Winter tire suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 years ago I drove my old Miata through the Michigan winter on a set of WS80's. No problems. They worked well.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Do you have a extra set of rims/wheels? Can the car (brake calpier) take a minus one setup?
195 65r 15 may be better in the snow on all 4.

I went from 16" to a minus 2 setup (14" Dia) in steel on my Honda.

The car currently runs on 215/45 Cooper Zeon RS3-A with OE 17" rims. Unlike the US-Spec Civic, facelifted (2009 - 2011) Acura CSX comes with 17" rims from the factory.

t7l83b.jpg

I bought used Honda Civic SI (2008) rims for winter and 215/50/R17 Toyo winter tires, but it won't fit. I thought it will fit like a glove, since it is basically the same car but it didn't. You have to get 5 mm spacer in the front because there is no gap between the caliper and rim. I had to sell it. Now I hesitate to go smaller than minus 1. It is hard to find information on the internet because it was not available in US. Lesson learned the hard way.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Thanks for all input

I checked Gislaved tires, and you are right. Hard to find one in a physical store (I don't like to shop online when it comes to tires), and price is almost same with big 4 brands.

Purchased through Toyota Burlington dealership with a negotiated discount when I bought my car in Dec 2015.

When I buy snow tires I prioritize snow traction and tread depth(12/32) in accordance with a minimal average competency in ice traction. Good for me when I drive north of Hwy 9 (Newmarket/Orangeville corridor). Your priorities maybe different.

Although I am not a fan, I will buy the tires from Canadian tire, as they offer the best deal this month. Unfortunately they don't carry Gislaved tires.

I am on the fence between the two. The others are more expensive and not worth paying the premium.

1) Winter Contact SI - $143.97 each - 65 MIR - in stock
2) Blizzak WS80 - $136.47 each (price matched w/ Costco) - 70 MIR - have to order

Winter Contact (10/32 tread depth) is made in Germany, wheras WS80 (12/32) is in Japan.

I guess Contis are better and queiter on dry roads, but for heavy snow/ice WS80 will perform better.

For me I would go for the WS80's. For you I would go with the Conti's. It's flipping a coin really. Whatever you can get installed the quickest prior to a snowfall might be the best.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

1) Winter Contact SI - $143.97 each - 65 MIR - in stock
2) Blizzak WS80 - $136.47 each (price matched w/ Costco) - 70 MIR - have to order

Winter Contact (10/32 tread depth) is made in Germany, wheras WS80 (12/32) is in Japan.

I guess Contis are better and queiter on dry roads, but for heavy snow/ice WS80 will perform better.

Have to order doesn't mean Jack if delivery time is two or three days.

Ended up getting the 205/55/16 Wintercontact SI + steel rim combo.

First impressions: It is significantly quieter than Cooper Zeon RS3-A, which is an all season tire.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Below is Consumer Reports winter non-performance tire ranking (green only). On my previous vehicle, Scion XB, I had the Dunlop WinterMaxx 205/55/16. They served me well for 4 winters. On my current vehicle I have Gislaved NordFrost 100's. Fantastic winter tire but availability or its derivative could be an issue.

My wife likes her Cooper Weather Master WSC's. Mind you, she is coming from all seasons on her last Intrigue with quite a few miles on them but she can't believe how much of a difference there is with these new snowies on her new car.

No idea if they are the best, that's subjective, but for the price (rims and tires, $1300 tx's in) they are certainly a big improvement to what she is use to.
I also have running Coopers now and really like them on my Ram. Imo, they are wearing excellent as well.

Originally Posted By: irv
Below is Consumer Reports winter non-performance tire ranking (green only). On my previous vehicle, Scion XB, I had the Dunlop WinterMaxx 205/55/16. They served me well for 4 winters. On my current vehicle I have Gislaved NordFrost 100's. Fantastic winter tire but availability or its derivative could be an issue.

My wife likes her Cooper Weather Master WSC's. Mind you, she is coming from all seasons on her last Intrigue with quite a few miles on them but she can't believe how much of a difference there is with these new snowies on her new car.

No idea if they are the best, that's subjective, but for the price (rims and tires, $1300 tx's in) they are certainly a big improvement to what she is use to.
I also have running Coopers now and really like them on my Ram. Imo, they are wearing excellent as well.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-hakkapeliitta-r2/p/17230

There is no best single Winter tire. I have driven on Nokians, Semperits, Dunlops, Coopers, Gislaveds, Michelins, and currently Continentals. The biggest difference I have found is related to Speed rating.

If you drive primarily in deep snow and on icy surfaces at low speeds, buy Winter tires with a Q speed rating. The Nokian Hakka Q's I owned were unstoppable on ice and in deep snow, but wore fast and were very squirrelly on cold expressways at 70 MPH.

If you drive primarily on cold expressways at high speed and want great winter grip in light snow, buy tires with an H speed rating. You will loose deep snow and ice grip but highway driving is excellent. The Semperits, Dunlops, and Michelins I owned were in this category.

If you need a compromise, snow traction plus expressway speed safety, then buy tires with a T speed rating. The Coopers and Continentals I owned fit into this category. The Coopers had an open tread which did better in snow than the current Continentals.

I will need to buy new Winter tires in the Spring (sometimes great deals) or next Fall.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
There is no best single Winter tire. I have driven on Nokians, Semperits, Dunlops, Coopers, Gislaveds, Michelins, and currently Continentals. The biggest difference I have found is related to Speed rating.

If you drive primarily in deep snow and on icy surfaces at low speeds, buy Winter tires with a Q speed rating. The Nokian Hakka Q's I owned were unstoppable on ice and in deep snow, but wore fast and were very squirrelly on cold expressways at 70 MPH.

If you drive primarily on cold expressways at high speed and want great winter grip in light snow, buy tires with an H speed rating. You will loose deep snow and ice grip but highway driving is excellent. The Semperits, Dunlops, and Michelins I owned were in this category.

If you need a compromise, snow traction plus expressway speed safety, then buy tires with a T speed rating. The Coopers and Continentals I owned fit into this category. The Coopers had an open tread which did better in snow than the current Continentals.

I will need to buy new Winter tires in the Spring (sometimes great deals) or next Fall.

You can have great traction with H speed rating in deep snow. I had Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 with H speed rating. Deep snow traction is nothing but design of tire and winter compound. Ice is different, and depth of tread or speed rating are not as important as compound. You can make super soft compound with high speed rating. Problem is more complex compound, pricier tire.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: irv

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-hakkapeliitta-r2/p/17230

21.gif
Not sure if you are suggesting these are better tires or are a better price? If cost, keep in mind I am up in Canada so we generally pay more for everything, and also, hers are 18's not 14's.

If it's the tire, then like I said, everything is subjective but also keep in mind I know a guy who works for Attersley tire who informed they were a good tire but they wore fast. For the same size I would need for my wife's Impala, 18's, the cost would also be significantly more as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back