Windows Edge Browser cannot fill in pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on some tax forms and have discovered that Edge will not let me fill in the pdf files. It displays the form but that is all. After some reading this seems to be the case and a work around is to choose Internet Explorer with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I found that Chrome and Firefox handle this task as the older IE. How is this an improvement? Maybe I am missing some plug in or program?

Scott

Microsoft's browsers have always sucked. There is no reason to ever use them.

Just use Firefox or Chrome and forget Microsoft even makes a browser.

I use Opera as default browser. Based on the Chrome engine. Just did an IRS form this week on it no problemo. Edge is extremely limited right now, but MS supposedly will begin revamping it for use with plugins, etc.

Originally Posted By: boulderdentist
I have been working on some tax forms and have discovered that Edge will not let me fill in the pdf files. It displays the form but that is all. After some reading this seems to be the case and a work around is to choose Internet Explorer with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I found that Chrome and Firefox handle this task as the older IE. How is this an improvement? Maybe I am missing some plug in or program?

Scott

Many of us have switched to Chrome, Firefox and Sumatra PDF years ago. You should try them via downloads. Then problems solved.

Last edited:
Is this an online form, or something you can download, print, and submit? If the latter is the case, download it, and deal with it in Adobe itself, independent of the browser. That's how I did it when Evince was behind the times in Linux.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I find it amusing when people post how bad IE/Microsoft is and how great FF and GC are. FF is SLOW and Google anything is well from Google and thus not something I will use.

Now Edge I agree sucks. No question. It is awful from a feature/layout standpoint but it does work. I like IE myself and that is what I use and will continue to use as long as I can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I find it amusing when people post how bad IE/Microsoft is and how great FF and GC are. FF is SLOW and Google anything is well from Google and thus not something I will use.

I find it amusing when people defend IE/Microsoft browsers and software.
smile.gif

I use all 4 - IE (for work when I must), Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. FF loads slow but rendering seems about the same as the other 3. They all seem to be about the same speed.

IE/Microsoft is just a bad experience from usability to security, to obscure rendering stuff.

Last edited:
I use all 4 - IE (for work when I must), Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. FF loads slow but rendering seems about the same as the other 3. They all seem to be about the same speed.

Firefox on my Ubuntu laptop is absolutely the fastest to load, save for some intentionally lightweight browsers like Midori or Epiphany. Rendering is about equal to Chrom(ium). I'll take Firefox's plugins and extensions over Chrome's any time.

While I adore the idea of an OS-native browser that uses shared system libraries and UI assets I cannot wish hard enough for IE/ Edge and Safari to fall out of favour to the point where they are abandoned. It'd be nice to see a healthy ecosystem of open source browsers built on, and adherent to, open standards. Choice and freedom are great.

IE/Microsoft is just a bad experience from usability to security, to obscure rendering stuff.

Embrace, extend and extinguish. I am always glad when it doesn't work.

I find it amusing when people defend IE/Microsoft browsers and software.
smile.gif

I am not defending Microsoft. They drive me nuts( read my many posts about how much I hate their make change for change sake way of doing things ). I just get a laugh when people claim FF and GC are so vastly superior to IE. Just completely untrue. IE is the industry standard and it works with the fewest issues. Security risks are an issue but a good AV program and keeping up with updates takes care of it.

Maybe because I do website design I have a negative bias towards FF and GC/Opera. They are a royal PITA. I constantly have to tweak things for those browsers while the sites always seem to work properly in IE with no extra work on my part.

Like with most things in life where there are multiple options, including web browsers, they all have their own set of pros and cons. I like and use IE. I do not like FF at all. It is slow from loading at startup to surfing. I detest Google with a passion for their well known information gathering and sharing practices, adding hidden things into downloaded software, and the infuriating way you can't just uninstall something Google and have it all be gone. It leaves traces you have to hunt down to remove. Opera is just Chrome in different gift wrap and doesn't impress me.

When IE is finally gone, and Edge is the only option we have, I will have to reconsider the browser I use. Unless they improve Edge A LOT I will have no choice but to go elsewhere. Edge is flat out awful and I hate it. I will most likely end up using FF which stinks because it will be so slow.

Again, to each his own. I just think the negative claims made about IE are vastly overstated as are all of the glowing claims of superiority made about FF and GC/Opera.

We can all agree that Safari sucks though at least so all is right in the world.
crackmeup2.gif

11.gif

IE is the industry standard and it works with the fewest issues. Security risks are an issue but a good AV program and keeping up with updates takes care of it.

Maybe because I do website design I have a negative bias towards FF and GC/Opera. They are a royal PITA. I constantly have to tweak things for those browsers while the sites always seem to work properly in IE with no extra work on my part.

What industry might that be? IE has ceased to be any industry standard for years now. Probably since the mobile revolution where they code to non-IE and then try to make IE work. And then you have all the "IE Hacks" to make things work right in that browser.

