Work Vans - Lots of options out there.

Hi guys,

The company I work for is looking for a work van. (Construction materials) We've looked a few over the weekend which included a GMC/Chevy Savanna, Nissan NV 2500 High Top and a Ram van.

All of them seemed liked a good option and the Nissan is built with a full "body on frame" vs. the Ram which is FWD. We know mpg isn't going to be great and are looking for something rugged and going to last 200-250K at least. The Ram has a unique driving position and yet I'm concerned about the drive-train layout and serviceability.

The Nissan seems to be more antiquated but that's okay. The GMC/Chevy vans have less room.... An opinions or experience with any of these?

Nissan.jpg
Chevy.jpg

Ram.jpg

Thanks ahead of time!

The FWD rams are very popular with the RV crowd due to the low cost. However, they get VERY POOR reliability ratings in past years. Including engine problems. Misfire is a common issue, often due to a burned exhaust valve. Transmission problems also.

I know some get more than 200K from them. I'm guessing it's highway RV travel and not hard work.

The Ford vans with the Ecoboost are considerably better, as long as they are serviced frequently with quality synthetic oil.

The GM Express/Savana and old Ford E-Series are hands down the best. The GMs just run and run...the Ford will need a front end part or two around 100k and usually eject a plug around 150k but nothing major. Have run dozens of these over the years in my fleet at work. We've moved on to Transits and Connects....jury is still out on them.

The 4.0/5 speed in the NV was pretty good combination as was the 5.6/5 speed.
The weak point on that era Nissan truck was the "dana 44" rear axle. Which is solved by the vans having an AAM 8 lug rear axle.
Out of that group above, I'd go for the NV , GM van and not consider the Promaster.

I have a few different friends who work on Promster. They're pure trash. My favorite is the doors that fall off ... in a delivery vehicle.

Nissan actually puts the engine under the hood and not under the windshield :D
My pickup truck doesn't even do that!

The ram vans are basically a minivan engine/trans combo. Nissan and gm are going to be the most truck like. The ford transits are pretty nice. They are rear or all wheel drive but the differential is very low in the rear and seems like it can get hung up easily. Also the factory tires are trash in the snow.

The GM Van is an 8 lugger. So 6.0 (L96) and 6L90E. It is what my 1 ton truck has. You can't kill it. My buddy has one with 160,000 on it. He has 6 kids and they tow their 30 foot travel trailer with it. Gets the job done with out complaining. MPG is poo. 14-15ish empty...don't worry about loaded you won't want to know....7 to 9 mpg

The Express has always been my favorite. I used to drive one over a decade ago for a job and they still look the same. It’s a classic! The one I drove was very reliable but not so great gas mileage.

The Nissan van is ugly.

We have had over "25" GMC Savana / Chevy Express G2500s over the past 12 yrs at our company - All the ones with the 4.8 V8 have run over 250k miles with minimum to no issues aside from brakes and maint issues .
The new ones we've purchased (7 of them ) have the 4.3 V6 with the 8 speed transmission , we've lost two transmissions at 100k miles so far.
I'd stick with the 6.0 or 4.8 V8s with the 6 speed transmissions.

If you're going to load them down, you DON'T want the big Transits, they're really not built strong enough to take it. The E-Series/Econolines were (& still are in cutaway form) built a lot stronger. The Express/Savana is the strongest drivetrain, but unfortunately have less room & a much bigger thirst for fuel. The FCA/Stellantis Dodges & MB Sprinters are non-starters, the maintenance will eat you alive! I've only driven an NV2500 Nissan as a rental, but the companies that have them seem to like them.

The E-Series/Econolines were (& still are in cutaway form) built a lot stronger.

They make shuttle busses out of the E-450s. I rode in one a couple of weeks ago. The quality of the ride was like someone took a box truck, added seats, and called it a bus. Wondered if the driver's seat was mounted on springs, because the passenger seats should've been.

Hey guys - Thanks for all your input and opinions on these vans. I would tend to agree that the GM variants. (Sorry, nothing against the Fords or Mercedes options, just haven't looked at them at this point.) Having looked at all of them... They each have their own qualities... As "*****" as the Nissan is... you can stand-up inside of it. (I'm 6') and that's a good point... It also has a a frame and (apparently) a decent power train. And... lets face it... they are ALL going to suck on gas mileage.

I knew the Chrysler Ram vans were questionable, but didn't know they were that bad.... Sounds like they might get 150-200k and then Kaput? Who knows....

As you all have learned... a LOT has to do with the previous maintenance. Finding a good one is harder than it would appear. We shall see...

Hey guys - Thanks for all your input and opinions on these vans. I would tend to agree that the GM variants. (Sorry, nothing against the Fords or Mercedes options, just haven't looked at them at this point.) Having looked at all of them... They each have their own qualities... As "*****" as the Nissan is... you can stand-up inside of it. (I'm 6') and that's a good point... It also has a a frame and (apparently) a decent power train. And... lets face it... they are ALL going to suck on gas mileage.

I knew the Chrysler Ram vans were questionable, but didn't know they were that bad.... Sounds like they might get 150-200k and then Kaput? Who knows....

As you all have learned... a LOT has to do with the previous maintenance. Finding a good one is harder than it would appear. We shall see...
I would personally lean towards the Nissan myself 👍

Back