Wisdom Teeth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I was starting with a new dentist sometime in my late 20s and mentioned to him that I thought it was odd that no previous dentist had talked to me about having my wisdom teeth out and that they weren't bothering me yet.
After my xray, he told me I was lucky enough to have been born without any.
My daughter inherited my luck, but my wife has had two out and still complains about how miserable that was.

I only had upppers! Impacted and removed when I was 18. My daughter, age 18, just had all 4 (impacted) removed. One of my few good traits and she didn't get it
blush.gif

Off topic a bit. I had a tooth crack last year and ended up needing a root canal. I envisioned the worst, but was really shocked how painless the whole procedure was. Don't fret root canals!

In the mean time:

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: hatt
I'm 50 and still have all 4...it's all too easy to trigger the gag reflex, particularly if I'm anxious that morning.
Have you heard the guy that says modern soft food is screwing up everyone's jaw and teeth?

Nope, haven't heard that one.

Mouth breathing (allergies), and diet (e.g. Vit K2, and allergies) make more sense (to me).
I forgot who the guy was. I heard him a few months ago. This link was the general theme. I'll try to find him and his research. He says mouth breathing is also a symptom. His talk made a lot of sense. If a child sits on the couch all day long they're not going to develop the same way an active kid would. The jaw is probably the same.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111122112032.htm

Last edited:
I'm 50 and still have all 4...it's all too easy to trigger the gag reflex, particularly if I'm anxious that morning.

Do dentists still nag you to have them out?

Not sure when they stopped doing that with me, but I felt it as powerful intimation of mortality, "No one washes paper plates" stylee.

The overwhelming number of people should have them pulled. The overwhelming number of people who don't ultimately pay the price in terms of gum disease $$$$ for caps and ultimately have one or all of them pulled.

I had one pulled in my 30's ..not too bad. But the 3 in my mid 40!!!
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
Surgically removed (asleep), but for the next 2 days I wanted to die...the pain!! At the age of 50 they will all be impacted (roots growing around the jaw.

Folks that are smug leaving them in will all pay..unless they die young-fact.
grin.gif

I only have 2 wisdom teeth, only on the top. Never had any on the bottom.

When dentist took 2D x-ray, they looked like they were coming right above my back molars. When they did a panoramic 3D x-ray, saw they were actually positioned in towards the center of my mouth and not at risk of hitting other teeth. Dentist ended up using my case for some medical studies or something because it was so unique, lol.

Still have those two, no need to get removed. Never broke thru, just sitting up there somewhere...

Last edited:
I have all 4. My dentist insisted many times to have them removed.

However they were asymptomatic so I chose not to have them removed.

Originally Posted By: Al
Folks that are smug leaving them in will all pay..unless they die young-fact.
grin.gif

As far as I know in Europe nobody has them removed unless they cause problems.

I think dentists in NA recommend it to everyone because of $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back