World renowned/uniquely local companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another one here is Crestline Coach, builder of Ambulances, small buses and mobile medical carts and lifts, sales worldwide. In 40+ years in business they have delivered 15,000 vehicles. Annual sales $50 million.

Broadly speaking local enterprise here is Export-oriented, and 70% of all products grown, mined, or manufactured in the province are exported, with China as it's second largest market at 10% of export volume, and growing at a rate of 300+ % over the last ten years. Other strong export growth comes from the United Arab Emirates (up 279% over the same period), Brazil (up 147%), Algeria (up 124%) and Mexico (up 118%).

By 2030 provincial exports to China are expected to exceed those to the US, the current largest market, but growing at only 3.3% average per year. As a region, currently Asia in total is the second largest market and is roughly equal to half the exports to US and Mexico combined, with high annual growth. Predicted sales will exceed North American by 2025.

Last edited:
Where I'm from, offshore oilfield companies, mostly boat companies, which operate all over the world. Edison Chouest Offshore, Harvey Gulf, Otto Candies Offshore, Cheramie Brothers Botruc (which was started by my grandmothers 1st cousin). Supposedly my great grandfather was supposed to go into business with Edison Chouest back in 1960, as they were asked to convert their shrimp boats to serve the oilfield. My grandfather was hesitant and never did. I always say who knows where the family would be today if he would have decided to join Edison.

A quick story, for one reason or another, one day about 7 years ago I was reading about wooden barrels. I came upon an article about A&K Cooperage in Missouri, and read about how theyre one of the only places left that make wooden barrels and things like that. I'm thinking ok, I'll never see place in my life. Well, 2 years after that my buddy asked me to ride with him to Higbee, Missouri to check out a deer lease. We turn down the road of the lease and I literally screamed in astonishment, there to the right, was A&K Cooperage. I was like man I read about that place never though Id see it. Its crazy how things like that happen, that it just so happened to be in he town of Higbee, MO and on the same road as the deer lease.

I grew up in Tacoma where "Brown and Haley makes them daily". Almond Roca and Mountain Bars. They are still there.

Also in the Pacific Northwest are the Pendleton Woolen Mills. Most of the stuff is made in Portland but the old mill in Pendleton is still running. I believe they make Indian blankets there.

Another is the Tillamook Creamery in Tillamook Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back