Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Killer223
i'm still running Linux!!!

Earlier I downloaded the .iso and moved one of my last machines off Linux, you can keep that joke of an os!

Linux people really are the vegans of the PC world.

So our computers are healthier?

No they obsessively talk about it. See this thread. Its about windows update, but half are from people going, "I use linux. He he *snort*"

Not to say I hate linux; I have a dedicated router PC running Gentoo Linux. But to me, thats where it belongs, in a server type application. I mean you can put a GUI on it, browse the internet. But games don't work. Adobe Premier doesn't work. Photoshop doesnt work. Might as well have a tablet; uses less power.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Im still running 1511, lol.

That was going to go EOL last week but they bumped it by a few more months. I would suggest updating to a newer build as soon as you can. You are missing out on a lot of nice tweaks that were introduced in 1607 and 1703.

Im literally on near base 1511. I stopped updating before 1607 came out becuase they were turning off a lot of options and tweaks in the Group policy editor and I didnt like that. I wanted to keep them.
Right now my uptime is 222 days straight, and it was over 100 prior to that when I rebooted for a problem (which rebooting didnt fix).
Ill think about it, and look at what all has changed, but I really don't want to mess with success.

I just keep separate SSDs in this workstation for 7, 10, Debian and a few other obscure ones. Keep going back to 7 more than anything else. Everybody has different needs. I like how lightweight 10 is on old hardware and things like native FLAC awareness help a bit too. I like Solaris more than Linux and BSD more than Solaris. I have a few boxes with Solaris and HP-UX running on native hardware. I don't do this professionally any more, but still like some strange environments. Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a living creature,like a language... Used to ba an Apple user, up until the switched to Intel.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
I just keep separate SSDs in this workstation for 7, 10, Debian and a few other obscure ones. Keep going back to 7 more than anything else. Everybody has different needs. I like how lightweight 10 is on old hardware and things like native FLAC awareness help a bit too. I like Solaris more than Linux and BSD more than Solaris. I have a few boxes with Solaris and HP-UX running on native hardware. I don't do this professionally any more, but still like some strange environments. Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a living creature,like a language... Used to ba an Apple user, up until the switched to Intel.

IRIX is one of my favourites
wink.gif

No they obsessively talk about it. See this thread. Its about windows update, but half are from people going, "I use linux. He he *snort*"

Not to say I hate linux; I have a dedicated router PC running Gentoo Linux. But to me, thats where it belongs, in a server type application. I mean you can put a GUI on it, browse the internet. But games don't work. Adobe Premier doesn't work. Photoshop doesnt work. Might as well have a tablet; uses less power.

Nailed it. It's not a bad OS, I used LM 17.1-18.2 and had fun ditro hopping but it has it's limits and it's very temperamental. Finally decided to switch back to Windows when it wouldn't support the fingerprint reader built into my laptops and the one kept crashing when waking up from suspend. I am quickly finding that since I do everything in Chrome, the OS doesn't matter.

I'm still using LM on an old Vista machine, but enjoying the switch back to W10 on my other machines.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Killer223 said:

Earlier I downloaded the .iso and moved one of my last machines off Linux, you can keep that joke of an os!

So, not just vegans, crossfitter vegans!

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Killer223

Me too, and the more chances I give Windows the less I like it.

Check. Unfortunately the same applies to Linux.

At the moment my best option is looking like backgrading my Windows 10 machine to Windows 7, if it'll let me.

I liked Win 7 a lot, I wish they'd continue to support it past the end of life cycle date.

XP support has stopped already with the exception of them supporting it for the US Government which they are paying for.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
XP support has stopped already with the exception of them supporting it for the US Government which they are paying for.
I have an old XP laptop I use for car diagnostics a couple times a year. Every time I use it and it connects to the internet there are a quiet a few updates that get downloaded.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-xp-support

Quote:

After 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014. Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 10.

Any updates you are getting are old updates, no new patches are being released.

Last edited:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-xp-support

Quote:

After 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014. Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 10.

Any updates you are getting are old updates, no new patches are being released.
If you say so. Next time I get it out maybe I can get the list that was updated last. It even gets Office updates.

Again you can get past updates still but there is no new updates for Windows XP. I provided you a link direct from Microsoft.

The US government is still getting updates specifically written for them but they are paying millions for it because it's cheaper than replacing everything at the moment. (These updates are not available to the public)

Again you can get past updates still but there is no new updates for Windows XP. I provided you a link direct from Microsoft.

The US government is still getting updates specifically written for them but they are paying millions for it because it's cheaper than replacing everything at the moment. (These updates are not available to the public)

updates for xp are available until 2019, just change your registry and reboot

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/...es-rolling.html

dishdude said:
Killer223 said:

Quote:

I had a friend post something on Facebook a couple of years ago; something to the effect of "If you knew someone who did CrossFit and was a vegan, which do you think they'd tell you about first?" I replied "as a CrossFit-doing vegan, I would tell you that I use Linux!" (Only my use of Linux remains to this day.)

Yes I'm aware of the registry hack. I was talking about "Officially" and SHOZ made no indication this is what he has done to obtain the updates, just that he turned on his computer and they were happening.
wink.gif

Yes I'm aware of the registry hack. I was talking about "Officially" and SHOZ made no indication this is what he has done to obtain the updates, just that he turned on his computer and they were happening.
wink.gif

LOLZ

Well yes I did do some sort of registry hack a couple years ago. Just can't remember what it was. None the less you can't say MS does not still support XP now can you.....

They are not supporting it. The updates you are receiving were not written for the public they were written for specific applications where they have been paid to do so and just delivered using existing infrastructure.

If you hadn't modified your XP then this would not be happening and your support would have properly ended in 2014.

The argument was if they ended support and they did for mainstream channels.

They are not supporting it. The updates you are receiving were not written for the public they were written for specific applications where they have been paid to do so and just delivered using existing infrastructure.

If you hadn't modified your XP then this would not be happening and your support would have properly ended in 2014.

The argument was if they ended support and they did for mainstream channels.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

I had a friend post something on Facebook a couple of years ago; something to the effect of "If you knew someone who did CrossFit and was a vegan, which do you think they'd tell you about first?" I replied "as a CrossFit-doing vegan, I would tell you that I use Linux!" (Only my use of Linux remains to this day.)

I like meat and dairy too much to be vegan, leat alone vegetarian.

But it was arthritis in my shoulder that keeps me out of CrossFit or BootCamp classes today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back