Winter oil - 7.3L diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: D-Roc

With those amount of miles on your last Cummins (w/ Kendal 15W40), did you run the engine in coldsoaked temps with unaided starts on a regular basis?
I think this is what some of the members are referring to...an oil that can cover the bases in winter time, if you cannot plug in.
My self, I personally believe that it has to be pretty cold before you start to see excess wear with dino 15W40 unaided. Then again, it gets cold where I live...sometimes very cold.

In a word... yes. Now let's be realistic. Why would anyone want to try and leave a diesel engine for any great length of time in the cold unaided with the temp low enough to cause a flow problem. There will probably be more issues about getting the vehicle started than whether the oil flows. Even when I was in a remote enough area that I couldn't plug in, I would start the engine every few hours to operating temp and run it for a while. I even had an auto start feature installed that would start the engine once it reached a pre defined cold temp. Also, it begs the question on where the person is located that they cannot get access to less than 1000 watts of power to plug in even the largest oil pan heater. I didn't hear that anyone here lived in a remote portion of the Arctic like I did. And even then, I had access to power if I was shutting the vehicles off for any extended length of time (i.e. more than 8-12 hours). Heck, a SMALL portable generator (1000+ watts) can power the oil pan heater in most everything except a large class 8 truck or D9 Cat engine. Or do we delve into the rediculous and even leave the small, hand carried portable generator out in the elements so that it will have a starting issue as well. The heater does not have to be plugged in every moment the engine is not operating. A couple of hours (add time if temp is real extreme) of the heater plugged in will take care of any starting issues. A healthy dose of common sense will go a long way.

Of course this is all moot if someone likes to see how far they can push an expensive piece of equipment before they destroy it. I think I will opt for some relatively cheap options that will spare a lot of wear and tear on a big investment.

It is not my intent to belittle anyone for jumping back and forth between oil viscosity on a seasonal basis. Just that there is no need to. Even the group IV 15w40 varients will flow quite well down to -30. But it would be extremely cruel to an expensive diesel engine to continuously start it in that temp without a warming aid, assuming, of course that you don't also have a fuel gelling problem or your battery is too cold to have enough amps to crank the engine. But then I don't like taking a engine that I just spent thousands on and not invest, at most, a few hundred dollars to make sure it does not have to suffer any more abuse than necessary.

I do not have an oil pan heater on my truck but do have a block heater. I am interested in adding on an oil pan heater to my truck if I can find one. I think that would definitely help my oil flow issues in the colder weather. How are these pan heaters usually mounted? In many cases I can get access to plug in.

Where I live it does not get anywhere down near the -70 like up in the arctic. The coldest we have around here is maybe -25 at night and maybe another 10 degrees colder than that at the even higher elevations. Daytime temps are usually a lot warmer.

If a group IV 15W40 will flow well with colder temps, I would be okay with running that. We also have a cummins truck here with almost 400k on it that has always had 15W40 Rotella oil in it. However, it seems to start much better in the cold compared to mine and I think that is primarily because mine is a HEUI based design using oil at high pressure to create required fuel pressure.

you can go to http://www.wolverineheater.com/ and get whatever heater pad that is for your size pan and oil capacity.

Except for the Class 8 truck engines, all the heater pads just stick with a very good adhesive to the bottom of the pan. When you order a pad, every you need to do the job is included. Just clean up the bottom of the pan and stick the pad on.

For a typical pickup engine, The most power the pad would use is 500w. Compare that to the typical block heater power requirement of usually 1000-1500w.

My wife has a 2002 Powerstroke and in the owners manual it gives the recommended oil viscosity for the temps encountered. 5w-40 would work all year round. As would a pan heater.

10W30 is recommended below 30 F, & I've used a 5W40 syn the last couple of years myself (van is parked on the street, no room in driveway to plug in), 15W40 is a BAD idea on a HEUI engine in very cold weather-it contributed to a head gasket failure in my '05, extreme overfueling in cold temps WILL result!

I have a feeling the 5W40 weight is eventually going to replace the 15W40 as the diesel standby. That is once people get past the "fear factor" of running a 5 instead of a 15.

Originally Posted By: 99
I have a feeling the 5W40 weight is eventually going to replace the 15W40 as the diesel standby. That is once people get past the "fear factor" of running a 5 instead of a 15.

I think the future of HDEO is 30 weight....JMO.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
you can go to http://www.wolverineheater.com/ and get whatever heater pad that is for your size pan and oil capacity.

Except for the Class 8 truck engines, all the heater pads just stick with a very good adhesive to the bottom of the pan. When you order a pad, every you need to do the job is included. Just clean up the bottom of the pan and stick the pad on.

For a typical pickup engine, The most power the pad would use is 500w. Compare that to the typical block heater power requirement of usually 1000-1500w.

Thanks for the link. I will be ordering one of these up soon. Just need to measure the pan to see which model I can go with.

I read a post on another forum where someone stated that Ford now approves 5w40 for all Powerstroke diesels due to the availability of 5w40 Motorcraft oil.

Originally Posted By: 01F450

I read a post on another forum where someone stated that Ford now approves 5w40 for all Powerstroke diesels due to the availability of 5w40 Motorcraft oil.

Sounds like Harley and syn oil for their bikes - never endorsed b/c they didn't have one with their name on the quart. Then they magically launch a syn and endorse them (for their blind followers).

I'm not aware that Ford banned 5W40s - they may have recommended a 15W-40 and an API spec. Once you have basic lube knowledge, you know that 5W just flows faster at startup than 15W - they are both similar in thickness at operating temp.

Last edited:
Syn oil is great for cold starts for sure. But since the question was originally posted about a 7.3L PowerStroke one needs to understand that engine has some special operating parameters. The 7.3L uses a HEUI fuel system that relies on high pressure oil (from around 800psi up to around 3500psi) to fire the injector.

During a cold start, no matter what oil you use, the engine will not run like it normally does. The colder the oil the worse the idle/driveability will be. During a cold start timing, ICP, and PW are being controlled by special cold start tables in the programming.

The pump isn't "working" any harder cold than it is hot. The high pressure oil pump is a fixed displacement pump which means it moves the same amount of oil per revolution no matter how much ICP (injection control pressure) is asked for. To change ICP the IPR (injection pressure regulator) will dump oil flow back to the pan. The high pressure pump is force feed oil from the lube oil pump.

I would not recommend using 5 or 10w30 oils in the 7.3L. If anything a 5w40 "synthetic", whether that be a gpIII or a real synthetic, is a good idea. However I've had good UOA's with regular 15w40 (usually Delo, but it depends on the contract at the time) even in very cold weather. The company I work for operates equipment in Alaska and some of it will sit for days or weeks and is cold soaked for sure. Trucks that can be left plugged in get 15w40 and the UOA's don't look any worse up there than in warmer states. The trucks that can't be plugged in get 5w40. The equipment rages widely from pickups with PowerStrokes and Cummins to large CATs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back