Windshield chip repair - Please help

Wifey loves our 2006 TSX with 210K; the windshield keeps getting chipped on the freeway.
Sue is very driven and self sufficient; she has been taking the car to Classic Car Warsh. They charge $89 but have been giving her a discount to $49.
I had no idea until yesterday...
I believe there have been at least 4 repairs over the last couple of years. Then another today!

Then there's my trusty 2001 Tundra; chips galore!
So, what do you have any favorite repair products?

Thanks in advance!

It varies by state, but many insurance company deductibles for chip repair are waived (with comprehensive coverage). Do professionals do it better vs. DIY??????

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to keep a kit on hand. Practice on the chips that are not in the direct line of sight of the driver first.

If all else fails inquire with your insurance.

Used a no name brand from Amazon once, pushed too much resin through the syringe, which went in between the two panes in the windshield and caused a blurry spot. Wasn't in the line of sight, got rid of the crack but it looked like bird sh.. If you DIY, less is more.

I had a questionable double star repaired at a windshield repair place. The offer was that if I didn't like the repair, the cost would be applied against a new windshield.

Somehow that rock struck the windshield twice leaving 2 stars about 1/2 inch apart, near my line of sight. It must have been some complex shape that rotated when it hit, striking the windshield a second time. The repair was fine but the view through the glass was distorted.

So having tried the repair route, I had no qualms about having the windshield replaced. The best of both worlds.

How large a chip are we talking about? Pinprick, 1 to 2mm, or a Moon crater? Are there any cracks radiating outward from the chip?

Biggest is maybe 6mm. No spiders... Bunch of smaller ones. Typical older pickup truck stuff.
I'm not sure if that's too big to fill with a windshield repair resin. I know it works well for small, say up to 3mm diameter shallow chips. You may have to work in layers and build up the resin or it may not cure properly.

I've done a few and only used the Permatex kit. No loyalty to it except it's a decent price and usually in stock. Some stopped from spreading, some didn't. Not certain if it was user error or product error or a chip that would've spidered even given the best repair skill possible. For $15ish I always figure it's worth a try. I was tempted on the last one a few weeks ago to give a windshield place a try at fixing it to see if they do better work since they know what they're doing (unlike me). But ended up with another kit because I found time that particular evening. Hasn't spread yet in about a month of heat 🤷‍♂️ I think windshield places are $30-50 to repair chips. For that price I'd personally stay away from making it an insurance claim and having a claim tagged to my name. But that's just me.

Watch a few YouTube videos first if you are going to DIY with one of the kits. They are helpful to know what to expect and the techniques involved.

I used a Permatex kit to repair a chip that was smaller than a match head and not very deep, located low and about the middle of the windshield so not in the line of sight. It worked very well, you cannot feel it with a fingernail. However, unlike some of the YouTube videos
it looks like a hard water spot and is not invisible.

I messed up.. need to change my message.. the brand I used was Rain-X not permatex.. I was at walmart today and realized I posted the wrong brand.. Anyway the Rain-X version has been awesome.. and that is about $10 at walmart.. ok I feel better now.. lol oh and most of these brands use UV-light to activate the glue.. I ended up getting a UV light just in case Michigan weather decided to get cloudy right when I'm gluing the chip!

Back