Winter tires vs. summer with 4WD ...

AWD just puts you further into the ditch.
AWD lets you drive back out of the ditch.

Silly video, who buys summer tires for an area where it snows then continues to use them in winter. Nevermind, I'm sure someone does, the same tool who thinks that vehicle even needs summer tires on public roads in the summer.

Silly video, who buys summer tires for an area where it snows then continues to use them in winter. Nevermind, I'm sure someone does, the same tool who thinks that vehicle even needs summer tires on public roads in the summer.
It's a european biased test, back before there are now a lot of All-Weather (European All-season) tires in the UK market.

It's an old video, and there is plenty of European-based videos of summer tires on AWD vs winter tires on 2WD on Youtube.

You would be surprised how many of our customers drive on Pilot Super Sport or P Zero year round. Boggles my mind. I won’t even road test them in the winter.

If you want the best of both it is simple Summer tires April 1- Nov 1 and winter tires through the winter. Use a tire tree.
I use all seasons sometimes as well as dedicated winter and summer depending of the vehicle.

Tire Tree.jpg

If you want the best of both it is simple Summer tires April 1- Nov 1 and winter tires through the winter. Use a tire tree.
I use all seasons sometimes as well as dedicated winter and summer depending of the vehicle.

Except we get snow after april first here. and ice before nov 1st.

Why I use all-season and winter..

Now if I had a vette as a second car.. summer tires all the way.

no comparison as its all about the temperatures, summer tyres can crack + split in extreme cold + all season but winter + it says they begin to harden under 42F + even more important than going is STOPPING something even 4WD dont help!!! surely real winter tyres wear faster due to softer compounds + bridgestones Blizzak are said to be best in snow + ice + wear the fastest!! there is no one size fits all!!

Back