Window tint & paint protection on New car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new car for my kid, and I did a preliminary search of forums to find what window tint to apply. I also did a bit of looking into paint protection, because kids in CA tend to key or scratch the paint on purpose. Here is the initial information i have found. Any further input on these topics would be beneficial to me as well as future search operations on these two topics.

Window Tinting: I found an old thread here, that quotes the following films as the best: Huber Optik, Madico, Sun Guard, Sun Tek, Solar Guard, Lumar. I have used Lumar on my Civic, which stayed good for last 7 years without any problems. It costs around $250 locally. I am wanting to try a better brand this time and welcome suggestions. The primary criteria is heat rejection, not look of car. While browsing a website that was quoted on this thread, i found the following detail that seems useful. For those of you (like me), who do not want to perform a internet search, here are the definitions of terms:
VLT - Visible Light Transmission, indicates how dark or light the tint is. Notice that this does not indicate how much UV rays are rejected. UV rays are the primary cause of heat inside a car, though visible light contributes to the heat too.
TSER - Total Solar Energy Rejected, indicates how much heat energy can be rejected. So, this is more of a measure of heat inside a car, rather than VLT which can be used to get an idea of how dark the tint will look.
---------------------------------------

Quote:
Just did my homework on this.... just some info from the manufacturer websites.
The only two that top the list on performance are 3M Crystalline and Huper. They hit 60, but the price is beyond reason.

Global QDP Ceramic 32 32% VLT 58% TSER
Formula one pinnacle 30 33%VLT 57%TSER
Suntek CXP Carbon Ceramic 35% 33% VLT 53% TSER
Suntek Carbon 35% 35% VLT 43% TSER
Llumar CTX Ceramic 30% 33% VLT 51% TSER
Flex Films Panoflex Nano Ceramic 35% 37% VLT 46% TSER
Solar Gard Ultra Perfromance 30% 34% VLT 43% TSER

------------------------------------------
Paint protection : On the topic of exterior protection, i found that there is an expensive layer that can be applied on top of the car. This very tough plastic thin layer is called Clear Bra. There is a good description of this at http://www.lucentwraps.com/blog/what-is-clear-bra-for-cars-and-how-does-it-compare-to-car-wraps. This is an expensive film and the best price i found in bay area is around $650 for partial front and $1200 for the whole front side of a small car. This would not cover the side or back of car. I welcome suggestions from members here for an alternative to this, because i do not want to spend this much to cover the whole front side protection. Perhaps there is a spray coating or something that i can buy and apply myself to protect the paint, which can be peeled off after a few years and reapplied ?? I do not want to put any bumper covers that were popular before 2 decades.

Spectra Photosync is probably one of, if not the best tint out there now, but the price is ungodly high. Premier in Fremont is the only installer that I am aware of.

I have Huper optic ceramic on mine (automall tint factory in Fremont did the work) and it has been great. My only complaint is the reflectivity.

As far as paint protection film, my bumper is currently wearing Prestige Clearguard Nano from Premier. My hood wears XPEL Ultimate. Between the two, Clearguard Nano wins from an appearance standpoint. Durability is TBD though. But from what I've seen, PPF is a 3-5 year product as the appearance starts to degrade very noticeably after that point.

A clear piece of plastic will not, and is not purported to, protect your car from vandalism.

I did have a customer one time who was angry that her "polyshield" didn't stop her paint from being damaged by a brick. Really.

Our Acura MDX had a clear bra type product applied at the time of purchase, when my folks bought it new. By the time we bought it, with about 6 years and 50,000 miles of use, it looked horrible. I had it professionally removed right after we bought the car from them in 2011. I'm pretty sure that it didn't do much to protect the paint, despite its horrible appearance, because the paint under the bra looked no different than the rest of the paint and, four years later, there's still no difference in appearance between the paint that was protected vs. the paint that never was.

I never have bought a product like that for a vehicle before and, based on my limited experience, I'd never never buy anything like it in the future. Especially not to deter vandalism -- it's just not that durable. And it doesn't cover the sides of the car, which are probably more likely to suffer intentional keying than the hood.