IE lost the market share a while ago so it should be an afterthought.

Quote:
We can all agree that Safari sucks though at least so all is right in the world.
crackmeup2.gif

I quite like Safari. It seems to be good enough and integrates with my computer and phone choices quite well. IMHO it's a pity they discontinued the PC version.

I've never had issues with the speed of any modern browser on a modern computer.

IE is the industry standard and it works with the fewest issues. Security risks are an issue but a good AV program and keeping up with updates takes care of it.

What industry might that be? IE has ceased to be any industry standard for years now. Probably since the mobile revolution where they code to non-IE and then try to make IE work. And then you have all the "IE Hacks" to make things work right in that browser.

IE lost the market share a while ago so it should be an afterthought.

Quote:
crackmeup2.gif

I quite like Safari. It seems to be good enough and integrates with my computer and phone choices quite well. IMHO it's a pity they discontinued the PC version.

I've never had issues with the speed of any modern browser on a modern computer.

thumbsup2.gif

Maybe because I do website design I have a negative bias towards FF and GC/Opera.

You are the only one, ever. I have not encountered one of my own out in the world - ever (ever, *ever*) - who has a negative bias towards the browsers that are cross-platform and standards-compliant. The closed-source piece of garbage that makes a mockery of open standards, is horribly insecure and Windows-only? Lots of web devs with a negative bias towards that monster!

When IE6 was still prevalent I spent a great deal of my time kludging together solutions that would render properly on it (If you want to give a web dev an eye twitch, just say to them "IE6, .png alpha channel"). It has gotten better, to the point where it is no longer even an issue for the most part; but it still cannot go far enough away fast enough for me.

Whatever gentlemen. I am not going to argue endlessly over browser choice. It is such a foolish thing to argue about. Use what you like by all means.

Why you feel you have to run down others for their choices though escapes me? And before you say you didn't do that let me assure you that your comments insulted those who like IE even if they were not directed at anyone in particular.

Quote:

Comments like ^^^ are insulting to many( comes across like we have no brains because we use IE/Edge )and they offer nothing constructive to the thread.

Ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Maybe because I do website design I have a negative bias towards FF and GC/Opera.

You are the only one, ever. I have not encountered one of my own out in the world - ever (ever, *ever*) - who has a negative bias towards the browsers that are cross-platform and standards-compliant. The closed-source piece of garbage that makes a mockery of open standards, is horribly insecure and Windows-only? Lots of web devs with a negative bias towards that monster!

When IE6 was still prevalent I spent a great deal of my time kludging together solutions that would render properly on it (If you want to give a web dev an eye twitch, just say to them "IE6, .png alpha channel"). It has gotten better, to the point where it is no longer even an issue for the most part; but it still cannot go far enough away fast enough for me.

In my world( the sites I do and then web developer forums I visit )it is FF and GC( Opera too as it is a GC clone )that cause the problems not IE. But of course your world is the correct one and everyone else is wrong. Got it thanks.

Only sites that cause me to have to tweak them to make things work properly, be they mobile variants or regular versions, are for FF and Chrome/Opera. I don't seem to have any issues with IE. But, I clearly am a whacko so just ignore me please and go back to telling everyone else what to do and what they should think.

Last edited:
In my world( the sites I do and then web developer forums I visit )it is FF and GC( Opera too as it is a GC clone )that cause the problems not IE. But of course your world is the correct one and everyone else is wrong. Got it thanks.

Only sites that cause me to have to tweak them to make things work properly, be they mobile variants or regular versions, are for FF and Chrome/Opera. I don't seem to have any issues with IE. But, I clearly am a whacko so just ignore me please and go back to telling everyone else what to do and what they should think.

That's a little dramatic, no? You talk about how fruitless it is to "argue" about silliness like people's browser choices, and then use language like this? This is a discussion forum. Without discussion, there is no forum. No need to be so dramatic. If you want civilized discussion, discuss civilly.

I would love to see a real-world example of either a standards-compliant browser *causing* a problem. I have seen many situations where IE/ IIS has sported features that only work on IE, and then MS encouraged sites to be developed that relied on those features; but that is almost by definition the *cause* of a problem.

Historically, IE has been, by a very, very long shot, the worst browser on the planet in terms of performance, security and standards compliance. I do know there are intranets and networks a' plenty that rely on (and mandate the use of!) IE - to both support features that might be IIS/ IE-exclusive but also to minimize the effort required to support the in-use technologies in-house (inevitably by a companies MCSE's).

