Windows 11 upgrade incompatibility

Anyone here who tried to upgrade from previous Windows version to Windows 11 but was not able to do so due to incompatibility issues such as unsupported (CPU) processors, hardware etc? Did you bought a new, refurbished or used machine that can support Windows 11?

Yes, a bunch of work laptops that are still serviceable I used Rufus to create a bootable USB drive with the Win11 ISO. Rufus has options to bypass the incompatibility and a few other setup options:

screenshot4_en.png

i was able to do mine . i needed to download a copy of it from windows media and use rufus to convert it to work. i think rufus removes the restriction

still using W-7 + 8.1 on older laptops but do NOT use for ANY financials + on-line odrering is done on my newest HP with W-10. IMO every newer edition is more a hassle + like phones i only need the basics!

Save for a couple hard requirements the CPU limitations are completely artificial.

They were going to cut off the $2000-3000 Surface Studio that one could STILL BUY NEW at the time until someone realized it over in Redmond - so they just made an arbitrary exception just for that one processor.

I would have minimal qualms about running it on older hardware, they’re just being extra heavy-handed about it - I would say it’s to both set expectations *just in case*, cut down on hardware to test (despite outsourcing it to users via the Insider program) and most importantly, promote new computer sales. 🙄

Yes, a bunch of work laptops that are still serviceable I used Rufus to create a bootable USB drive with the Win11 ISO. Rufus has options to bypass the incompatibility and a few other setup options:

screenshot4_en.png
Did the same thing, W11 works great on 6th/7th Gen Intel.

Windows 11 is an "Upgrade"??? To each his own... but I choose not to mess with a perfectly working system (Windows 7-10 on my machines).

TPM2.0 is a pretty big deal especially if you are using an SSD. While there are SSDs that have secure wipe using certificates, I would want full disk encryption for privacy. If you have nothing of value stored on the PC, then yeah it doesn't matter.

Windows 11 is an "Upgrade"??? To each his own... but I choose not to mess with a perfectly working system (Windows 7-10 on my machines).

I like 11 a lot more than I thought. IMO it's easier to get used to going from Win10 to Win11 compared to Win7 to Win8/10. The only things I wish I could change on it is some administrator type stuff like joining PCs to domain (I have to click a few extra butons) but otherwise it's been very pleasant.

still using W-7 + 8.1 on older laptops but do NOT use for ANY financials + on-line odrering is done on my newest HP with W-10. IMO every newer edition is more a hassle + like phones i only need the basics!

I don't understand posts like this. W10, in its current iteration, is almost identical to W7, except that some search features are a little better. I like that I can hit the windows button and type the program or feature I'm looking for and it pops right up. If you're going to the control panel to search for things you're doing it wrong.

Even if you don't do any financials, it doesn't make sense to stick with older windows iterations, especially 8.1. I'm running 10 on my FIRST-GENERATION i7 (Nehalem) processor, which works flawlessly.

I like 11 a lot more than I thought. IMO it's easier to get used to going from Win10 to Win11 compared to Win7 to Win8/10. The only things I wish I could change on it is some administrator type stuff like joining PCs to domain (I have to click a few extra butons) but otherwise it's been very pleasant.
I agree. I do like Windows 11 a lot. I did a fresh install on my Ryzen when I upgraded to a 5700x from a 2nd Gen Ryzen 5. It has been a great OS.

Haven't really got into deploying Windows 11 through MDT for anything at work, but I'm sure it'll be a decent OS.

Reactions: Pew

screenshot4_en.png
Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware of this with Rufus. Signing into MS account was a PITA, and I always had to disconnect from the internet.

Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware of this with Rufus. Signing into MS account was a PITA, and I always had to disconnect from the internet.
That’s incredible! Windows 11 Home forces you to connect to the internet while Pro might not - I’ll keep good ol Rufus in mind for next time.

But then again, I’m hoping to ride out Windows 10 support for another couple years and then decide what’s next.

That’s incredible! Windows 11 Home forces you to connect to the internet while Pro might not - I’ll keep good ol Rufus in mind for next time.

But then again, I’m hoping to ride out Windows 10 support for another couple years and then decide what’s next.
They started this on windows 10. They first ask you for your wifi credentials etc and then make you associate it with a msn/hotmail/xbox account. There's no way out of it unless you see the little button that says "no internet available." I found it nags you later as well. Of course there are ways around it later after your windows installation is setup. For my HTPC, I use a low power intel processor (5-10w) and ubuntu with no shell installed. It was a learning curve to setup, but rock solid and much more substantial than a Raspberry Pi 3.

Back