Don't waste your money on all the stuff for a depreciating asset in 5 years there is a good chance some careless people will do a hit and run or be keyed or get into a wreck The paint will peal etc,parking lot dings shopping cart dents. Etc.
My mom bought a brand new Accura RL with all the junk that can be bought in 2005 the car cost almost $50.000 the cars high Bluebook today is close to $15,000 the car is mint with onlt 14,8889 miles. Why protect a car?

Tint is pretty useful to help with interior degradation and fading, but I don't see any benefit of the clear bra, unless I was commuting very long distances all at highway speeds. But even then, they are very expensive and will only protect against small paint chips.

Clear bra are only useful for rock chips and small debris from the road, no more.

I have it on my BMW (front and back bumper for people parking by feel) and the whole hood.

I had also on my previous car, a Nissan Rogue but just a 8 inch wide on the front of the hood.
When I sold the Rogue, I had to go to a body shop for a lot of small scratches around the car, but nothing to be done on the hood.

My miata has been poorly repainted on the hood before I bought it: she got a not so small rock and was not protected.

Depending of what you want, a clear bra could be a good investment. Go to youtube, they are several videos explaining what a clear bra can do and what it cannot.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Don't waste your money on all the stuff for a depreciating asset in 5 years there is a good chance some careless people will do a hit and run or be keyed or get into a wreck The paint will peal etc,parking lot dings shopping cart dents. Etc.

This is good advice if you live or work in a rough neighborhood.
Originally Posted By: CT8
My mom bought a brand new Accura RL with all the junk that can be bought in 2005 the car cost almost $50.000 the cars high Bluebook today is close to $15,000 the car is mint with onlt 14,8889 miles. Why protect a car?

10 year old cars are rarely worth much, unless they are special (convertible, rare high performance options, etc.) People protect a car so it is worth more at 6 years, the average age for US trade-ins. At 6 years (or less) and living in a nice neighborhood, parking in a garage, and taking reasonable precautions, you'll be getting a lot more than a trashed 10 year old car.

I compared all the specs for various films (you can find the film specs on each manufacturers website). I rejected the Llumar film which was substandard (and perhaps the cheapest, not sure). 3M makes several good quality ones, and "Crystaline" was the best they make and most expensive. In SF bay area, i got quotes around $650 to $850 to tint a subcompact 5 windows. So, i settled for what i felt was the second best in terms of TSER & VLT specs among the many that i compared. At a cost of $360, FormulaOne Pinnacle series is what i chose because it was about half the cost of 3M Crystalline. I could not find the second tier of 3M films in the places i contacted. There are some specialty shops around here who charge over $1000 for tinting high end sports cars, but the films i compared are the brands that are commonly found. After having spent several hours researching this topic, my conclusion is that it would be a waste of time, to read about anything other than VLT & TSER, in order to get an idea of what you want.

Regarding the clear-bra coat, i decided it was too expensive. It would make a good invention, if someone invented a product like that for covering the whole car at fractional cost of clear bra.

My new to me 2013 Ford F150 came with a 3M protective film.

It has done a fantastic job of protecting the front end from stones and road debris. Another great bonus is bugs are a breeze to wipe away. You have to look really hard to notice the protective film.

So far so good.

As for Tint I had the VW tinted professionally at a Auto Glass shop (Uniglass + Ziebart) in town. The driver side window did develop a small tear due to some ice build up I am guessing. Brought it back in and to my delight the tint is warrantied for life and got a free replacement installed
smile.gif

Last edited:
Clear bra is a good idea, if it is a quality product and installed by an experienced and reputable installer. I've heard and seen horror stories of poor install jobs; knife scratches in paint; poor adhesion etc. Really, you should look into a quality paint coating like Opti Coat etc to attempt to protect the paint work; it is an easy enough process for an amateur DIY detailer to do and keeps the car cleaner for longer while offering a bit of protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back