'll never get it all out. The hard lines, maybe. Hoses/condenser/expansion valve/evaporator core are all screwed.

The only way to do it right will be to replace everything with that level of failure.

Yep. Its going to be a $2k+ repair. Wonder what the blue book is on an 18 yr old vitara anyway

About $2k...but there are alternatives 🤔...‚

[Linked Image]

What leads up to black death in the cooling loop of automotive HVAC? Loss of refrigerant leading to loss of lubrication or just bad compressor design?

Originally Posted by nthach
What leads up to black death in the cooling loop of automotive HVAC? Loss of refrigerant leading to loss of lubrication or just bad compressor design?

Loss of refrigerant and lack of oil.

Unless it's a low mileage truck or they plan on keeping it at least 5 more years, it's not worth repairing. Sell it during the winter or to someone in the mountains.

As cheap as condensors, receiver driers, expansion valves etc are on Rockauto - I usually replace them and flush the lines and evap core with every compressor change.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by nthach

Loss of refrigerant and lack of oil.

Every three cans of R-134A I have to add, gets another 4oz of oil.

Almost 200,000 miles and the system has never been opened. That leak must be small, though.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Chris142 said:

Almost 200,000 miles and the system has never been opened. That leak must be small, though.

Unless that leak is gaping and you lose the charge in days, you aren't losing any significant oil with a extremely slow leak, you might end up decreasingly cooling efficiency.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Chris142 said:

Unless that leak is gaping and you lose the charge in days, you aren't losing any significant oil with a extremely slow leak, you might end up decreasingly cooling efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back