work trucks cutting red lights?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is a work vehicle with a company name, I'll call the company (or email them) and let them know what one of their drivers is doing.

Reality is everyone has a bad day and makes a poor choice here or there - ie: nobody is perfect. And if this is a one off event, usually a reminder its our business name on the truck works. More than 1 call, and it starts looking like a pattern.

Case in point: I observed a semi truck bob tailing in my area, and he was road raging with a car that he felt had done him wrong. Agressively honking, and trying to force the other driver off the road. I took the unit number and called the trucking company which was a locally based long haul trucking line. I got a call back from the president of the company the next day. He told me they had just let the driver go, as this was his third strike, all for aggressive driving incidents. Nobody believed the 1st call (too nice of a guy), the second call a month later put the guy on the hotseat, and I was number three two months later.

When I drive a vehicle with my employers logo on the door, I expect I am being watched. Don't drive like an idiot, and we'll all get where we need to be...

Some drivers know that they are more important than you and you'd better stay out of their way. They run red lights and in left turn lanes controlled by an arrow light, they create a gap when the green arrow light up and those behind him/her don't make it through. They do lots of other stuff which demonstrates their more important status. Just stay away and concentrate on your own safety and don't get caught up in their driving.

I see dummies around hear cutting off semis and box trucks all the time on the interstate. I do my best to give them a break. I wouldn't last a week doing short haul around these parts.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
e]
I don't cut in front of trucks/semis.
I was already in intersection.

This is a major route around ORD airport.
I have been known to keep a bit back on my left turning lane to allow a bit of space for semis making a left/right.

Per IL law, you can make a left on red only on a one-way street (kind of like a right on red)
My post may lead some to think this was directed at YOUR driving - It wasn't
smile.gif
Blowing red lights is BAD anywhere AND all the time.
We have lights at almost EVERY intersection across to the state highway now. Its insane. If crickets are chirpin at a light, I stop and go.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
If it is a work vehicle with a company name, I'll call the company (or email them) and let them know what one of their drivers is doing.

Reality is everyone has a bad day and makes a poor choice here or there - ie: nobody is perfect. And if this is a one off event, usually a reminder its our business name on the truck works. More than 1 call, and it starts looking like a pattern.

Case in point: I observed a semi truck bob tailing in my area, and he was road raging with a car that he felt had done him wrong. Agressively honking, and trying to force the other driver off the road. I took the unit number and called the trucking company which was a locally based long haul trucking line. I got a call back from the president of the company the next day. He told me they had just let the driver go, as this was his third strike, all for aggressive driving incidents. Nobody believed the 1st call (too nice of a guy), the second call a month later put the guy on the hotseat, and I was number three two months later.

When I drive a vehicle with my employers logo on the door, I expect I am being watched. Don't drive like an idiot, and we'll all get where we need to be...

Its good you reported that reckless jerk.

It ain't just work trucks by me. There is a certain percentage of drivers that do these things all day long. Every year with more and more cars on the road, the number of these jerks increases.

I am a cynic by nature, as well as a sometimes pessimist. But Give it a few more years by me and it will be necessary for all of us to do these things if we want to get somewhere on the roads.

We have an intersection here where I like to see how many people will run the left turn red light. So far the most I've seen is 6 cars go through after the light has turned red...they could just park a cop there and hand out tickets, but they don't...

I have found drivers in LA and Chicago to be far more alert and more conscious of basic traffic rules that Omaha. People on Dodge , 370 and I 80 seem to think that hitting their blinker for halfa second creates instant space, that is if they even bother with a blinker.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I DO take left on red arrows when its safe to do so.

I have a large brain, the light doesn't.

Pretty sure the traffic engineer who specifies a red left turn arrow on a 40MPH road with at least 2000 feet of oncoming traffic visibility doesn't have a large brain either.

Especially when 500 feet down the road you can make a left turn without the benefit of any traffic signal at all.

That's VDOT for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MNgopher

That is what my employee told us on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back