Do you, perchance, work in a corporate environment where MS technologies form the core of the network? Do you use a MS IDE? (That would clear up a lot of mystery!) Would you share some of the specific problems caused by FF/ Chrome? I have been developing sites since the late 90's and my experience has always been that once a site has been developed, deliberate measures then have to be taken to get it to render properly on IE (less so as the years pass, thankfully). The list of security nightmares with IE is too long to fit into a post here. Also, if we are debating the merits of a given browser as being "good" - as broad a stroke as that is to paint with - The fact that IE only runs on one client OS (and only a tiny fraction of the exploding mobile market) makes it a very limited product.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

That's a little dramatic, no? You talk about how fruitless it is to "argue" about silliness like people's browser choices, and then use language like this? This is a discussion forum. Without discussion, there is no forum. No need to be so dramatic. If you want civilized discussion, discuss civilly.

I would love to see a real-world example of either a standards-compliant browser *causing* a problem. I have seen many situations where IE/ IIS has sported features that only work on IE, and then MS encouraged sites to be developed that relied on those features; but that is almost by definition the *cause* of a problem.

Historically, IE has been, by a very, very long shot, the worst browser on the planet in terms of performance, security and standards compliance. I do know there are intranets and networks a' plenty that rely on (and mandate the use of!) IE - to both support features that might be IIS/ IE-exclusive but also to minimize the effort required to support the in-use technologies in-house (inevitably by a companies MCSE's).

Do you, perchance, work in a corporate environment where MS technologies form the core of the network? Do you use a MS IDE? (That would clear up a lot of mystery!) Would you share some of the specific problems caused by FF/ Chrome? I have been developing sites since the late 90's and my experience has always been that once a site has been developed, deliberate measures then have to be taken to get it to render properly on IE (less so as the years pass, thankfully). The list of security nightmares with IE is too long to fit into a post here. Also, if we are debating the merits of a given browser as being "good" - as broad a stroke as that is to paint with - The fact that IE only runs on one client OS (and only a tiny fraction of the exploding mobile market) makes it a very limited product.

Enough already and no it wasn't overly dramatic. You like what you like and I like what I like. I don't try and talk people out of FF, GC, or Opera and I don't go out of my way to slam them at every opportunity. If people bring it up( i.e. how superior they are )I will comment but otherwise I try and just stay on topic. I wish people on this site, just in general, would do the same. Think before you post and show some respect for others.

I am not going to sit here and debate web browsers with you. Sorry. I have simply posted my personal experience which is not up for debate even though you clearly doubt me. FF and GC/Opera cause me nothing but problems(FACT) and NO I am not some closed/private network webmaster or tech guy who only develops for Microsoft software. Just a general web designer.

There are quite a few things that require special attention so that the feature will function and/or display properly on FF and GC/Opera. I am not going into huge detail but a few examples of the things I regularly have issues with on FF and GC/Opera would be forms, menus, and embedded video( direct/local hosted not streamed ). I always have to tweak code or go to extreme levels to make these things function/display properly in FF and GC/Opera while everything displays and functions properly in IE the 1st time pretty much all the time( rare situation where it doesn't ). Overwhelmingly the problems I run into are with FF and Chrome these days.

Have I ever had a problem with IE? Sure, of course I have. However, things have been much better with IE in more recent years( as you admit to btw ). IE10-11 have been pretty good actually and it sort of makes me laugh that Microsoft finally seems to have got IE to work at it's best in IE11 right before they are killing it off for Edge. That is typical Microsoft for you though.

Also, understand I am talking about recent times with all of these browsers. What happened with IE, FF, Chrome, etc... years and years ago has bupkiss to do with right now. Over the last couple years FF and Chrome( and thus Opera as a Chrome clone )have back slid IMO. Most of the problems I have are in recent years but again that is what I am talking about not issues from when I started doing sites in the late 90's/early 2000's.

If your experience is different fine. You and some others just post in absolutes and it comes across very insulting. I don't see the need for all the extra slams you and some others throw in. MILLIONS of people use IE, have no issues with it, and like it. MILLIONS of people dislike FF, GC, Opera and have had problems with them. They are not perfect either. I also know you can reverse the like/dislikes above. Again, use what you like but at the same time allow others the same courtesy.

Now let's move on shall we. Have a good day.

cheers3.gif

Not clear how a web developer can stand the garbage development tools Microsoft has tried to pass off.

I work at development company where we create modern web sites, web games, and complex business applications and not a single developer(100!) uses i.e anything except to groan with it virtualized fixing issues our testers surface.

Now Edge I agree sucks. No question. It is awful from a feature/layout standpoint but it does work. I like IE myself and that is what I use and will continue to use as long as I can.

I agree with you, with the exception that Edge sucks. Edge like any other, does some things well and some other not. The solution is to also have Firefox or Chrome and decide what one likes best.
Agree again on Google, my god if people understood how they have sold their body to google in return for free stuff they would be shocked. Google users submit all their daily lives and privacy to google. Right down to their street address, google even has your wifi network mapped, again, right down to your street address and name of your wifi network.
When that google map street view truck comes down your block, its not only recording your house for mapping, its recording the name of your wifi network linked to your home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back