Wiper Fluid Emissions Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "issue" with alcohols in washer fluids has been a thing for almost 20 years at least. They are VOCs after all, but ya it's kinda silly but I get it. VOC's react with sunlight to create ground level ozone and smog.

Is it any less silly the evap recovery systems on vehicles? Or the vapor recovery nozzles at gas pumps?

Reminds me that I need to run to the BMW dealership and buy some "summer blend" washer fluid. Their stuff is amazing.

Last edited:
What’s wrong with highlighting an issue that can easily be addressed by not using alcohol based WW fluid in the warm months? Collectively, millions of gallons of this stuff is evaporated into the air every day, every few days, whatever the case might be. How many people need methanol based windshield washer fluid in their tanks from May until October in much of the US? Answer: very few. I will do my part and minimize use of alcohol based WW fluid and only use it when needed. What’s the downside? I await the “smart” replies!!!!

What’s wrong with highlighting an issue that can easily be addressed by not using alcohol based WW fluid in the warm months? Collectively, millions of gallons of this stuff is evaporated into the air every day, every few days, whatever the case might be. How many people need methanol based windshield washer fluid in their tanks from May until October in much of the US? Answer: very few. I will do my part and minimize use of alcohol based WW fluid and only use it when needed. What’s the downside? I await the “smart” replies!!!!
Wish my washer fluid tank had a drain so I could save what's left over, for the following fall. I'm thick in pollen season and would love to use just water.

Season endings come as surprises, and I, myself, always prepared, have a gallon sized reservoir I keep topped off.

If I top off with water, now I have a fluid appropriate for no seasons that will last me until the next frost.

I’m guessing that their solution is to eliminate windshields altogether. Then you won’t need the washer fluid plus the savings on glass and weight will go a long ways to solving climate change. 🤣

Just wear goggles.
I see we found Kyle Larson's burner account /s

Wish my washer fluid tank had a drain so I could save what's left over, for the following fall. I'm thick in pollen season and would love to use just water.

Season endings come as surprises, and I, myself, always prepared, have a gallon sized reservoir I keep topped off.

If I top off with water, now I have a fluid appropriate for no seasons that will last me until the next frost.
Roger that! Sounds to me that you use very little washer fluid overall, so “swapping” is not really an option for you. Here way down south in MA, I and many others water-down what’s in there and put a couple drops of dishwashing soap in the mix to help wash away the crud in the warmer months. Been doing successfully for years.

I get the premise, but at like a gallon per year of usage, it is too much of a risk to not use “the good stuff”.
Think about the pollution when the car gets into an accident and needs to be fixed or repaired.

And the stupidity of not recognizing the source of pollution due to charging really irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back