Tires for 2019 Jeep Cherokee limited tire replacement

A relative is needing new tires for her 19 Cherokee. The priorities are as follows:

1. Soft and smooth ride for on pavement driving.
2. Decent in snow and ice.
3. Reasonably priced.

No Michelins, Continentals, pirelli's, Bridgestone.

My gut reaction is to look at Mastercraft or Generals as she needs as soft a ride as possible.

My experience with the four I listed are that they are anything but soft. They tend to be very firm and she needs the opposite. It has Continentals and they are very stiff as has every set we have ever used. The more like a marshmallow, the better.

My experience with the four I listed are that they are anything but soft. They tend to be very firm and she needs the opposite. It has Continentals and they are very stiff as has every set we have ever used. The more like a marshmallow, the better.
Can you downsize to the 17" rims if found like from a Latitude? That will get you more sidewall for extra cushion. If 16" fit from something even better. It's a Jeep Cherokee, not designed for luxury cushy ride.

I know you said no Michelin or Pirelli. The Defender LTX M/S I have on Pilot is so much better than the factory Bridgestone's it came with. Smoother, quieter and great all around. You don't show location but it is not 3PMSF. The CrossClimate2 gets really great reviews for all around except loosing some MPG's. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS2+ on my daughters CRV are a lot quieter and better riding than the old/worn Michelin Defender T&H it came with used. I bought them just for those reasons. Pirelli P7 on my Accord is the same. I bought for the reviews and tests of great ride, quiet, wet. Night and day compared to the Goodyear WeatherReady that was on it. They rode stiff and sounded like AT tires. The Pirelli is 17" vs 16" GY on that and better riding. My vehicles all run true winter tires so I can't give you snow experience on them. My sister put the Michelin CC2 on her RAV4 Hybrid year round, she loves them as compared whatever came factory. She said much better wet/dry/snow, better ride, less noise.

The Avid Ascend GT was one I was contemplating for my Accord and my sons Forte from reviews and tests.

Do not get the GY WeatherReady if you want quiet and soft.

With your wants I would get for me for 3PMSF, Michelin CC2, Nokian WRG4, Toyo Celsius, Vredestein Quatrac Pro, General 365 AW.

Non 3PMSF Conti TrueContact tour, Pirelli Scorpion AS+3, Yokohama Avid Ascend GT, General RT45

Many people over the years have complained about Continental having sidewall that are too soft and mushy. They wanted more steering response and less cushion.

Do they need or want more of an AT type tire? It is a Jeep Cherokee. My Father-in-law has a Renegade. He wants the aggressive looking AT type tire. He's 77 not going offroad etc but it's the image. Wifes Pilot defender LTX goes a lot more off road than his jeep. My Accord has seen more mud and gravel roads than his jeep.

It currently has procontact tx. She doesn't need anything remotely all terrain. The type of crossover she would have been better off with would have been a RX350. This is sort of a last ditch attempt to rectify a mistake that she will likely not learn a thing from. She got this against my recommendation because the seat was comfortable, she wanted to sit high, she always wanted a Jeep, and wasn't paying attention to anything else.

I will check into a smaller tire size. She is located in the Midwest. Under normal circumstances, snow and ice are not that extreme for this area. Their other car uses General altimax RT43 which replaced Cooper CS5 Grand touring which provided adequate snow and ice traction for their area. They have only once had a set of snow tires (by accident) and they hated them.

They are not going with Goodyear either. The last set burnt them. They usually use either Generals, Mastercraft, or Coopers. I will have to look at a few of the recommendations. For what it's worth, they live in a rural town so some brands are harder to come by. I know the answer from here might be tire rack but I would like to avoid that if possible, they could teach a mule a thing or two about how to be more stubborn. (It runs in the family).

Last edited:
@Enthusiast - Even with your no major brands list. Go to Tire Rack and watch all the video's for all the models listed. They discuss them as compared to similar competitors. If you watch all of them you will get comparisons and test results accordingly then maybe help you decide.

I listed the one in another thread for Laufenn X-fit. Comment in tests of "worst wet weather traction ever experienced and normal drive would exceed limits" is something that can't be relayed enough. People will buy anyway for budget etc. Not the place to save $$.

What's with women and buying jeeps. If she wants a smooth ride, and the jeep rides rough, then she should have bought something else. Tires can only change so much about a car.

I'd get michelins
Originally the rough ride wasn't a problem, until she fell and injured herself. As to why women buy jeeps, if I figure out women I will be sure to write a book and make a fortune. They are confusing.

I know General is owned by Continental, it's not a dislike for the company as a whole, it's a consistent track record of not liking Continentals but liking general. Kind of like the difference between a Buick versus a Chevy. We've had good results with generals and bad results with Continentals.

I will review tirerack reviews. Let me clarify, I am not a person who would ever tolerate the cheapest piece of junk tire from a no name Chinese company for this. Tires from General, Mastercraft, or Cooper are far away from a no name Chinese company. These are the brands that they have used most of their lifetime and have served them very well.

Any reason to get the Altimax 365 versus Altimax RT45?

I think the CS5s would still be too firm, what do you think about the evolution tour or the endeavor series?

Your tire throught process is wonky.

"I wouldnt buy a f150 the focus is too low to the ground."

Every tire model---NOT Brand.. has its own merits.. and you excluded the ones that best fit your criteria.

The Continental Truecontact Tour is best in class and quiet.

The Michelin Crossclimate 2 is odd looking but surprisingly quiet and among the best tires in the winter besides winter tires.

The jeep cherokee is not a wrangler your relative will be fine. I owned cherokee trailhawks for 6 years even with AT tires they had good ride.. esp over road imperfections.

A relative is needing new tires for her 19 Cherokee. The priorities are as follows:

1. Soft and smooth ride for on pavement driving.
2. Decent in snow and ice.
3. Reasonably priced.

No Michelins, Continentals, pirelli's, Bridgestone.

My gut reaction is to look at Mastercraft or Generals as she needs as soft a ride as possible.
What is the tire size?
Maybe she has optional larger wheels and the best way for "soft and smooth" ride is to go with smallest wheels that clear the brakes?

#3 may address itself by going smaller (smaller tires as fitting smaller wheels - not total diameter) as they are cheaper.

Krzyś

On my 15 Cherokee Limited I did the Yokohama Geolander G015s up a size from stock. Looked great and rode much better than the stock Conti's. Was a beast in the snow too. Technically an all terrain, but it was basically an aggressive all season tire. Very quiet on the road.

Back